The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

Random thought but what happened to Jaylen Ballard? He was the 4th ranked WR in the country in the same class that Egbuka was in 2021 but he has literally never seen the field outside of punt return duties. 

I remember during Strouds pro day, they purposefully put him out there as a WR for him to throw to a ton and reports were a lot of scouts were ogling over him and asking coaches about him. Figured that OSU was showcasing him for this upcoming season.

However, he hasnt played at all really. Still behind Flemming and even Tate is getting run as a freshman over Ballard.

What happened and I am shocked he has not transferred. Is there a plan with him that I dont know about?

Edited by AkronsWitness

He probably won’t see much of a role next season either if he’s still here. Even if we lose all three of our starting receivers plus Xavier Johnson. Young guys have already passed him, are going to continue to develop, and there is a new crop of guys coming in next season. From everything I have understood he has burner speed could be a deep threat guy but doesn’t add much else as far as being a polished receiver. You pretty much have to be a complete stud to have a role as a receiver here. He came into a class with a Emeka Egbuka and Marvin Harrison. Those two and Fleming have been 1-3 the past two years. Then you had Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson the year before. If you aren’t a first round caliber receiver, you probably aren’t going to start at Ohio State.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

He probably won’t see much of a role next season either if he’s still here. Even if we lose all three of our starting receivers plus Xavier Johnson. Young guys have already passed him, are going to continue to develop, and there is a new crop of guys coming in next season. From everything I have understood he has burner speed could be a deep threat guy but doesn’t add much else as far as being a polished receiver. You pretty much have to be a complete stud to have a role as a receiver here. He came into a class with a Emeka Egbuka and Marvin Harrison. Those two and Fleming have been 1-3 the past two years. Then you had Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson the year before. If you aren’t a first round caliber receiver, you probably aren’t going to start at Ohio State.

I guess yeah but I have been completely disappointed in Fleming. He was the #1 WR from his entire class and he has largely been a let down. Can't believe Ballard couldn't steal some snaps from him this year just because outside of Marv they don't really have a burner. Guess they all can't be amazing

it could also be surrounding McCord with as much veteran talent as possible which is why Fleming has held down that 3rd spot over him

Edited by AkronsWitness

12 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

We didn't fully appreciate this dude and I know absolutely no one here took him for granted. Gonna really miss him. Hope we can end the year strong for him and the rest

The GOAT Buckeye WR

He needs 4 more TDs for most TDs in a single season. 6 more for most in a Buckeye career.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

The GOAT Buckeye WR

He needs 4 more TDs for most TDs in a single season. 6 more for most in a Buckeye career.

We just witnessed one of those things that will be talked about as long as this program lives. He's as great of a player that you could ask for and an even better human being. There will never be another 18. Really, really hope we can send him off the right way