Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

35 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Can anyone name a WR from Green Bay that left for a different team during the Rodgers era who has performed as well for that team as they did for the Packers ?  James Jones didn't.  Greg Jennings didn't.  

Jennings still had a little juice but nobody has really left with much in the tank. 

43 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Booked. In their entire careers has Graham ever outproduced Jordy other than the Hundley year?

Did you even watch him last year? He barely went for over 150 yards with Hundley at QB while Adams balled out and Cobb put up respectable numbers given the situation. Jordy was never open. Either he packed it in, or his skills deteriorated. Knowing Nelson, he isn't the type to pack it in. All good things come to an end. 

5 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

We, regular people wasting time on a football forum, are able to tell immediately which years are easy cuts in a contract when details are released. Do you really think players and their agents don't consider this when they sign them?

I love Jordy to death and I'm very sad to let him go but I don't think it's accurate to say we did him dirty.

I never said they did, BTW. I just didn't think it was totally okay to ask for that pay cut. 

5 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Did you even watch him last year? He barely went for over 150 yards with Hundley at QB while Adams balled out and Cobb put up respectable numbers given the situation. Jordy was never open. Either he packed it in, or his skills deteriorated. Knowing Nelson, he isn't the type to pack it in. All good things come to an end. 

That's my take as well.  Our coaches and front office watch that guy on a daily basis .. they must have seen enough signs to know it was time to part company.  That's the way it goes .. good lucky to Jordy.  On the other side of it .. Gute better hope that Jordy doesn't revert back to form and light it up somewhere else.  If he does Gute looks like a fool.  It's a tough call that took some stones .. shows that Gute is willing to make those tough calls.  That should be an encouraging sign.

9 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

He was doing great the first 5 games of the season. The whole team was. Hundley's stint was a throwaway and anyone using that to justify making big sweeping changes is wrong.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

I watched him last year.  He was on pace to shatter the GBP single season TD mark before the AR12 injury.  While his yardage was down (he was on pace for just over 900 yards) he was still very productive.  When AR12 went down he struggled.  Hundley wasn't capable of making the same throws and had putrid accuracy on anything that wasn't a dump off.  If people were honest with themselves they'd admit that Hundley missed Jordy on a substantial number of throws last year where he was open.  Unfortunately, he's not a Packer anymore so people are going to pile on just assuming management made the right decision as they do with damn near every decision they've ever made regardless of the outcome.  Some fans said Casey Hayward was garbage when he left Green Bay and he's been one of the 5 best CBs in the NFL since exiting. 

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Unfortunately, he's not a Packer anymore so people are going to pile on just assuming management made the right decision as they do with damn near every decision they've ever made regardless of the outcome. 

That couldn't be farther from the truth.  There was hardly a move TT made that wasn't questioned.  It is fair to question this move too.  Nobody is piling on Jordy. Anyone who has agreed with the move has said they feel bad about it but it is what it is.  

21 minutes ago, SSG said:

I watched him last year.  He was on pace to shatter the GBP single season TD mark before the AR12 injury.  While his yardage was down (he was on pace for just over 900 yards) he was still very productive.  When AR12 went down he struggled.  Hundley wasn't capable of making the same throws and had putrid accuracy on anything that wasn't a dump off.  If people were honest with themselves they'd admit that Hundley missed Jordy on a substantial number of throws last year where he was open.  Unfortunately, he's not a Packer anymore so people are going to pile on just assuming management made the right decision as they do with damn near every decision they've ever made regardless of the outcome.  Some fans said Casey Hayward was garbage when he left Green Bay and he's been one of the 5 best CBs in the NFL since exiting. 

Some said Lacy would be a steal for the Seahawks and the Packers would regret letting him leave.

See, I can do do that as well. 

28 minutes ago, SSG said:

We have Aaron Rodgers, I'm not worried about who he's going to be throwing balls to with pinpoint accuracy. Jordy might be better than that 2nd or 3rd round rookie we have this year, but in 2019 I bet that guy is easily a better player than Nelson.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We have Aaron Rodgers, I'm not worried about who he's going to be throwing balls to with pinpoint accuracy. Jordy might be better than that 2nd or 3rd round rookie we have this year, but in 2019 I bet that guy is easily a better player than Nelson.

I guess we'll find out.  Had Nelson stayed in Green Bay I'd have taken that bet without hesitation.  We've risked the success of our season into Adams being  a  #1 caliber NFL WR and he didn't develop into a consistent WR until year 3 despite getting a direct, non-contest path to the field.  Adams was a less than 500 yards per season WR that offered little to no TD upside in his first 2 seasons in the NFL all while getting a massive amount of snaps and opportunity. 

Ty Mongomery's development at WR was so slow that he was moved to RB.  I'm not super confident that we can just plug any warm body into the offense  with AR12 and get the level of production that we'd seen from post prime Jordy. 

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

I guess we'll find out.  Had Nelson stayed in Green Bay I'd have taken that bet without hesitation.  We've risked the success of our season into Adams being  a  #1 caliber NFL WR and he didn't develop into a consistent WR until year 3 despite getting a direct, non-contest path to the field.  Adams was a less than 500 yards per season WR that offered little to no TD upside in his first 2 seasons in the NFL all while getting a massive amount of snaps and opportunity. 

He was awesome as a rookie and gutted out an entire season on an ankle that was done as a soph because we lost Nelson. Now you're just trying to fit a narrative. Everyone saw Davante as a star after his rookie year, our two biggest games of the year NE and Dallas he was the best WR on the field.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He was awesome as a rookie and gutted out an entire season on an ankle that was done as a soph because we lost Nelson. Now you're just trying to fit a narrative. Everyone saw Davante as a star after his rookie year, our two biggest games of the year NE and Dallas he was the best WR on the field.

We have a different definition of what awesome is.  In 13 games his rookie year he had  fewer than 3 catches.  While he had some big games he was almost useless for the vast majority of his rookie year.  He was far less productive than past WRs in that role despite getting substantially more snaps and opportunity.  Yes he was banged up as a sophomore but he also looked terrible despite big expectations.  I'm not dogging on Adams, just pointing out that he took 3 years to develop into a starting caliber NFL WR. 

54 minutes ago, SSG said:

Oh stop. It has nothing to do with him leaving. It should be a telltale sign that Nelson needs a QB of Rodgers ability to be effective when there's two other guys on the roster making it work that were in the same position Jordy was. There were non-stop complaints last year about the inability to create separation and the lack of athletic ability throughout our WR corp last year. Nelson was a part of that. More so than just about any other skill position player on our roster. 

Archived