The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

8 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I think they're going to be as prepared as they can be. From what I've read on TCU, they bring a very unique and varying defensive scheme, the likes of which Haskins has not faced. This is going to be a huge game for Dwayne. If he balls out, he's gotta be a serious contender in the Heisman conversation. I am still not convinced he's what some think he is. I want to believe it, but I need to see it against a top tier team like TCU. And I'm looking for consistency. He made a couple of remarkable throws last year against Michigan, but Cardale made a few great ones in our time of need, and then practically crapped the bed the following season. Can Haskins thread the needle through tight windows? We'll see, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Defensively for OSU, they'll be going up against a dual threat who has an uncanny ability to extend plays. DB's are going to have to stay with their guys for extensive periods, while Bosa and Young are wrecking TCU's OT's. Again, I feel good about OSU's matchup here as well, but these kind of games can be tricky to make an accurate prediction, so I will continue to hope for the best but be ready for the worst.

I wish I paid more attention scheme-wise when watching them against SMU last Friday. I can definitely tell you they didn't leave me feeling concerned at all. SMU was having a fairly easy time getting pressure on occasion and if they were getting pressure, a line full of future first round picks is going to destroy them. One thing I've gained concern on is Chase's ability to keep calm. I'm wondering if he lacks discipline and he could be easily manipulated by misdirection. Luckily he isn't forced to sit out a half b/c of his two penalties last game so that is good.

I get your hesitation on Haskins and I'm there as well albeit further towards "proven" than you are. I know he played cupcake defenses the last two games but I looked for different things. While the WRs were open, did he hit them in stride? Yes. Did he throw accurate balls? Yes. That speaks a lot to me seeing how even if they were well defended, it'll be harder to defend accurate passes than those to WRs who were wide open although the ball was thrown inaccurately. The scheme thing does concern me but I think the kid will be alright. We've certainly got the coaching staff to prepare him.

As long as our defensive line plays like they should, I honestly feel we'll neutralize the threat. Their QB didn't look like much of a passer to me and more of an athlete. I hope we can key in on that one.

10 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I think they're going to be as prepared as they can be. From what I've read on TCU, they bring a very unique and varying defensive scheme, the likes of which Haskins has not faced. This is going to be a huge game for Dwayne. If he balls out, he's gotta be a serious contender in the Heisman conversation. I am still not convinced he's what some think he is. I want to believe it, but I need to see it against a top tier team like TCU. And I'm looking for consistency. He made a couple of remarkable throws last year against Michigan, but Cardale made a few great ones in our time of need, and then practically crapped the bed the following season. Can Haskins thread the needle through tight windows? We'll see, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Defensively for OSU, they'll be going up against a dual threat who has an uncanny ability to extend plays. DB's are going to have to stay with their guys for extensive periods, while Bosa and Young are wrecking TCU's OT's. Again, I feel good about OSU's matchup here as well, but these kind of games can be tricky to make an accurate prediction, so I will continue to hope for the best but be ready for the worst.

To counter the Cardale Jones comment. Jones balled out under Herman and so did JTB. Beck comes to town and ruins pretty much both of them. At least with Haskins he is under year two of Wilson and Day. So that gives me more confidence. TCU runs a unique scheme but hopefully tOSU can dictate that with there offense and force TCU to honor their skill players. At least with TCU you can go back to old film to find out what they like to do. With this new tOSU offense, it’s not like years past, so they only have 2 games to work off of and they have to spend some time preparing for Martell and his dual threat abilities as well.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

To counter the Cardale Jones comment. Jones balled out under Herman and so did JTB. Beck comes to town and ruins pretty much both of them. At least with Haskins he is under year two of Wilson and Day. So that gives me more confidence. TCU runs a unique scheme but hopefully tOSU can dictate that with there offense and force TCU to honor their skill players. At least with TCU you can go back to old film to find out what they like to do. With this new tOSU offense, it’s not like years past, so they only have 2 games to work off of and they have to spend some time preparing for Martell and his dual threat abilities as well.

I don't want to get into an entire debate over Jones and Barrett, but cmon, it should be clear that they don't have the talent of Haskins from a pure passing standpoint. Yes, Cardale was AKA 12-Guage, but the accuracy and other tools were lacking. Same could be said of Barrett. I think they balled out because they had Devin Smith to bail them out of 50-50 or questionable throws. Sure, Herman made them look better, but neither of them have NFL-caliber skillsets, whereas the promise for Haskins is clearly there IF he continues to play like he has against tougher competition and proves that he can do this week-in week-out.

8 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I don't want to get into an entire debate over Jones and Barrett, but cmon, it should be clear that they don't have the talent of Haskins from a pure passing standpoint. Yes, Cardale was AKA 12-Guage, but the accuracy and other tools were lacking. Same could be said of Barrett. I think they balled out because they had Devin Smith to bail them out of 50-50 or questionable throws. Sure, Herman made them look better, but neither of them have NFL-caliber skillsets, whereas the promise for Haskins is clearly there IF he continues to play like he has against tougher competition and proves that he can do this week-in week-out.

