Packers Sign Kyle Fuller to Offer Sheet

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Chili said:

I'm seeing very conflicting responses towards Fuller's offer sheet.

You get this that makes us sound good:

then you get this which makes us sound bad and make the bears look like geniuses:

So which is it? the Bears look bad for not giving him a 5th year option or franchise tagging him and they end up paying significantly more or we look bad for not offering enough?

The Bears win either way, they get the player, pretty much all that matters at this point. 

Just now, Toddfather said:

Yeah, I get youre upset. Is it because next year he was going to sign with us? Is it because we took a show and failed? We explored an avenue to get a player, and didn't get a player. That's what happened tonight, and spoiler alert... Will probably happen again. 

No,

I'm upset we negotiated a sweatheart deal for our rival.

I'm upset we apparently didn't understand how a transition tag worked.

I'm upset that our offer was so sweet, that the Bears felt the need to sign it immediately rather than risk the possibility that we revoke it. 

They could have held our cap for 5 days while Free Agents were getting signed. We're lucky they didn't. 

To be clear, I'm not against financial restraint. It's simply not a match for restricted free agency. If they don't want to take a risk on a player being overpaid, then RFA is not for them. Don't even bother with RFA if you're going to practice financial restraint. That's getting matched 100% of the time.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

So which is it? the Bears look bad for not giving him a 5th year option or franchise tagging him and they end up paying significantly more or we look bad for not offering enough?

IF the full amount of the guaranteed is SB, then spread that over 4 years.

$4.5M per year in SB.  That means that Fuller is an easy cut after the 2nd year as the cap savings would be rather decent in the 3rd and especially the 4th years.  

Even if GB front loaded the deal (56-18 is 38M remaining over the 4 years).  

Base Salaries of 12, 12, 8, 6....CHI still has a relatively cheap player in the last 2 years relative to what starting CB's are going for currently and what they will be signing for in 2-3 years.  

4 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Yeah, I get youre upset. Is it because next year he was going to sign with us? Is it because we took a shot and failed? We explored an avenue to get a player, and didn't get a player. That's what happened tonight, and spoiler alert... Will probably happen again. 

Imagine we transition tag HHCD and the Bears sign him to 4/38 with 14m guaranteed. That's what just happened. We gave a division rival a hell of a deal for one of their better players.

6 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

As I alluded to jokingly before, Ball's probable influence appears to have killed a potentially savvy move before it even had a chance...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/kyle-fuller-gets-4-million-more-per-year-than-bears-had-offered/

You gotta be willing to take on a little more risk than that if delving into Restricted Free Agency. This is what happens when you don't make the GM the clear boss. It smells a whole lot like Gute went to Ball saying I want to go after Fuller with an offer sheet. And then Ball effed it up with his far too conservative financial restraint.

Gute's name is on the offer man. He had to make the call.

Can't be excusing GMs for making ****ty offers. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No,

I'm upset we negotiated a sweatheart deal for our rival.

I'm upset we apparently didn't understand how a transition tag worked.

I'm upset that our offer was so sweet, that the Bears felt the need to sign it immediately rather than risk the possibility that we revoke it. 

They could have held our cap for 5 days while Free Agents were getting signed. We're lucky they didn't. 

Yeah .. it's an odd one.  Any chance that Fuller shares an agent with the honey badger?

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gute's name is on the offer man. He had to make the call.

Can't be excusing GMs for making ****ty offers. 

Oh believe me, I'm not. If Gute wants Fuller he's got to take that crap offer sheet Ball drew up and say "nice try, make it harder to match". Unfortunately I suspect Ball is given autonomous power on structuring contracts. To me this is the first failure resulting directly from the cluster eff arrangement Murphy orchestrated.

Hopefully Gute is fuming right now and next time has the balls to tell Ball to write up a contract that hurts.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Oh believe me, I'm not. If Gute wants Fuller he's got to take that crap offer sheet Ball drew up and say "nice try, make it harder to match". Unfortunately I suspect Ball is given autonomous power on structuring contracts. To me this is the first failure resulting directly from the cluster eff arrangement Murphy orchestrated.

That can't be the case. 

You wouldn't give a GM authority without allowing him to negotiate contracts. 

Ball is there for advice and guidance. He's not making final calls. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That can't be the case. 

Ball is there for advice and guidance. He's not making final calls. 

One would hope but do we know that's the case? I mean, I find it hard to believe that Gute decided to move on from Randall knowing we have major holes at CB. I think that was all Mac. I really think we may have too many cooks in the kitchen. As a Bucks fan, it's something I'm far too familiar with.

EDIT - Then again, we had a boner for Kizer last year so who the hell truly knows...

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That can't be the case. 

Oh you think so huh? Because that's exactly the arrangement that developed the past few years with Thompson. We saw how well that translated with free agency. TT's firing was a chance to reign Ball back in. This offer sheet tells me Ball is still in control of contracts as has been speculated.

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

One would hope but do we know that's the case? I mean, I find it hard to believe that Gute decided to move on from Randall knowing we have major holes at CB. I think that was all Mac. I really think we may have too many cooks in the kitchen. As a Bucks fan, it's something I'm far too familiar with.

EDIT - Then again, we had a boner for Kizer last year so who the hell truly knows...

Murphy has to sign every move. 

If Murphy is signing moves brought to him by McCarthy and Ball, this team is seriously dysfunctional. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Oh you think so huh? Because that's exactly the arrangement that developed the past few years with Thompson. We saw how well that translated with free agency. TT's firing was a chance to reign Ball back in. This offer sheet tells me Ball is still in control of contracts as has been speculated.

When did this happen? This is revisionist history at best and baseless speculation at worst. 

Archived