Packers 1st round pick

Golfman

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Agree. How the hell can I guy come to the combine and literally NOT be able to move backwards? In the W drill, he runs to the cone and came to a complete stop! then struggled to backpedal until the coach, through the grace of god, called for him to hit the next cone and catch the pass. Almost as sad as watching Orlando Brown run the 40!

But his workout wasn’t even that bad. Looking at the workout the thing I would say is he is too high in his back pedal and he isn’t natural in his hips so those transitions are bad.

He looks like a guy uncomfortable doing quick change of direction. Meaning he can’t turn and run. If you are going to be a zone team... he checks the boxes though. I don’t think it’s from a lack of not wanting it or being lazy. It’s just a fact that he is a bigger corner and he likely struggles with staying low in his back pedal, bad technique = bad results.

He looked to be overly thinking while doing the drills too. It’s why he seems to stop. He is fighting those transitions.

This one will tick some people off, trade up.  Packers send 2018 #1, 2018 #4, 2019 #1 and 2020 #1, to Browns for 2018 #1.  With the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select, SAQUON BARKLEY RB  Penn St.  Then Packers trade up again, with the Browns.  Packers send 2018 #2, #3 and 2020 4th rd for Browns 2018 2#1 pick.  With the first pick in round #2, the Green Bay Packers select,  HAROLD LANDRY EDGE BC.  Just saying!?!?!

2 minutes ago, jleisher said:

This one will tick some people off, trade up.  Packers send 2018 #1, 2018 #4, 2019 #1 and 2020 #1, to Browns for 2018 #1.  With the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select, SAQUON BARKLEY RB  Penn St.  Then Packers trade up again, with the Browns.  Packers send 2018 #2, #3 and 2020 4th rd for Browns 2018 2#1 pick.  With the first pick in round #2, the Green Bay Packers select,  HAROLD LANDRY EDGE BC.  Just saying!?!?!

Put down the pipe and back away from the table.  

3 minutes ago, jleisher said:

GB does not need a RB.  Barkley is a great prospect, but when you have Rodgers, you don't need a top 5-10 RB to make the offense go.  Jones/Williams/Montgomery are enough to provide the necessary pieces at RB.   There are just too many needs to fill at other positions at EDGE, CB, TE, WR (for 2019) to take a RB and give up that much draft capital.  

Just now, squire12 said:

GB does not need a RB.  Barkley is a great prospect, but when you have Rodgers, you don't need a top 5-10 RB to make the offense go.  Jones/Williams/Montgomery are enough to provide the necessary pieces at RB.   There are just too many needs to fill at other positions at EDGE, CB, TE, WR (for 2019) to take a RB and give up that much draft capital.  

Fair, but what if he's as good as they say and he opens up the Packers offense even more and saves Rodgers from the running and extra hits.  Still not worth it?  What if you could get TE's Fumagalli and Conklin in rounds 5 and 6.  CB's Toliver and Brown with your extra 5th rd picks?  DJ Clark in rd #4 and two OL in rds #7.  Still no?

5 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Fair, but what if he's as good as they say and he opens up the Packers offense even more and saves Rodgers from the running and extra hits.  Still not worth it?  What if you could get TE's Fumagalli and Conklin in rounds 5 and 6.  CB's Toliver and Brown with your extra 5th rd picks?  DJ Clark in rd #4 and two OL in rds #7.  Still no?

Nobody but a can't miss QB is worth those picks.  Rodgers wouldn't throw him the ball anyway.

30 minutes ago, jleisher said:

GB needs help on D at Pass rush and in the secondary.  Barkley would be a luxury player if he were to fall to pick 14, I would still likely not draft him.   Certainly would not give up 3 first round picks and a 2018 4th round pick for him.  

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB needs help on D at Pass rush and in the secondary.  Barkley would be a luxury player if he were to fall to pick 14, I would still likely not draft him.   Certainly would not give up 3 first round picks and a 2018 4th round pick for him.  

