Texans watch: 2017

BwickRedux

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Me either.

First we can Sashi for a guy who can "spot talent" and then that guy spends a top 10 pick on a RB.  

I'll puke.

Meh.

Ive seen what Todd Gurley and Zeke have done. Runningbacks touch the ball more than wide receivers and I haven’t seen anybody object to taking a wide receiver that high.

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Meh.

Ive seen what Todd Gurley and Zeke have done. Runningbacks touch the ball more than wide receivers and I haven’t seen anybody object to taking a wide receiver that high.

I just find it unnecessary to take a guy who plays a position where excellent starters are routinely found in mid/later rounds in the top 10.

For every Zeke and Gurley there's a Bell or David Johnson.

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just find it unnecessary to take a guy who plays a position where excellent starters are routinely found in mid/later rounds in the top 10.

For every Zeke and Gurley there's a Bell or David Johnson.

LeSean Mccoy

Jamaal Charles

Jordan Howard

Devonta Freeman

Alvin Kamara

DeMarco Murray

Jay Ajayi 

Alex Collins

Frank Gore

Kareem Hunt

Carlos Hyde

No first round picks and mostly mid-round guys just off the top of my head that have either had cracking careers or are currently topping the charts this season in rush average. I'm right with you. It makes little to no sense to burn such a premium pick on a player who will likely be a statistical push with many of those guys or a small upgrade at best. Going even further, I'm not even sold on Saquon as the next incredible back in the league. He'll probably be a very nice RB. Still not worth it IMO.

Anyone else waiting for us to have a clear/legitimate shot at our QB#1, only to make some "blockbuster trade" with the NY Giants, and go the "wash, rinse, repeat" route of chickening out AND being greedy.

"Hey look! We got _________, who was our guy at QB all along and the #1 rated guy on our board, plus all of these other shiny new toys!"

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Anyone else waiting for us to have a clear/legitimate shot at our QB#1, only to make some "blockbuster trade" with the NY Giants, and go the "wash, rinse, repeat" route of chickening out AND being greedy.

"Hey look! We got _________, who was our guy at QB all along and the #1 rated guy on our board, plus all of these other shiny new toys!"

I'm painfully counting down the days until January 15th, each one expecting to visit nfl.com in the morning and see the headline of "Darnold returning to USC".

That will hurt me, I'm sure.

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES that’s fine, I just see Saquon as Barry Sanders 2.0 and I will continue to say it.

I’d also like Minkah Fitzpatrick. However, I’m aleady preparing myself for people wanting to draft “safe” and take another offensive linemen because they’re too chicken **** to draft anything else.

Lol in prefer the safer option still (trade down).

I like Minkah a lot too, but I'm not sure I want to take a FS in the top 5-10 if we plan on playing them in the way we have Peppers this year.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No, I think we take a qb at one without question.

This is obviously what Haslam has wanted for the last couple years.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I'm painfully counting down the days until January 15th, each one expecting to visit nfl.com in the morning and see the headline of "Darnold returning to USC".

That will hurt me, I'm sure.

Followed shortly by..."Josh Rosen busted snorting coke with Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Josh Allen."

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, I think we take a qb at one without question.

This is obviously what Haslam has wanted for the last couple years.

Oh, ok...better scenario then:

*The #1 rated QB is on the board, and the Browns draft THEIR GUY at #1...he just happens to NOT be the consensus #1 guy. Clearly their scouting department and GM know something that everyone else doesn't. I haven't seen that storyline before either. 

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol in prefer the safer option still (trade down).

I like Minkah a lot too, but I'm not sure I want to take a FS in the top 5-10 if we plan on playing them in the way we have Peppers this year.

Seriously I don''t want to fight with you but you have got to be kidding me. We are looking at 2 picks well within the Top 10 and you don't want Saquan Barkley or Minkah Fitzpatrick? Putting QBs aside they are the only blue chip type talents I have watching this year who are currently ranked in the Top 10-20 picks. I don't see a WR who excites anyone. There is no Kellen Winslow type TE, everyone experts included agree the OT class is very week. The DT class is said to be deep but I don't see anyone like Suh, Ngata, Stroud, Seymour. I don't see a LB that excites anyone. Who is the best CB? McFadden? Minkah would be a better CB than him. Derwin James we draft him? Replace Peppers already. Bradley Chubb is overrated because this draft is very weak at the top. In many ways Ogbah will be a better DE than Chubb anyway. He would be a 6-12 rated prospect in most drafts. If he really were a Clowney/Garrett type then I wouldn't be against it and then we would have to try and trade Ogbah for the best we can get because he will never be a situational pass rusher and I'm not drafting a guy Top 10 just to come off the bench on 3rd and long.

4 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Seriously I don''t want to fight with you but you have got to be kidding me. We are looking at 2 picks well within the Top 10 and you don't want Saquan Barkley or Minkah Fitzpatrick? Putting QBs aside they are the only blue chip type talents I have watching this year who are currently ranked in the Top 10-20 picks. I don't see a WR who excites anyone. There is no Kellen Winslow type TE, everyone experts included agree the OT class is very week. The DT class is said to be deep but I don't see anyone like Suh, Ngata, Stroud, Seymour. I don't see a LB that excites anyone. Who is the best CB? McFadden? Minkah would be a better CB than him. Derwin James we draft him? Replace Peppers already. Bradley Chubb is overrated because this draft is very weak at the top. In many ways Ogbah will be a better DE than Chubb anyway. He would be a 6-12 rated prospect in most drafts. If he really were a Clowney/Garrett type then I wouldn't be against it and then we would have to try and trade Ogbah for the best we can get because he will never be a situational pass rusher and I'm not drafting a guy Top 10 just to come off the bench on 3rd and long.

Honestly from what I've seen thus far I'm not loving this year's top 10.  I liked guys taken in the teens and twenties last year as much as some guys being talked about as top 5-10 guys this year.

I think Barkley is a good RB prospect, I don't mind the player all all, but I don't like the idea of a RB, any RB, in the first, let alone top 10.

Minkah is great, maybe my favorite prospect regardless of position, but if Wiliams is going to continue to play this scheme, I'm not wasting a top 5 pick on a guy who spends all game in another zip code.  If Williams wants to wise up and play a more traditional coverage scheme, Minkah at FS would be great.

Again, this is a player issue, it's a philosophy issue.  I've always been on board with moneyball, even before moneyball.  I loved the trade downs with Mack, Julio, Gilbert, etc., I just wish there had drafted better after the trade downs. In every one of those circumstances good players were available, we just whiffed. 

Archived