Texans watch: 2017

BwickRedux

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'm with you skill positions in round two.

I like Guice, the kid from USC, Love, Penny, there's a number who look good.

WR talent looks to be a bunch of "solid contributors" or number 2's, no studs that I've seen.  With a healthy Coleman and Gordon a "solid contributor" would be great, especially if they sign someone too.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The way I see it/what I'm hoping for is:

1. Darnold

4-8. Minkah Fitz

33. Washington

38. Guice/Love/Chubb

Offense:

QB: Veteran/Darnold/Kizer

RB: Duke/Guice/Love/Chubb

WR: Gordon

WR: Coleman

WR: Washington

TE: Njoku

There's a lot of promise/lot to like in those skill positional groups.

I LOVE the idea of Minkah at 4-8 but something tells me he may not be there when we want to pick him.

Right now I take Darnold or Rosen 1 without question.

with our next pick I'm looking at Barkley, Minkah, and Chubb, probably in that order...

If none of those 3 players are there I look to trade down to be completely honest, and try to get a WR like Ridley or Sutton later in the first.

Otherwise I look at best CB (for a #1) or best OT (to eventually replace Joe) available?

I don't think Derwin James is a good FS and we already have someone like him in Peppers (maybe not as good but just spent a first on him).  otherwise I would absolutely look at him.

Thoughts?

58 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

You could definitely do worse than picking a very good RB. We know more than most how easy it can be to draft a bust.

But still I think RB is the easiest position to find good production anywhere. Premium corners tend to be harder to find.

Darnold and Fitzpatrick I think would be my first choice pairing.

I don’t know over the past few years we have seen a premium placed on some legit talented RBs tho. If the player has elite level talent they are worthy. We have seen the impact Gurley, Zeke, and Fournette have had on their offenses/ teams. Jags, Rams, and Cowboys all have top10 offenses. Dallas would be even better if Zeke was able to play and we saw the impact he has last year. 

I could see if Barkley had questionable talent but he has been projected as a top back and top player since he was a true freshmen in college. 

Barkley is the only RB I would touch in the first two rounds. To me after Barkley the RBs aren’t special at all. With the picks the browns are projected to have right now. They could find studs at safety or corner with their 2nd picks. I don’t know if they could find a stud RB like that. 

Having two backs that could catch like Barkley and Johnson would be huge scheme was but who am I kidding, hue wouldnt know how to use them together. Barely knows how to use his talent he has now. The way he tried to get CC, JG, Njoku the ball in the 2nd half was a freaking joke.

Yeah 

I still think Barkley is a better player than Minkah

but Minkah can add more value long term 

I'd love both

good FS prospects later as well Armani Watts, Deshone Elliot are some that come to mind

if Minkah isnt there I'm taking Barkley

If Barkley isn't there I'm taking Minkah

If both are there Barkley

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I still think Barkley is a better player than Minkah

I guess I look at it more like value. Minkah is head and shoulder better than any other DB in this class and certainly Free Safety. Barkley MAY be the best player in this draft, but I still think Guice, Chubb, and Love all have MASSIVE potential and can be had much later. Will I be upset with a Darnold/Barkley combination? Absolutely not, as we could do a LOT worse, and have done much worse. Would I rather have Darnold, Minkah, and Chubb/Washington? ABSOLUTELY

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

but Minkah can add more value long term 

I'd love both

good FS prospects later as well Armani Watts, Deshone Elliot are some that come to mind

if Minkah isnt there I'm taking Barkley

If Barkley isn't there I'm taking Minkah

If both are there Barkley

Seems like you're with us to a degree.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:59 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

LeSean Mccoy

Jamaal Charles

Jordan Howard

Devonta Freeman

Alvin Kamara

DeMarco Murray

Jay Ajayi 

Alex Collins

Frank Gore

Kareem Hunt

Carlos Hyde

No first round picks and mostly mid-round guys just off the top of my head that have either had cracking careers or are currently topping the charts this season in rush average. I'm right with you. It makes little to no sense to burn such a premium pick on a player who will likely be a statistical push with many of those guys or a small upgrade at best. Going even further, I'm not even sold on Saquon as the next incredible back in the league. He'll probably be a very nice RB. Still not worth it IMO.

Rashaad Penny will be drafted between picks 25-40 and Im confident will end up as part of the conversation of who was the best RB in this draft. I gotta gut feeling he ends up in SanFran. This draft has good backs. Drafting Saquan top 10 for us is like buying a Lambo and parking it next to the refrigerator-box you live in. And I dont care how hard you try, ya cant buy premium unleaded with food-stamps.

4 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

This draft has good backs. Drafting Saquan top 10 for us is like buying a Lambo and parking it next to the refrigerator-box you live in.

It also is compromising the rebuild by not shoring up the DB, especially since Minkah likely will be available, or trading down and getting a boatload of draft picks for this and next year.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:59 AM, big poppa pump said:

I'm not sure I see Guice making it to round 2.  I think he is easily the second best RB prospect, and more than likely is gone in Rd. 1.  I would be pumped to get Darnold, Fitzpatrick, AND Guice.  I just don't see us getting that lucky.

I actually think the opposite. I think Guice loses steam by the draft, especially with the depth of RBs, and the quality of some others. I think he goes between 35-45. But to be fair to you, I do understand why you feel this way. Im feeling the concept of going QB, then CB, then RB. 

11 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

I actually think the opposite. I think Guice loses steam by the draft, especially with the depth of RBs, and the quality of some others. I think he goes between 35-45. But to be fair to you, I do understand why you feel this way. Im feeling the concept of going QB, then CB, then RB. 

Ohmmmm?

On 12/11/2017 at 9:24 AM, Dogbite said:

Seriously I don''t want to fight with you but you have got to be kidding me. We are looking at 2 picks well within the Top 10 and you don't want Saquan Barkley or Minkah Fitzpatrick? Putting QBs aside they are the only blue chip type talents I have watching this year who are currently ranked in the Top 10-20 picks. I don't see a WR who excites anyone. There is no Kellen Winslow type TE, everyone experts included agree the OT class is very week. The DT class is said to be deep but I don't see anyone like Suh, Ngata, Stroud, Seymour. I don't see a LB that excites anyone. Who is the best CB? McFadden? Minkah would be a better CB than him. Derwin James we draft him? Replace Peppers already. Bradley Chubb is overrated because this draft is very weak at the top. In many ways Ogbah will be a better DE than Chubb anyway. He would be a 6-12 rated prospect in most drafts. If he really were a Clowney/Garrett type then I wouldn't be against it and then we would have to try and trade Ogbah for the best we can get because he will never be a situational pass rusher and I'm not drafting a guy Top 10 just to come off the bench on 3rd and long.

Where to start... First, Im philosophically opposed to drafting RBs and TEs in the top 15, but thats just me. The D-tackles, in my opinion, are better than you think. Vita Vea is pretty near Ngata, Maurice Hurst is a cross between Suh and Donald(although not quite as good as either), DaRon Payne is right there with Casey Hampton, and there is depth to the position behind them. Although, only Hurst seems sure to be a strong interior pass-rusher. The rest are great run stoppers. DE is a weaker position. I disagree about Ogbah. In combine numbers, Chubb probably wont come close to Ogbahs athleticism, but Chubb is a way more fluid, natural pass-rusher. Ogbah will struggle to match Chubbs production. The OT class seems to be underrated. Raqoun Smith will begin to be comped to Ray Lewis by draft time. Very good LB who does not miss tackles. Minkahs competition for best PURE corner will come from Joshua Jackson.

Archived