2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Again, I'll take what I see on the field (Michel has enough to pull away if he gets a crease), but they ultimately win differently.  Michel is the make-guys-miss, tough-to-tackle because he's difficult to wrap-up type.  Chubb's just a different mold who wins in different ways.  Both should be effective backs in the league.  I mean, people seem to forget that Kamara ran a 4.56s last year at the combine and was damn near impossible to bring down on first contact this season... and I don't think anyone's doubting Kamara's athleticism after the season he just put up.

Agreed they're different runners.   We all recognize that short-area burst, vision, lateral agility, etc. matter just as much, if not more - so there's a lot more to the equation than looking at the 40 and size.   Kamara's other intangible is his unbelievable balance - guys can't just hit him and force him out of bounds down the sidelines or tackle him high near the 1st down/GL marker and expect him to go down - he shrugs those off, and stays upright, and gets more yardage/finds the EZ.  That was what ppl never saw coming.  It's at an an elite level, even with just "OK" top-end speed (enough to pull away, but not elite by itself).

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Again, I'll take what I see on the field (Michel has enough to pull away if he gets a crease), but they ultimately win differently.  Michel is the make-guys-miss, tough-to-tackle because he's difficult to wrap-up type.  Chubb's just a different mold who wins in different ways.  Both should be effective backs in the league.  I mean, people seem to forget that Kamara ran a 4.56s last year at the combine and was damn near impossible to bring down on first contact this season... and I don't think anyone's doubting Kamara's athleticism after the season he just put up.

I wasn't doubting Michel's either. I said Chubb has proven to be a better athlete than given credit.

Just now, Jlash said:

I wasn't doubting Michel's either. I said Chubb has proven to be a better athlete than given credit.

Yeah, I guess it depends on who you're asking to give him credit.  Dude's was a state championship qualifier (high school, but still...) in all sprinting categories as well as the long jump, and was sporting a 40" vertical back then too.  Yes, the knee injury and that probably sapped some, but he was working with a wealth of athleticism to begin with.  I think a lot of people just allowed his freshman and sophomore seasons (pre-injury) to slip their minds.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, I don't know that it's the full package, but it's hard arguing he has the potential to be.  I see A LOT of LT traits in Barkley.  A LOT.

Measurable wise, he's bigger and faster than LT was coming out.

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, I don't know that it's the full package, but it's hard arguing he has the potential to be.  I see A LOT of LT traits in Barkley.  A LOT.

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

Measurable wise, he's bigger and faster than LT was coming out.

Consider this....

O.oO.oO.o

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think there's about a 90% chance that Saquon Barkley becomes an elite NFL player.

There's significantly less of a chance that Darnold or any of these QB's do the same.

That is the argument. I love all of these quarterbacks, especially Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. Any of those three and I'd be thrilled. We're guaranteed one of those guys regardless of where we pick. I'd still probably take the QB I wanted #1, but man would I love to have the two best players in the last two drafts on our roster (Barkley/Garrett). Both are uber fuhhhreaks.

I'd be pretty irritated if we took a QB at #1 and then Barkley went 2 or 3. I don't like Minkah Fitzpatrick or Bradley Chubb, who would be the favorites for our picks at that spot.

We'll see what happens in free agency for the Giants and Colts. That is likely to determine how probable it is for Barkley to land at pick #4.

Trust me I definitely get why someone would want Barkley at 1 if you were ok with any of the QBs. I just have Darnold 1a and Rosen 1b and am not sold on the other guys. If I’m a GM I’m just not about to take that chance. I stay at one and take who I feel will be the best of the bunch. I can’t lie if we took Barkley at 4 I’m not going to hate it especially if he goes on to have an all pro career. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm a big Jewell fan. Great instincts as well. If he just checks the boxes on all the physical things, he's an 8-10 year starter for someone (or you know, multiple teams) 

I’m a fan because I heard he has a brother named Family. 

Also, anyone else having a problem getting hyped about Brian O'Neill's quality 40 and more so 3-cone times due to the eye-test on his lower-body?  Granted, I had the same concerned about DJ Humphries coming out and he's eventually come good, but I have a hard time getting past O'Neill's chicken legs.

41 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yep.com

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Worth pointing out, and I admit I haven't listened to all the coaches' pressers yet, but Anthony Lynn is someone I distinctly recall hearing call him "a very good quarterback" and has also stressed (this sounds more like coachspeak to me, but you get where I'm going) that they'll take 'the best player available at #17" and that "they fit their scheme to the players."  I don't know if I'm sold that the Chargers would take him at #17, but if he falls to the mid-20's, I wouldn't actually be shocked if they traded up from the 2nd using future picks to get him under the 5th year option.

Archived