Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

13 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Do you think Kizer is better than Hundley? If so, how much better?

From what I have seen so far, it is a lateral move.  Now the team has to find at least 2 starting corners in the draft, FA, or internal player progression.

I'd agree with you.  Right now, they are about the same.  

The difference for me is that Hundley has had 3 years to learn the system from one of the best QBs in NFL history, and coaches who are purported to be excellent at QB development.  In comparison, Kizer played for a team in chaos that had significantly fewer weapons, lacked a veteran mentor QB, and was coached by a guy who appears to be in waaaaay over his head.

What that leads me to believe is that Hundley has proven that he is unlikely to get much better, and that Kizer has as much ability, but a lot more potential.

1 minute ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have seen this too.  I just saw the exit interviews being referenced earlier last night and it was news to me.  

I read about it associated not with 2017 - but 2016 from Silverstein or one of the other beat reporters. The players were commenting under their breaths with DRs apparent disinterest,  lack of conviction or slowness to get into position and set - but like everything 2016 - it got lost in the "is it because he's playing hurt" fog. From the outside looking in nobody could get a clear read on his 2016 output because his injury status was unclear. He was playing....but how hurt in relation to how badly he's playing.  

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

Randall has 1 year left on his contract and his cap hit would've costed us $2 million.

Why not try to get Amukamara for 1 year? Last year he signed a 1 year $7m contract. There was nothing in his play to suggest he could land a big long term contract or even another large 1 year contract again. He should be much cheaper to get this time round.

Last year we got House on a 1 year cap hit of $2.5m. I wonder if we can get Amukamara on a similar deal?

I like the idea of pursuing Amukamara.  I'm not sure why he's bounced around the league, but unless there are some red flags that I'm unaware of, I'd definitely be pursuing him.  He's not a shutdown guy, but he's a solid vet who could start and mentor the young DBs.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Also, everybody saying, "We're still going to make moves at the position this year, so why freak out?"

What cornerback do you think you are going to get that is as good as Randall and as cheap as Randall?  That player isn't out there. 

Oh knock it off already. If they signed 2 well regarded CBs, added one early in the draft, and then traded Randall, no one would be whining about this. The order of moves doesn't effing matter. And they damn well can improve on Randall. A player who doesn't have to give away 10 yards at the line of scrimmage will be a huge help. The guy is an absolute bum but hey he lead our team in INTS!!!

7 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have seen this too.  I just saw the exit interviews being referenced earlier last night and it was news to me.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43983/brett-hundley-has-competition-packers-cornerback-room-has-holes-after-trade

Read this article. Towards the bottom Demovsky references the committee of veterans advising Randall be released because he was souring the locker room. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I read about it associated not with 2017 - but 2016 from Silverstein or one of the other beat reporters. The players were commenting under their breaths with DRs apparent disinterest,  lack of conviction or slowness to get into position and set - but like everything 2016 - it got lost in the "is it because he's playing hurt" fog. From the outside looking in nobody could get a clear read on his 2016 output because his injury status was unclear. He was playing....but how hurt in relation to how badly he's playing.  

Then that is the second time that at least some players thought he was milking an injury.  Something to keep an eye on if we care to follow the Browns at all.

12 minutes ago, northernpackfan said:

I'd agree with you.  Right now, they are about the same.  

The difference for me is that Hundley has had 3 years to learn the system from one of the best QBs in NFL history, and coaches who are purported to be excellent at QB development.  In comparison, Kizer played for a team in chaos that had significantly fewer weapons, lacked a veteran mentor QB, and was coached by a guy who appears to be in waaaaay over his head.

What that leads me to believe is that Hundley has proven that he is unlikely to get much better, and that Kizer has as much ability, but a lot more potential.

I am beginning to think McCarthy the QB guru label perhaps isn't true at all.

Listen - I've nothing against DR. I just dont see him as being "all that" - which in a way I put on TT.

We went into that draft needing top CB talent. We sat at the back of the draft rotation - all fat and happy to let the draft drop to the bottom of the sea and learn what was left - and pick a semi-recent convert from basketball to ASU (?) Safety position. Why? Apparently (as best I could tell......) because of his ball hawking skills.

Which he had and evidenced. It really was the only part of his game that was positive IMO. BUT - I contend we needed to bypass the "lets convert this guy into a CB" angle and go after and draft a pure, accomplished CB. A bird in hand type guy.

We're a team thats played in a whole bunch of NFCCG's. We're always there - on the cusp - so we dont need to be (or shouldnt IMO) dicking around with "converts" or "projects". We should be acquiring proven talent - playmakers - coaching them up (as necessary) and getting them on the field.

Maybe CLE intends to move him to Safety - thats a possibility - and from our experience would make sense. His coverage skills - and ATTITUDE - from the outside arent that great. Maybe they intend to use as a roaming Free Safety. Let him use his ballhawking skills to the greatest effect. Could be. Dont know. 

1 minute ago, jontat83 said:

I am beginning to think McCarthy the QB guru label perhaps isn't true at all.

I asked this before...

If McCarthy is only good with generational talents like Rodgers and Favre, how good was Matt Flynn? All the other QBs haven't panned out well.  Flynn was pretty good, IMO limited by his below average NFL arm.  Was Flynn just a guy that fell through the cracks in the draft process?

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Oh knock it off already.

I don't like you.  I don't like anyone who uses a person's username to determine how much their opinion means.  That's a BS move, and you know it.  So frankly, you telling me to knock it off makes me want to act even worse. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

You just need to not overreact to one move and see how this plays out. If at the end of free agency, then be mad. But don't be mad at everyone else in here for respecting the process and being willing to wait and see what other moves our BRAND NEW GM is going to make. Take a comprehensive approach. 

Seriously, people need to calm it with telling me to calm it.  99% of me yelling at people is in jest.  99% of what I say is hyperbole.  I believe in what I'm saying, but if you couldn't find the humor in a three paragraph boat analogy, that's more a reflection of you than it is me. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

It's actually the exact opposite. QB is the biggest hole of them all, right at the bottom. Once that one opens up, then all the other ones are exposed, and quick. If you are able to improve your backup QB, ie make the QB hole smaller, then the other holes aren't exposed as much.

This makes zero sense whatsoever.  If we need a backup QB, our season is sank.  Period.  We're not the Eagles. 

Archived