Barkley may well go #1 overall to Cleveland. If have no interest in drafting a RB in round 1, but if that kid is there at #14 something terrible happened between today and draft day. Since that kid is clean as can be, I don't see us having to labor over that decision. He won't get past #4 and surprised if Indy passed on him. The only way I see Indy passing is if Cleveland at #1 and Giants at #2 both take QB's. Which I think is unlikely. 

On 3/5/2018 at 7:59 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

ILB as the second greatest need ? I don't think so. The Packers have invested a 4th, 4th again, and 2nd round pick (that's how I see J.jones being used) in the last three drafts. I'd go with something more like pass rusher, then some combination of TE, CB, WR. I'd like a mid rounder spent on a lineman and a mid/late pick on a QB and a developmental S. Drafting an ILB is bumping bottom along with DL and punter. That's not to say the Packers won't get a developmental pick at ILB, just not an early one.

I said third greatest, not second (after pass rusher and CB), and that's only if a really special ILB is available. It's debatable whether Josh Jones counts as a linebacker, and spending two fourth round picks at the position in the past two drafts is not a huge commitment, in my opinion. Blake Martinez is a pretty good player, but Jake Ryan is average, so I think the defense could benefit from an upgrade at ILB. 

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

What is this draft day?  Yes this would tick me off.  Let's just throw away our future.  If anything the Packers should trade down to the low 20's gain some ammo and try to score another 2nd rounder in this draft.  Have a low 20 pick and 2 picks in the 40's.  Have a feeling Gute will probably stay put at 14 but depends on who falls.  May try to engineer a trade up  with all those comp picks.  

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

But his workout wasn’t even that bad. Looking at the workout the thing I would say is he is too high in his back pedal and he isn’t natural in his hips so those transitions are bad.

He looks like a guy uncomfortable doing quick change of direction. Meaning he can’t turn and run. If you are going to be a zone team... he checks the boxes though. I don’t think it’s from a lack of not wanting it or being lazy. It’s just a fact that he is a bigger corner and he likely struggles with staying low in his back pedal, bad technique = bad results.

He looked to be overly thinking while doing the drills too. It’s why he seems to stop. He is fighting those transitions.

I’m sorry but that’s crazy.  He’s not that big of a CB for one. Second, I’m 49 years old, in pretty decent shape and truth be told, I’m pretty positive I could run that drill faster than he did and I never play d a down of football.

I watched it, it was embarrassing for a CB who was thought of as a 1st round pick.  Not confident... are you serious? They are asking him to RUN FORWARD THEN REVERSE AND RUN BACKWARDS AS FAST AS YOU CAN. What’s there to think about!?

33 minutes ago, squire12 said:

IF we had the first pick and Chubb was not in this draft I think I would take Barkley. He’s that good; but that’s not the case. 

43 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’m sorry but that’s crazy.  He’s not that big of a CB for one. Second, I’m 49 years old, in pretty decent shape and truth be told, I’m pretty positive I could run that drill faster than he did and I never play d a down of football.

I watched it, it was embarrassing for a CB who was thought of as a 1st round pick.  Not confident... are you serious? They are asking him to RUN FORWARD THEN REVERSE AND RUN BACKWARDS AS FAST AS YOU CAN. What’s there to think about!?

Josh Jackson’s workout starts at 3:54 in the above video. It’s not that bad. Again he basically is standing up straight. Which is causing him to miss with his feet on the transition. So it’s making him double step and stop.

I grant you he isn’t “smooth” by any means. But it’s not like the dude was falling all over himself and was just embrassing himself. He had poor technique and it comes from being stiff. 

** also his feet aren’t position well under him. So it doesn’t give him a good base to do nice “sewing machine” movement with his legs in his back pedal.

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Nobody but a can't miss QB is worth those picks.  Rodgers wouldn't throw him the ball anyway.

That's why we then trade Rodgers to get all those picks back (and more!)

Hundley will throw Barkley the ball.

Archived