Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

"What Pettine needs from his cornerbacks is a willingness to play aggressively at the line of scrimmage and the cover skills to blanket receivers across the field. His scheme, while amorphous, was most effective when Cromartie and fellow corner Darrelle Revis battered opposing wideouts to disrupt an offense’s timing. Pettine liked “smart, physical play,” according to Dawidoff, “and when he didn’t get it … he was fierce.”

Fierce is hardly the word to describe what the Packers have cultivated at cornerback in recent years, be it the languid approach of top draft picks Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins, the wide-eyed inexperience of undrafted rookies or the tightfisted approach to free agency by former general manager Ted Thompson. Pettine told the scouting department of his affinity for feisty, press-man corners prior to the Senior Bowl, according to a source familiar with the team, and new GM Brian Gutekunst responded by using his first two picks on Jaire Alexander (5-10¼, 196 pounds, 4.38 speed) and Josh Jackson (6-0⅜, 196, 4.48), respectively"

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/19/packers-defense-cornerbacks-mike-pettine/624139002/

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Fierce is hardly the word to describe what the Packers have cultivated at cornerback in recent years, be it the languid approach of top draft picks Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins, the wide-eyed inexperience of undrafted rookies or the tightfisted approach to free agency by former general manager Ted Thompson.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/19/packers-defense-cornerbacks-mike-pettine/624139002/

Languid = "displaying or having a disinclination for physical exertion or effort; slow and relaxed." 

Wide-eyed = "having one's eyes wide open in amazement."

Tightfisted = "not willing to spend or give much money; miserly."

Cohen really digging deep for adjectives to explain the Pack's dysfunction CB, from a talent, coaching, and management perspective, the past few years.

If there is one sport where "a disinclination for physical exertion or effort" is sure to pay off, it has got to be professional football, right?

When Rollins gets cut all the central figures in the debacle that has been CB position in GB will finally gone -- unless one believes Whitt is responsible. 

Anyway, so great that Gute and Pettine fully recognized the deep dysfunction they inherited at CB and are not standing idly by as was previously the norm.

Now, if Gute can do something at OLB ...

28 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Now, if Gute can do something at OLB ...

And so it begins...since you're the all knowing, what exactly should the Packers have done this offseason to fix the EDGE position that doesn't ignore the CB position as well?  I'll be waiting.

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And so it begins...since you're the all knowing, what exactly should the Packers have done this offseason to fix the EDGE position that doesn't ignore the CB position as well?  I'll be waiting.

Trade a seventh round pick for Von Miller obviously.  Just gotta go in and set Von Miller's strength to a 2 first, then just switch it back once the trade is complete.  Do not question his Franchise Mode. 

"If you’re still wondering why the Packers went with two defensive backs to start the draft for the third time in four years, you don’t need to look any further than the NFC North......I was lukewarm on the Packers taking two straight corners, but the NFC North is on the verge of a rebranding. You know how the old “Black and Blue Division” was three yards and a cloud of dust?  Well, this isn’t your dad’s NFC North or NFC Central as it were. With Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford and an improving Mitch Trubisky, the division will be leaning on the pass like never before"

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-toughest-test-for-packers-secondary-515?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hardly need to look at the division to deduce the need for corner. Whether it was 1930 or 2020, all you had to do was look a the roster to see CB was the top need. Edge would have been glamorous and the shiny pick, but was no where near the need CB was. I didn't think we'd double dip with our 2nd rounder, but hardly shocked.

The real trick is how to turn our corners into Revis. 'All we need is a Revis'  is damn near the same as saying 'all we need is a Deion Sanders.'  Petine's challenge is to cover up the growing pains or the mediocrity - if that is how the secondary turns out, because I'm not gonna hold my breath

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What are you whining about now?

I'm not complaining about Gute not adding to the OLB position, not at all.

Given the gaping holes he inherited at CB (holes that have been apparent to anyone paying attention for at least the past 2 seasons) and OLB and given the relative strength of the CB vis-a-vis OLB classes in the draft, I'm thrilled Gute focused on the CB position this offseason.

I'm just hoping against hope he can still add a veteran at OLB to strengthen that obvious area of weakness as well.

No criticism of Gute in the least.

Not his fault the roster was left in the state it was at CB, ILB, and OLB.

Now, tell us yet again how the bestest drafting GM that ever lived just got so darn unlucky drafting the likes of Randall, Rollins, Fackrell, etc. 

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Pettine told the scouting department of his affinity for feisty, press-man corners prior to the Senior Bowl, according to a source familiar with the team, and new GM Brian Gutekunst responded by using his first two picks on Jaire Alexander (5-10¼, 196 pounds, 4.38 speed) and Josh Jackson (6-0⅜, 196, 4.48), respectively"

Isn't Jackson the antithesis of what Pettine is describing? Sure hope we use hin correctly.

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Now, tell us yet again how the bestest drafting GM that ever lived just got so darn unlucky drafting the likes of Randall, Rollins, Fackrell, etc. 

Name any GM that was a GM for five years in the history of the NFL and I will show you worse busts than Randall, Rollins and Fackrell. 

Gonna quote this three times and challenge you three times until you finally for once take me up on the offer instead of insufferably suggest Thompson was awful in spite of not being able to go out on a limb and name one GM you think was better than him at drafting. 

I'll use this third time quoting you to bring up Cyrus Jones, Jordan Richards, Geneo Grissom, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Ras-I-Dowling, Ryan Mallet, Taylor Price, Ron Brace, Terrance Wheatley, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell, Jonathan Wilhite, Kareem Brown and Chad Jackson.  Who are those people?  All mediocre to really, really, really, REALLY bad draft picks by the man you love so much... Bill Belichick.  All 2nd-4th round picks. 

Keep calling Thompson out and I'll keep calling you out. 

Name one single GM you think was better than him and I will show you more busts from that GM. 

21 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

What are you whining about now?

I'm not complaining about Gute not adding to the OLB position, not at all.

Given the gaping holes he inherited at CB (holes that have been apparent to anyone paying attention for at least the past 2 seasons) and OLB and given the relative strength of the CB vis-a-vis OLB classes in the draft, I'm thrilled Gute focused on the CB position this offseason.

I'm just hoping against hope he can still add a veteran at OLB to strengthen that obvious area of weakness as well.

No criticism of Gute in the least.

Not his fault the roster was left in the state it was at CB, ILB, and OLB.

If that wasn't you complaining about Gute, then you had me fooled.

Archived