Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

So Amazon dissolved Anime-Strike. So now instead of having to pay extra on top of a prime membership in order to access Amazon's anime content, you should now be able to access most of their anime with just a prime membership. This is pretty big because some good shows were locked behind that dumb paywall. I haven't watched it yet but Made in Abyss was previously locked behind the Anime-Strike paywall. From what I've heard, Made in Abyss was the best anime to come out last year and maybe even the past few years. It's supposed to be a very dark adventure despite the "chibi" art style so I'm pretty excited to get around to it. At this time I'm still planning to finish my rewatch of my top 10 anime's but I'm pretty excited to get to it after that.

On that last note, god damn is Evangelion so good. Seriously the best show I've ever watched and I love shows like The Sopranos (Sil was my profile avvy on the old FF for a long time), Breaking Bad, GOT, etc. I seriously think NGE is better than all those. It holds up amazingly no matter how many times I watch it.

Also, don't know where else to put this but I played Doki Doki Literature Club on Steam.  People were talking a lot about it on Reddit so I figured I'd give it a try since it was free. Holy **** it is an amazing horror game. It actually managed to be deeply disturbing while making me question all my choices. It was good enough that I spent $10 on the soundtrack DLC right after finishing playing it because the developer 100% deserved money for making such a great game with fantastic game mechanics despite it being all reading and clicking. And it only took 5 hours to finish too. If you're like me and interested in shows, books, and games where things aren't as they seem this game is certainly worth your time. 

EDIT: I also heard Devilman: Crybaby that Netflix just dropped is really good. I'm pretty excited about the fact that Netflix might actually put out some decent anime. Consider me hyped for this one too.

Edited by Geek

So I started watching Devilman: Crybaby on Netflix. Only a few episodes in and I can already tell this is one of the best animes I've ever seen. It's absolutely visceral. A fantastic soundtrack, plot, action, characters. No ****s were given any with form of censorship.  Not for the faint of heart. This really looks like it could be a 10/10 absolutely a must-see for anyone with Netflix. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

Netflix, please keep funding more anime like this. It's absolutely sick (in more ways than 1) 

Edited by Geek
  • Like 2

I just finished Fate/Zero. That was a very good exploration and commentary on humanity and the human condition. I want to start Fate/stay night UBW, but Crunchyroll does not have a dubbed version. The subtitles bother me. I'll have to find another site.

Edited by freak_of_nature
Cruchyroll doesn't even have FSNUBW, only FSN.

19 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I just finished Fate/Zero. That was a very good exploration and commentary on humanity and the human condition. I want to start Fate/stay night UBW, but Crunchyroll does not have a dubbed version. The subtitles bother me. I'll have to find another site.

Netflix does IIRC. I usually watch subs but I've heard there's a big drop off in the voice acting quality in english from Zero to UBW.

9 minutes ago, Geek said:

Netflix does IIRC. I usually watch subs but I've heard there's a big drop off in the voice acting quality in english from Zero to UBW.

I've studied Japanese for maybe 5 years of my life, and it's distracting when the the subtitles don't match with what was said. I just prefer the pure dub.

I still don't have Netflix. I'll probably get it sometime this year.

Amazon has FSNUBW. I just stopped Prime, but I guess I'll go back.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 9:34 PM, Geek said:

So I started watching Devilman: Crybaby on Netflix. Only a few episodes in and I can already tell this is one of the best animes I've ever seen. It's absolutely visceral. A fantastic soundtrack, plot, action, characters. No ****s were given any with form of censorship.  Not for the faint of heart. This really looks like it could be a 10/10 absolutely a must-see for anyone with Netflix. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

Netflix, please keep funding more anime like this. It's absolutely sick (in more ways than 1) 

yeah devilman crybaby is a pretty intense show but it's good.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 12:34 AM, Geek said:

Is it good? it looks like a hard to follow mess from what I've seen

I'll have to check it out tho, since everyone keeps raving about it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Koolkai123 said:

Is it good? it looks like a hard to follow mess from what I've seen

I'll have to check it out tho, since everyone keeps raving about it

It's not super hard to follow, you'll get it all by the final episode. 

It's one of the best anime I've seen in a while but depending on your feelings of gore this may not be your particular cup of tea filled with blood.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

It's not super hard to follow, you'll get it all by the final episode. 

It's one of the best anime I've seen in a while but depending on your feelings of gore this may not be your particular cup of tea filled with blood.

I mean I've only seen them run and the scene where he uh... you know where he... 

you know

• Like 1

Saw Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters last night on Netflix. It's interesting. Not a huge fan of this new style of animation, but it's definitely different. The story is a bit rushed, but it was a nice watch, given that it's supposedly part of a trilogy series. It's only about an hour and a half long, I'd say give it a watch for anyone who has Netflix.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:41 AM, The Gnat said:

Started watching FMA:Brotherhood with my wife and some friends. The friends had decided to do a marathon of watching it. Started at 1 PM and finished at 8:30 PM after watching 21 episodes. I liked it a lot thus far, though that was a long long time to watch.

Brotherhood is the better of the two imo, largely cuz i stays true to the manga from beginning to end. Plus i like the animation style and quality more.

But im a huge FMA fan in general so i enjoy both. The original anime was actually made before the manga itself was even completely finished, thus why it ended up being so far away from the manga's story in the end.

But both are top anime series picks for me.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 12:34 AM, Geek said:

Saw this over the weekend, and it's definitely everything you said and then some. I don't know if I would personally rate it a 10/10, but it was definitely good for a compact 10 part series. However, it definitely felt like some of the plot started to get rushed at the end, same with some of the character motivations, as they wanted to make sure everything was wrapped up in the short amount of time they had. Think they could have expanded this out to a full length 50 part series and it would have done wonders for the relative flaws I found in the anime. Still, it's really encouraging to see Netflix venturing into this realm of anime. Hopefully they continue to push the boundaries with more original content along these lines.

• Like 1