The Coaches Want Rosen at 1?, & Other Serious Browns Draft Rumblings

Mind Character

2 minutes ago, REBEL65 said:

I guess you missed his 23 picks and numerous fumbles last season as being great for the top pick in the draft

What are you talking about?

I did miss that because he had 22 over the last 2 years.

26 minutes ago, REBEL65 said:

Sam Darnold is the next coming of Ryan Leaf

You know the problem

people think QBs fail because they throw interceptions 

thats false

QBs fail because because they throw interceptions and can’t throw touchdowns 

that isnt Darnolds problem

plenty of successful QBs have turned the ball over and maintained success 

you just gotta score TDs and win 

Darnold can do that 

To piggyback on @brownie man‘ s point, lots of good prospects threw picks in college, Winston is a recent example, but they also made plays and put points on the board and won games.

As these guys gain experience and learn to read defenses more efficiently, understand what their doing within the scheme, those INT’s decline, but the big plays remain. Some guys, Eli for example, still turns it over a lot, but he has the ability to put points on the board.

If a guy isn’t a playmaker it’s hard to teach that trait. Darnold is a top shelf playmaker imo.

Last 8 games of the year, Darnold threw 4 picks. Got off to a pick heavy start (whilst winning) and the stat line couldn't recover. But he corrected the interception issue somewhat, as I say.

22 picks in 2 years isn't panic stations. Manning bros, Garoppolo, Ryan, Watson, Winston etc all had more picks. It's the fumbles that have made this a narrative that hangs around him. Rosen has almost identical pick numbers and it doesn't get brought up; he's as clean as it gets, apparently.

And whilst we're at it, Rosen apparently plays for a useless UCLA offense whilst Darnold plays with a good USC offensive cast. Check who gets drafted from each respective offense and get back to me on that after. That should be interesting. When Darnold has no drafted linemen, Rosen has two go early/middle. Maybe even one in the first. When Darnold has no drafted receivers and Jordan Lasley goes in the early/middle rounds. RoJo is the only guy.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Last 8 games of the year, Darnold threw 4 picks. Got off to a pick heavy start (whilst winning) and the stat line couldn't recover. But he corrected the interception issue somewhat, as I say.

Just do this doesn’t get missed, 7 of his 9 picks were in wins.  He was taking chances, putting points on the board and winning.  This also was in large part to a new (and awful) OL.

22 picks in 2 years isn't panic stations. Manning bros, Garoppolo, Ryan, Watson, Winston etc all had more picks. It's the fumbles that have made this a narrative that hangs around him. Rosen has almost identical pick numbers and it doesn't get brought up; he's as clean as it gets, apparently.

Yessir.  Eli fumbled a lot early on too.  Depending on what’s going on, it can be corrected.  Darnold has a bad habit of not keeping his off hand on the football.  That’s not uncommon for a guy who’s only played the position for a few years and is easily correctable.

And whilst we're at it,

I love the British flair here lol... 

Rosen apparently plays for a useless UCLA offense whilst Darnold plays with a good USC offensive cast. Check who gets drafted from each respective offense and get back to me on that after. That should be interesting. When Darnold has no drafted linemen, Rosen has two go early. When Darnold has no drafted receivers and Jordan Lasley goes in the middle rounds. RoJo is the only guy.

He elevated ? all season long.

Give Darnold a 4th round tackle in Banner, and a couple NFL worthy UDFAs in Wheeler and Mama, as well as JuJu to throw to, and he takes a team that got romped 52-6 to winning every game except his debut. In his first season. Throwing 31/9. Scoring 52, 453 yards and 5TDs in a Rose Bowl.

People underestimate just how bad USC has been recently, and especially this year. Coaching included. Darnold held them together and went 20-4 along the way.

24 minutes ago, brownie man said:

You know the problem

people think QBs fail because they throw interceptions 

thats false

QBs fail because because they throw interceptions and can’t throw touchdowns 

that isnt Darnolds problem

plenty of successful QBs have turned the ball over and maintained success 

you just gotta score TDs and win 

Darnold can do that 

Mayfield can do the same agree?

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just do this doesn’t get missed, 7 of his 9 picks were in wins.  He was taking chances, putting points on the board and winning.  This also was in large part to a new (and awful) OL.

That's a very good point. It's why I'm not mad at all or worried about him. He knew he had to lay the points on thick and take chances. He got baited his fair share and forced things, but he still won those games and scored points. And it's not like you can attribute that to being on an USC squad that overwhelmed the opposition. I watched all the games, they didn't often present a physical and talent mismatch. In fact it was most noticeable for the reverse reasons when they got blown out by Notre Dame. Ironically the year before, with good talent around him, he blew out Kizer and ND.

In a way, I'd like to hope that the big deal made of his picks has him laser focused on correcting those issues and refining his game. From the sounds of his combine interview, he knows the importance of it.

A big appeal to Sam Darnold, at least for me, is how his talent can be maximised with top NFL talent. He's not limited in any way on the field. I'd be so jacked to see him throw to Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Duke, Njoku and maybe even Robinson. Throw in Barkley or another top back and the potential is sky high for our offense to be really good, for a really long time.

23 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Give Darnold a 4th round tackle in Banner, and a couple NFL worthy UDFAs in Wheeler and Mama, as well as JuJu to throw to, and he takes a team that got romped 52-6 to winning every game except his debut. In his first season. Throwing 31/9. Scoring 52, 453 yards and 5TDs in a Rose Bowl.

People underestimate just how bad USC has been recently, and especially this year. Coaching included. Darnold held them together and went 20-4 along the way.

Not to mention his oline was about worthless. 

That is all

mc

There are no similarities between Leaf and Darnold coming out. The reasons Leaf failed were solely between the ears. From all accounts, Darnold’s character isn’t in question. It might be for others being considered in this draft at QB. The Leaf/Darnold comparison is dumb and bears no further pondering. 

I will remind folks that Peyton threw something like 26 interceptions as a rookie, QB's through experience, can learn to read defenses a lot better over time, if not they flop, so let's hope whoever we draft, is a keeper, but only something like 20% actually succeed, so hold your breath, it will not be all peaches and cream. Come on Dorsey, bring it home!!!

Something tells me it'll be Rosen or Mayfield before Darnold, fear of the turnover.  Dorsey values accuracy (not saying Darnold isn't, frankly he's my fav prospect of the bunch) and low ints - he went after Smith for KC because he didn't throw picks, I believe that's one of the main reasons why he went after Taylor (meh~) over AJ ... I suspect that rationale will carry over to the draft.  

1 hour ago, StewieRules said:

Something tells me it'll be Rosen or Mayfield before Darnold, fear of the turnover.  Dorsey values accuracy (not saying Darnold isn't, frankly he's my fav prospect of the bunch) and low ints - he went after Smith for KC because he didn't throw picks, I believe that's one of the main reasons why he went after Taylor (meh~) over AJ ... I suspect that rationale will carry over to the draft.  

If Dorsey doesn’t have the ability to look past a stat line and really see why those numbers aren’t all apples to apples comparisons, I’d be very worried about us getting it right.

He’s surely not that simple. I understand it somewhat with Taylor, because he built his conservative stat line in NFL games. But with draft prospects, the reasons are far more varied. That’s why you get guys every year in the draft that suck but have a 50/5 TD/INT. 

Not specifically referring to Mayfield by the way, just making a larger point about college stats being fairly meaningless beyond a certain point.

Archived