Packers Sign Kyle Fuller to Offer Sheet

Packerraymond

37 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So 5th ...not 4th

Fuller is 11th based on total $$ over the contract length.

Fuller is 8th in practical guaranteed

I guess you can look at a contract and spin it to fit a narrative you want.

Yep, just like you are ;)

I was obviously referring to Barnwells tweet.

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Do you have proof? That's the power Ball held with Thompson. And everything reported suggests Ball retained the same power if not more. He was damn near named GM and was Ted's protege.

Ball is in charge of writing the contracts, but he isn't the be all end all on assigning value. Additionally, Murphy said any big decisions would be a collaborative effort - communication. You are going all Area 51 on this for no reason

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/30/russ-ball-plays-hardball-packers-heart/349607001/

The irony of such apoplexy is that Thompson plays an absentee role in the actual negotiation of contracts, both with his own players and those from other teams.

“I think there’s an extraordinary amount of trust, and the trust factor certainly rears its head in this particular case,” Thompson said in an interview last week. “I think (my approach) is a little bit more hands-off.

Ball, 57, is the most influential person in the organization whom the public knows the least information about.

The particulars of modern-day negotiations often center on guaranteed money, and in this regard the Packers are among the most rigid teams in the league: Since Ball’s arrival, the Packers have flat-out refused to guarantee base salaries for future years of veteran contracts, according to an agent who has done numerous deals with the team.

If this is going to work and Gute is going to be able to follow through on his goal of being more aggressive, then they can't abide by Ball's rigid rules. And today they wrote an offer following Ball's rigid rules to a tee. That's absurd on an offer sheet to a RFA.

The reason we rarely dipped into free agency wasn't simply Ted Thompson. Russ Ball was every but responsible if not moreso. McCarthy wanted out if Ball was named GM because he knew it was more of the same. Gute is a compromise. But even if Gute wants to get creative, he's still saddled with Russ effing Ball. It's a cluster eff.

14 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Ball is in charge of writing the contracts, but he isn't the be all end all on assigning value. Additionally, Murphy said any big decisions would be a collaborative effort - communication. You are going all Area 51 on this for no reason

A collaborative effort is a horrible structure. That's been proven in Green Bay. They need a GM with full control. The coach should coach. And the effing contract guy should write the contract that gets the player in your uniform per the orders of the GM. Not left to decide on his own how far they're willing to go. That offer sheet to Fuller isn't a Gute "let's get this guy", it's a Ball "this is what I'm comfortable with in regard to the cap and my rule about guaranteed money". Murphy effed this whole process from the start.

8 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

A collaborative effort is a horrible structure. That's been proven in Green Bay. They need a GM with full control. The coach should coach. And the effing contract guy should write the contract that gets the player in your uniform per the orders of the GM. Not left to decide on his own how far they're willing to go. That offer sheet to Fuller isn't a Gute "let's get this guy", it's a Ball "this is what I'm comfortable with in regard to the cap and my rule about guaranteed money". Murphy effed this whole process from the start.

You dont know:
The Coach is doing anything more than coaching.

That Ball is left to decide on his own how far they're willing to go.

What Murphy's involvement in this offer matter was - or that he effed it up. 

Therefore, you dont know these comments to be true as it pertains to Green Bay: A collaborative effort is a horrible structure. That's been proven in Green Bay.

14 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/30/russ-ball-plays-hardball-packers-heart/349607001/

If this is going to work and Gute is going to be able to follow through on his goal of being more aggressive, then they can't abide by Ball's rigid rules. And today they wrote an offer following Ball's rigid rules to a tee. That's absurd on an offer sheet to a RFA.

The reason we rarely dipped into free agency wasn't simply Ted Thompson. Russ Ball was every but responsible if not moreso. McCarthy wanted out if Ball was named GM because he knew it was more of the same. Gute is a compromise. But even if Gute wants to get creative, he's still saddled with Russ effing Ball. It's a cluster eff.

You're not seeing the difference between negotiating and reaching out and setting bench marks?

Believe what you choose to believe. I've read enough about the unusual power ceded to Russ Ball over the years to be very wary that he's still around. I'm also very wary wary of forming a three-headed collaboration between the GM, coach, and contract guy. The pathetic offer sheet we learned of today may not be enough convincing of Ball's maintained influence to you guys but it looks, smells, and sounds like a Russ Ball special to me. What team thinks giving the friggin contract guy the same voice as the coach and GM is a sound idea? That's what leads to half-assed efforts like they attempted today. If our GM felt like he had true authority, that offer sheet is a heckuva lot stronger than the weak trash we threw out there today.

If Russ Ball's role isn't diminished from the power Thompson afforded him, we can expect more of what we've seen the last decade.

Archived