Rams trade LB Alec Ogletree to Giants

AFlaccoSeagulls

21 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Ogletree doesn't fit Wade Phillips' defense? Also, why would y'all extend him in October just to trade him now?

He's not an ideal fit... and certainly not at the tune of $10m per season.  Most of us in Ramville weren't all too keen on the extension once we saw the numbers.  To my knowledge, teams with Wade as the DC over the past 15 years have only had early picks playing ILB when they were inherited or (like Randall Godfrey) signed as veteran players while on their 2nd or 3rd team.  Most of Wade's ILB's have been 4th rounders and later because he focuses more on instincts and gap-shedding ability than on size/speed/athleticism at the position.

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Any Rams fans want to tell me how he is as a player? I know very little about him. 

Very good WILL, but in Wades defense he was moved inside and really struggled. He’s too small for that role. He’s got a lot of talent just wasn’t a scheme fit.

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting. I guess this would mean that they have chosen Barron over Ogletree? 

If they could trade both, I'm sure they would. Neither one was a good fit for the 3-4 and they got gashed last year against runs up the middle at the 2nd level...

Great pick-up for the G-Men. Ogletree is a beast as an OLD in a 4-3...

3 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Very good WILL, but in Wades defense he was moved inside and really struggled. He’s too small for that role. He’s got a lot of talent just wasn’t a scheme fit.

Pretty much.  Though I wouldn't say he was "too small" so much as he played "too small" for the role that Wade wanted him playing.  He's no thumper, he's an off-ball guy.

18 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If they could trade both, I'm sure they would. Neither one was a good fit for the 3-4 and they got gashed last year against runs up the middle at the 2nd level...

Great pick-up for the G-Men. Ogletree is a beast as an OLD in a 4-3...

This is interesting, considering he excelled as a 3-4 ILB in college at Georgia. But I'm glad to have him! Everyone knows that Giants could use good LBs. Especially in Bettchers defense. 

How is 'Tree as a Blitzer? I know Bettcher loves to blitz his backers.

2 minutes ago, bzane said:

@jrry32- Jrry! As a straight shooter and leading guru of Rams' Football, what can you tell us linebacker-bereft Giants' fans about Ogletree?

He's a good player with flaws. Leader who can call the defense. Very good athlete with man and zone cover skills. Solid Blitzer. Struggles to defeat blocks in the run game, and misses too many tackles.

Archived