Mitchell-Gay-Golden all gone.

AFF

There is some very nice pieces in FA to pursue for the safety spot. Honestly I would love to sign anyone of Mathieu, Vaccaro, Burnett, or Boston. I know they are all more expensive than we realistically can afford but adding one of them as well as a day 2 pick would be a huge boost to the secondary.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Made comments today that it's more about a winning culture to him than money, that tells me there's a chance.

I heard that too, but he is still one of the best free agent safeties out there. He will still be looking to get decent money though (I am guessing at the minimal $7 - $8 Million range).  I don't think we can afford that right now. I think his (Honey Badger) becoming a free agent helps us with leverage with a player like Tre Boston.  Prior to free agency, Boston was thought as being the top or  a top three safety available, but seems to have fallen in the rankings.  Some have Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Reid ahead of him.  I think that is good for us, because I think his range and ability is what we need. He would be a good fit on our defense. I believe they will still draft a safety if they sign him or someone else. However, with our depth being what it is, many of us have been saying that the Steelers will double dip at safety (Free Agency and Draft or Draft two).

How the team handled JJ Wilcox has me really perplexed.  First off, I was one of the happiest people when they signed him.  I thought that he would be able to play in the box when they went with three safeties in the Nickel.  I also thought that he would allow more versatility in the base (as far as personnel) by allowing Sean Davis to play some FS as well. 

He played in early games and then he got a concussion against the Bears if I recall.  He didn't play many defensive snaps after that. They put him on special teams where he struggled badly with a lot of stupid mental errors (consistently blocking in the back or personal foul for late hit).  He is an aggressive tackler, but for whatever reason they stopped playing him on the defense. 

As much as I am not a Golden fan, he was a better special teams player and added more value there than I saw Wilcox ever do.  Golden was also ranked ahead of Wilcox on the depth chart.  It was just very puzzling how this situation is playing out with JJ.  Maybe they believe that he can be the player that they thought traded for with an off season of OTA's and a full training camp.  Most fans do not have faith based on what we saw last season.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I think he just didn’t get the defense as fast as they hoped and the cuncussion disrupted his integration and they felt it wasn’t the right move. 

I think he still has a lot of starter potential. I wish he was cheaper, though.

I'm very much willing to give Wilcox a chance to start, and let him have a full off-season and camp in the system. However, I'd really like to have a 1st or 2nd round safety in camp to compete with him there, which is what I'm hoping they are thinking too.

At the very least, I think he's a good 3rd safety or starts for a few weeks until the rookie as able. That's my hope at least 

Archived