Packers 1st round pick

Golfman

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, sure.  But is it the best use of resources?  Probably not.

There would be no better use of resources than getting two pass rushers deserving of their spots with our first two picks. Is be thrilled if we drafted 4 pass rushers with our first 4 picks.

8 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Per Mike Renner:

The list of 250+ pound D-Linemen drafted in R1 with sub 6.9 3-cones at combine since 2000:

• DeMarcus Ware
  • JJ Watt
  • David Pollack
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Joey Bosa T
  • J Watt
  • (Soon to be) Harold Landry

Safe to say I am fully on board with the Landry at 14 train. Only issue is I think he may have jumped Davenport with that workout and I am personally out on Davenport, we need an instant impact player not a project. James/Edmunds/Landry at 14 for me. I tend to think they will go corner in FA just due to the number of options compared to the EDGE. 

Josh Allen, 6.9 3-cone too. Not bad for a QB. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There would be no better use of resources than getting two pass rushers deserving of their spots with our first two picks. Is be thrilled if we drafted 4 pass rushers with our first 4 picks.

Agree. Ron Wolf always said you can’t have too many CB’s but with the rule changes hand cuffing CB’s, pass rushers are of equal value now too. Can’t have too many. You can always play 4 great edge rushers on passing downs if you got em. 

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Agree. Ron Wolf always said you can’t have too many CB’s but with the rule changes hand cuffing CB’s, pass rushers are of equal value now too. Can’t have too many. You can always play 4 great edge rushers on passing downs if you got em. 

pass rushers can really come from all levels of defense too - so my statement could be satisfied if we drafted a DT w/ 3-down potential, a 3-down blitzer at ILB, a safety/CB who can blitz too ha

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

pass rushers can really come from all levels of defense too - so my statement could be satisfied if we drafted a DT w/ 3-down potential, a 3-down blitzer at ILB, a safety/CB who can blitz too ha

I agree with this too. 

“The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard!”    Al Davis

39 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I agree with this too. 

“The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard!”    Al Davis

Unfortunately, Anthony Barr lived that quote on October 15th 2017 to its fullest.

We definitely should add another pass-rusher but the Pettine scheme emphasizes coverage-sacks over pass-rush. DB is more valuable. It would not bother me if we address it as late as one of our 3rd's.

To that end, I can see a Minkah Fitzpatrick slide happening, not merely into viable trade-up range but quite possibly even to 14. Hooker fell to 15 last year, with Adams overtaking him with leadership intangibles; Derwin James has the same qualities and is an even better athlete. Fitzpatrick is a good football player but did not "wow" at the Combine and the hype-train for other players could overtake him.

Just now, Gopher Trace said:

We definitely should add another pass-rusher but the Pettine scheme emphasizes coverage-sacks over pass-rush. DB is more valuable. It would not bother me if we address it as late as one of our 3rd's.

To that end, I can see a Minkah Fitzpatrick slide happening, not merely into viable trade-up range but quite possibly even to 14. Hooker fell to 15 last year, with Adams overtaking him with leadership intangibles; Derwin James has the same qualities and is an even better athlete. Fitzpatrick is a good football player but did not "wow" at the Combine and the hype-train for other players could overtake him.

Interesting.  Tell me about Fitzpatrick.  What's he like? 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He's a bigger Mathieu. I don't see him getting to us. Malik Hooker fell due to size, durability and one year production concerns. Minkah has prototype size, been productive since his freshman year and doesn't have any durability concerns. If he made it to the SF/Oak range, I think those two would be jumping for joy.

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Oh hai tongue-splitter! ;)

I don't watch college 'ball like I used to; I'm far more interested in spotting the trends of the draft, but my read on him as a player is that he's a do-it-all DB. Fitz has been consistently mocked in the Top-5 by draftniks but I have him pegged as a guy that will go lower than expected -- maybe to 14, maybe not, but it'll be a slide all the same.

Ray makes valid points about red-flags with Hooker contributing to his fall, but he misses my main point. I don't think Fitz falls due to any flags but more due to a lack of hype relative to other players. He's a solid all-around player but his game is not as sexy as guys like James, Vea, Edmunds, Ward, etc. Also, I am all but counting on 4 QB picks ahead of us. *edit* You mention size, but on paper, Fitz and Hooker have practically identical height/weight. NFL.com's draft profile actually lists Fitzpatrick 5 pounds lighter at the same height.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That hasn't been my name since The Great Sorrow.

What will you call the event of us taking a WR at 14?

24 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Oh hai tongue-splitter! ;)

I don't watch college 'ball like I used to; I'm far more interested in spotting the trends of the draft, but my read on him as a player is that he's a do-it-all DB. Fitz has been consistently mocked in the Top-5 by draftniks but I have him pegged as a guy that will go lower than expected -- maybe to 14, maybe not, but it'll be a slide all the same.

Ray makes valid points about red-flags with Hooker contributing to his fall, but he misses my main point. I don't think Fitz falls due to any flags but more due to a lack of hype relative to other players. He's a solid all-around player but his game is not as sexy as guys like James, Vea, Edmunds, Ward, etc. Also, I am all but counting on 4 QB picks ahead of us. *edit* You mention size, but on paper, Fitz and Hooker have practically identical height/weight. NFL.com's draft profile actually lists Fitzpatrick 5 pounds lighter at the same height.

You're right, Hooker is bigger than I remember. Still Minkah has tons of hype, he's universally the #1 DB on every draft analysts big board. I don't think Hooker ever surpassed Adams and Lattimore as far as who people thought was the best DB in the draft.

Archived