I brought it up becuase you brought it up. Yeah I know the skill set is different. Just saying under Herman and Beck, those coaches used the skill set a lot differently. Heck Beck has freaking Jones running speed options Vs. VT. I’m just saying with Haskins, he has a great skill set but also has coaches properly utilizing it. I still think Jones and JTBs career turns out differently if Herman was the OC/ QB coach for the rest of their careers.  

Again back to a point. I think tOSU can throw some major curve balls at TCU becuase tOSU hasn’t put anything special on tape except their special talents they have all over the field. Only 2 games worth of tape on Haskins and this new found passing attack. Gonna leave TCU guessing. I’m predicting tOSU to get out to a quick 2 score lead because TCU will need to adjust and it allows the Bosa, Young, and Jones to tee off on the pass protection. 

Edited by buno67

Jones mainly threw jump balls and let our guys come down w/ them. He great or special by any means. I'm extremely happy for what he did for us and as someone has stated here prior "he drinks for free everywhere in Columbus for the rest of his life" (or something like that), don't get me wrong but let's not pretend he's something other than he was.

Edited by JTagg7754

20 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Jones mainly threw jump balls and let our guys come down w/ them. He great or special by any means. I'm extremely happy for what he did for us and as someone has stated here prior "he drinks for free everywhere in Columbus for the rest of his life" (or something like that), don't get me wrong but let's not pretend he's something other than he was.

I’m not pretending that Jones was some elite QB but I just stick to the arguement that Beck was utter garbage and he brought Jones and JTB down to his level. Jones lived off the 50/50 ball but when you have amazing WRs, you should do that. That ‘15 season we rarely saw him throw those kinds of passes even tho he had Mike Thomas on the outside. 

Just saying the last time we had a QB and an OC on the same page, that QB was a top5 heisman finisher. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I’m not pretending that Jones was some elite QB but I just stick to the arguement that Beck was utter garbage and he brought Jones and JTB down to his level. Jones lived off the 50/50 ball but when you have amazing WRs, you should do that. That ‘15 season we rarely saw him throw those kinds of passes even tho he had Mike Thomas on the outside. 

Just saying the last time we had a QB and an OC on the same page, that QB was a top5 heisman finisher. 

You're missing the point though. The fact that he succeeded more under a certain OC or with a certain receiver is irrelevant to the whole argument. He was inconsistent, and lacked an NFL-Caliber skillset, Period.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

You're missing the point though. The fact that he succeeded more under a certain OC or with a certain receiver is irrelevant to the whole argument. He was inconsistent, and lacked an NFL-Caliber skillset, Period.

I think your missing my point as well lol. You said your being cautiously optimistic. You used Jones as an example. That he had great success because of a coach. Just tried to add to your optimism by saying Day/Wilson is a great tandem. I think everything is in place for Haskin like for JTB/Jones in ‘14. That potentially it might be a better situation offensively for Haskins than it was for the QBs in ‘14

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson.

I'm sure Oregon State and Rutgers had little wrinkles they threw at us, and it wont be the last, we have the type of offense that you have to pick your poison, you cant sell out for both, our offense is anti-2015-2017. As far as the Cardale comment, we all know he crapped the bed because we lost one of the best OCs who worked wonders with QBs and went to an OC who was in over his head. Sort of similar to how we went from producing stud LBs under Luke Fickell and now our LBs look lost under the direction of Bill Davis.

As far as Haskins, I'm to the point where I feel Haskins is what he is, the results have been pretty much the same whether is was mop up duty or coming into a big game at UM, or the start of this year, all the results have been the same. And I quietly think Haskins can stress the hell out of any defense. My only critique of Haskins is that does things very well on script, I want to see more of what he does off of script, he did well at times in that category against UM last year.

As far as the matchup, TBH,this team looks locked in and focused, the only success TCU would have is what we would give them IMO

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson.

I'm sure Oregon State and Rutgers had little wrinkles they threw at us, and it wont be the last, we have the type of offense that you have to pick your poison, you cant sell out for both, our offense is anti-2015-2017. As far as the Cardale comment, we all know he crapped the bed because we lost one of the best OCs who worked wonders with QBs and went to an OC who was in over his head. Sort of similar to how we went from producing stud LBs under Luke Fickell and now our LBs look lost under the direction of Bill Davis.

As far as Haskins, I'm to the point where I feel Haskins is what he is, the results have been pretty much the same whether is was mop up duty or coming into a big game at UM, or the start of this year, all the results have been the same. And I quietly think Haskins can stress the hell out of any defense. My only critique of Haskins is that does things very well on script, I want to see more of what he does off of script, he did well at times in that category against UM last year.

As far as the matchup, TBH,this team looks locked in and focused, the only success TCU would have is what we would give them IMO

To be fair Fickell was LB coach from 04 to 16 minus one year when he was he interim HC. I would say after laurinaitis to Shazier was in his 2nd year of being a starting LB, tOSU struggled to have a stud LB. Fickell has his issues at times. Hell LB play didn’t truly pick back until Meyer came in and was finally able to recruit the position. I also think some of the issues of LB play also came about when Schiano became the DC. New DC and new LB Coach you’re going to have issues and you lose one of the best LBs in McMillian hurts as well. They need a true Mike backer. Last year they didn’t they converted an OLB into the MLB and Worley never played it that well. He is a better outside guy then inside guy. His back ups were young guys as well.