Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

Just now, Akomplice said:

Bortles had an interesting finish to the season, certainly wasn't the problem in the playoffs. The Jags really aren't paying him that much in terms of guaranteed money, almost makes me think that Lamar Jackson could be a real option for them in the draft. With Robinson/Westbrook/Cole potential attack next year, Bortles might just look decent next year.

lamar likely isnt an option. Coughlin only likes Senior QBs so likely Mayfield, Rudolph, falk, white, laulatta(im sure im misspelling his name but it should be close)

So, instead of being hamstrung by Blake Bortles for the 2018 season, the Jaguars have decided it is preferable to be hamstrung by Blake Bortles for the 2018 and 2019 season instead.  But don't worry, this will help them resign guys who won't be free agents until 2020 or 2021.  Because that makes any kind of sense. 

There is no overreaction.  This is a horrible move and why sports personalities are even attempting to defend this is beyond me.   You could have given this money to someone better.  Josh McCown, A.J. McCarron, Sam Bradford.  They're not great options, but they're certainly better than Blake Bortles. 

And no, Bortles is not slightly below average.  He's bottom six among starting QB's at best.  That's not "slightly below average".  Make up you list of your top 32 QB's.  Look at who you have at #20.  That's "slightly below average".  Now take a look at who you have at #30.  It might be Blake Bortles.  That's the bottom of the barrel. 

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

lamar likely isnt an option. Coughlin only likes Senior QBs so likely Mayfield, Rudolph, falk, white, laulatta(im sure im misspelling his name but it should be close)

You gotta stop with this.

Just now, Crickett said:

So, instead of being hamstrung by Blake Bortles for the 2018 season, the Jaguars have decided it is preferable to be hamstrung by Blake Bortles for the 2018 and 2019 season instead.  But don't worry, this will help them resign guys who won't be free agents until 2020 or 2021.  Because that makes any kind of sense. 

There is no overreaction.  This is a horrible move and why sports personalities are even attempting to defend this is beyond me.   You could have given this money to someone better.  Josh McCown, A.J. McCarron, Sam Bradford.  They're not great options, but they're certainly better than Blake Bortles. 

And no, Bortles is not slightly below average.  He's bottom six among starting QB's at best.  That's not "slightly below average".  Make up you list of your top 32 QB's.  Look at who you have at #20.  That's "slightly below average".  Now take a look at who you have at #30.  It might be Blake Bortles.  That's the bottom of the barrel. 

t9JIBEr.gif

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I've always found this weird. Unless said Titans fan is legitimately Marcus Mariota, I'm not quite sure what the quarterback for the team he roots for has to do with his ability to form an opinion of Blake Bortles.

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I've always found this weird. Unless said Titans fan is legitimately Marcus Mariota, I'm not quite sure what the quarterback for the team he roots for has to do with his ability to form an opinion of Blake Bortles.

Because yall act like Mariota is like some God-like QB who can do no wrong but last year he was Putrid, rotten garbage. 

8 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

thats awful rich for a Team who decided to Bench an Average QB like Tyrod for a 5th round Rookie who then went on to throw 5 Picks on like 14 attempts and trades a very good DT for a 5th. 

And we didn't extend him for 54 million for his poor play... There is no way you could say thats a good move. It's idiotic. 

Not sure what the Bills have to do with this move.

Just now, marshawn lynch said:

And we didn't extend him for 54 million for his poor play... There is no way you could say thats a good move. It's idiotic. 

Not sure what the Bills have to do with this move.

i just find it funny a Bills fan blasting a solid move so your not stuck with having to either Force pick a QB this year, or having to end up franchise/transition tagging bortles. 

its a 2 year deal with a then  we will see.  i wanna see the numbers breakdown by year  before u can say if the move is good or bad. 

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Because yall act like Mariota is like some God-like QB who can do no wrong but last year he was Putrid, rotten garbage. 

The only Mariota thread on the first page of the Titans forum is called "Marcus Mariota - When is the time to panic?" But yes, God-like quarterback. 

With that said, I'm not going to derail this thread with Mariota and Titans talk when it should be all about Bortles.

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

only when people finally realize Coughlins the boss and coughlin lead teams only draft Senior QBs.  i looked up every qb he drafted/involved in the process with. they All were seniors. 

Coughlin doesn't have to worry about development with Lamar. He may be the boss but he isnt the coach on the sidelines working with the QB. So I'm not sure why it matters what he got in NYG and JAX 10+ years ago. 

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Love to see overreactions about how bad Bortles allegedly is.

The people who didn't watch the Jaguars much this past season outside of the game(s) they played against us/keep lumping him in with the jokes social media made about him in the past.

No way, if you watch every game and evaluate him on a whole this last season, they would say he's bad or this isn't smart $ move for the Jaguars and a smart move if they weren't going after Cousins.

I don't blame them at all.  He showed real progress this year, they already have a lot of expensive contracts + young talent that will need to get paid.

They are betting on Bortles playing better with his WRs actually healthy.  Get him a reliable TE and a receiving back.  If he still fails then you get out of the deal in 2 years.

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i just find it funny a Bills fan blasting a solid move so your not stuck with having to either Force pick a QB this year, or having to end up franchise/transition tagging bortles. 

its a 2 year deal with a then  we will see.  i wanna see the numbers breakdown by year  before u can say if the move is good or bad. 

Well it is... Jaguars had a chance to make them selfs a super bowl contender. The QB free agent class is the best I've seen in years. And the QB class is pretty good as well. There are 5 or 6 1st rounders. But this move just screams overpaying for mediocrity. Typical Marrone... He always settles.

Archived