Forecasting the 2018 Bears Offense

G08

On 3/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, topwop1 said:

I don't think they will target Fitzpatrick for a number of reasons.  One they have both Fuller and Prince coming back, two they like both Amos and Jackson manning the safety positions, and three, Fitz is a tweener without a true position.  Will he play CB will he play S at th enext level?  The talent is there for sure but there are some question marks and bigger needs for this team.

As things stand with the FA signings I think we will see either a OL (if Nelson falls) or a edge rusher (Chubb/Davenport/Edmunds/Landry).

I stirred up some Fitz talk recently just because it’s a conversation that needs to happen, but I think the argument against a “chess piece” guy on defense is that Fangio doesn’t show multiple looks to confuse QBs. He tries to do different things out of pre-snap looks that largely look the same. Fitz may be best deployed in a scheme where he can be moved around.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

I stirred up some Fitz talk recently just because it’s a conversation that needs to happen, but I think the argument against a “chess piece” guy on defense is that Fangio doesn’t show multiple looks to confuse QBs. He tries to do different things out of pre-snap looks that largely look the same. Fitz may be best deployed in a scheme where he can be moved around.

I personally think Minkah would be really good trade bait if he were to be available at 8 unless our intention is for him to be a boundary corner and for Prince to go to the slot (an idea to which I am not opposed). 

6 hours ago, jumbo said:

Fitzpatrick would decome the tarting slot corner and the backup to every other starter in the secondary.  That is a very valuble player

Also if we really want coverage in the nickel we can have Callahan at NB, move Minkah to S with Jackson, and them move Amos up as a cover LB. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I personally think Minkah would be really good trade bait if he were to be available at 8 unless our intention is for him to be a boundary corner and for Prince to go to the slot (an idea to which I am not opposed). 

Hmm. I thought I was the only one here who believed he could be a CB. Do you think it might be better to have Minkah in the slot when there are big slot WRs like Marshall, Meredith, etc or just full time boundary CB?

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Hmm. I thought I was the only one here who believed he could be a CB. Do you think it might be better to have Minkah in the slot when there are big slot WRs like Marshall, Meredith, etc or just full time boundary CB?

I think he has the versatility to be able to play both outside and inside. Frankly combining him with Prince and Kyle gives us three bigger corners all of whom can play all of those positions. I think that has a ton of value especially with the opposing QBs in our division. 

The main reason I think he could be trade bait though is that we are now giving Kyle and Prince a combined $23 million per year for the next two years. I am assuming that there either are or will be extension talks with Amos between now and draft day. I wonder if how those develop will make any difference as to whether Fitzpatrick is in play for us in the draft or not. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/plan-of-attack-a-look-at-bears-coach-matt-nagys-aggressive-offensive-approach/

Nagy’s first conversation with Pace regarding new personnel revolved around adding a tight end who could fill what’s called the “U” position in Nagy’s offense. It’s a receiver/tight end hybrid role that Travis Kelce handles at a Pro Bowl level with the Chiefs.

Enter Trey Burton, who received a four-year, $32 million contract despite limited production with the Eagles. Simply put, Nagy needed him.

“It’s an important role,” Nagy said. “It’s easy to create some plays for. And when you have a guy that has the size that Trey has and the speed that he has, it’s about mismatches.”

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Say what you want, his footwork looks night and day better than I've ever seen of him.

Hopefully soon they can start working him with press coverage. Getting off press and then regaining footwork is a whole different beast from my experience. I really would love to see him stay healthy.

I hate that Nick Foles has more receiving touchdowns than White.

I honesty think they expect more in the building than we do of White...I expect them to simplify his role and try and make him a deep threat...lots of go routes to give him one on one opportunities and the hope that will also open up things for others...I expect us to use our WRs skill sets in different spots more than we ever have.

Bubble and tunnel screens, go routes, comeback routes and slants to keep corners honest.

Pretty simplified but it's where he can do some damage (er, damage TO the opposition).

Archived