2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

Just now, Danger said:

The only question I have for Barkley is does he make it to #4?

4.40 officially, and he didn't get his best launch on either run.

Honestly? I'm thinking he won't. I think if Cleveland loves him, they have to take him at 1 because Indy has to be salivating at #3 for him and the Giants aren't locked into a quarterback at #2 either if they really believe Manning has a couple additional years left. 

Cleveland will take Barkley first overall I'm guessing. They really need a feature back and this kid is the real deal. Honestly, I like him better than I did Zeke coming out. If their aging o-line can hold it together, it will help out Kizer or whomever is calling the shots next season, tremendously. We could see a drastic turnaround.

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Looks like Barkley showed out as expected. How did the UGA backs look today? Stock going up or down?

Michel was a hair slower than expected in the 40 (4.55, 4.58, I was expecting 4.50-ish) - but the 3-cone and shuttle will matter just as much.   His change of direction and hips were very good.  Chubb hit 4.53.     The guy who helped himself a lot in the 40 was Penny (and Ballage).   Penny looked a little stiff later on, so I want to see how his 3-cone and shuttle goes.

Ronald Jones got hurt, but he wasn't going to show elite speed, the JC comps were really lazy (yes he wears 25 and wears dreadlocks and fashions his game after JC...but that's where the talent comp ends).  His stock is going down.

Having said that, the 3-cone and 20-yd shuttle are way more important for short-area explosion/quicks IMO.  Still to come.  Disappointed Barkley isn't doing the 3-cone and passed on the broad, only because that profile is looking obscene (4.41 40 and 41' vert at 230+ is NUTS).

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Michel was a hair slower than expected in the 40 (4.55, 4.58, I was expecting 4.50-ish) - but the 3-cone and shuttle will matter just as much.   His change of direction and hips were very good.  Chubb hit 4.53.     The guy who helped himself a lot was Penny so far.

Ronald Jones got hurt, but he wasn't going to show elite speed, the JC comps were really lazy (yes he wears 25 and wears dreadlocks and fashions his game after JC...but that's where the talent comp ends).

Having said that, the 3-cone and 20-yd shuttle are way more important for short-area explosion/quicks IMO.  Still to come.  Disappointed Barkley isn't doing the 3-cone, only because that profile is looking obscene (4.41 at 230+ is NUTS).

Glad to see Chubb ran well. I didn't think he had that in him the last two years. The rest of his game is rock solid. He'll be a good one. Yeah, that looks a bit slow for Michel but he can make it up like you said.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly? I'm thinking he won't. I think if Cleveland loves him, they have to take him at 1 because Indy has to be salivating at #3 for him and the Giants aren't locked into a quarterback at #2 either if they really believe Manning has a couple additional years left. 

Well, you also have to figure that 1) Shurmur's offense is predicated off of establish-the-run/run-first if I'm not mistaken (I mean, this tends to be a trend among OC's/HC's that are former OL coaches) and 2) the Giants have seen from past season's that Eli, when he has a functioning running game (which they've lacked for at least 2 seasons now), can still be an effective QB.

The big question, I suppose, is who has the most stroke when it comes to the draft picks and specifically #2: Gettleman or Shurmur?

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Michel was a hair slower than expected in the 40 (4.55, 4.58, I was expecting 4.50-ish) - but the 3-cone and shuttle will matter just as much.   His change of direction and hips were very good.  Chubb hit 4.53.     The guy who helped himself a lot in the 40 was Penny (and Ballage).   Penny looked a little stiff later on, so I want to see how his 3-cone and shuttle goes.

Ronald Jones got hurt, but he wasn't going to show elite speed, the JC comps were really lazy (yes he wears 25 and wears dreadlocks and fashions his game after JC...but that's where the talent comp ends).

Having said that, the 3-cone and 20-yd shuttle are way more important for short-area explosion/quicks IMO.  Still to come.  Disappointed Barkley isn't doing the 3-cone, only because that profile is looking obscene (4.41 at 230+ is NUTS).

Debatable on Jones.  He's a former HS 100-meter runner whose posted a 10.83 in that event and acceleration was one of his strong points.  He had a good chance to hit the really low 4.4's and potential break 4.4 IMO.

But ultimately, you hit the nail on the head in that people can't just look at the 40-time and start crossing guys off lists.  You have to look for that time and the 3-cone and short-shuttle to confirm or deny what you see on tape as to how the guy wins on the field.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Debatable on Jones.  He's a former HS 100-meter runner whose posted a 10.83 in that event and acceleration was one of his strong points.  He had a good chance to hit the really low 4.4's and potential break 4.4 IMO.

But ultimately, you hit the nail on the head in that people can't just look at the 40-time and start crossing guys off lists.  You have to look for that time and the 3-cone and short-shuttle to confirm or deny what you see on tape as to how the guy wins on the field.

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to the 40 - more that JC's 3-cone and shuttle were elite coming out of college (yes, CMC was just insane).  The one thing Jones has that's comparable to JC skill-wise (besides #25 and dreadlocks lol) is straight line speed.   I didn't see the short-area burst that JC had, that's what I was referring to.    

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Chubb for sure. It seemed like Michel was touted as the much better athlete of the two, but Chubb's testing looks otherwise.

Again, I'll take what I see on the field (Michel has enough to pull away if he gets a crease), but they ultimately win differently.  Michel is the make-guys-miss, tough-to-tackle because he's difficult to wrap-up type.  Chubb's just a different mold who wins in different ways.  Both should be effective backs in the league.  I mean, people seem to forget that Kamara ran a 4.56s last year at the combine and was damn near impossible to bring down on first contact this season... and I don't think anyone's doubting Kamara's athleticism after the season he just put up.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to the 40 - more that JC's 3-cone and shuttle were elite coming out of college.  The one thing Jones has that's comparable to JC skill-wise (besides #25 and dreadlocks lol) is straight line speed.   I didn't see the short-area burst that JC had, that's what I was referring to.    

I don't see it at the variety of vectors that JC had.  Straight-line, I think he's pretty close to on par with JC, but JC had the uncanny ability to pop off that acceleration (the proverbial 0 to 60) from an incredibly wide range of vectors/cut-angles.  I don't see that fluidity in Jones' game.

Archived