Sam Darnold Pro Day (3/21/18)

Mind Character

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

So now Baker likes football more and cares more than Darnold?

I see the Moxie train with a capital ‘M’ has well and truly left the station.

@Mind Character, you are no longer the worst. It was a wild ride, buddy, and I really enjoyed all the time served. I just...I just can't.

34 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He wasn’t just good, he was exceptional, best ever in college in consecutive years. Does scheme and conference play a factor?  Sure, but he’s not the first to play in the scheme or in that conference.

I get preferring Rosen or Darnold, I like Darnold more, but I’m just not sure where the Baker hate comes from.

Yep to all of this.

To the Bold: I get concerns off of off-the-field and height. Those are the only ones I really get though. And for the off-field ones, I feel like if you trust Dorsey (which I think most of the anti-Mayfield crowd do), then if we draft him wouldn't you assume that Dorsey did the background to make sure that was a one-time thing?

To the italics: The PAC12 was actually just as bad this year defensively as the BIG12. So Darnold/Rosen should also have major concerns about them if we're saying bad opposing defenses = bad prospects. Allen too. 

3 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yep to all of this.

To the Bold: I get concerns off of off-the-field and height. Those are the only ones I really get though. And for the off-field ones, I feel like if you trust Dorsey (which I think most of the anti-Mayfield crowd do), then if we draft him wouldn't you assume that Dorsey did the background to make sure that was a one-time thing?

To the italics: The PAC12 was actually just as bad this year defensively as the BIG12. So Darnold/Rosen should also have major concerns about them if we're saying bad opposing defenses = bad prospects. Allen too. 

TBH, his height is the only thing that concerns me. I like his fire and passion for the game. Height is a MAJOR and valid concern.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So to this I ask, who is the last QB to fail because of height?

Sounds like a loaded question. What metric is there for me to be able to say that?

Theres a reason very few short QBs (under 6'2) are consistently successful. There's been 2 that I can think of in the past.... forever: Brees and Wilson. They show it's possible, it's just an uphill battle that I don't think the Browns should deal with at this juncture. Throwing lanes are a major problem. You have to specifically craft an offense for that QB. We don't have that ability.

29 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yep to all of this.

So Baker’s only on field concern is height?

And that’s clearly an arguable ‘concern’ anyway. He sounds like the perfect on field prospect at this point.

7 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

So Baker’s only on field concern is height?

And that’s clearly an arguable ‘concern’ anyway. He sounds like the perfect on field prospect at this point.

If by arguable you mean, 2 QBs with his height have been successful over the last decade then yes.

i will admit that a major component of a short QB being successful is accuracy and footwork, both of which he does very well. The other issue which I stated above is that it takes quality offensive coaching to scheme around his height, which I would say we don't have. Hue is not a good coaching fit for Mayfield.

Its just a bad fit, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

If by arguable you mean, 2 QBs with his height have been successful over the last decade then yes.

i will admit that a major component of a short QB being successful is accuracy and footwork, both of which he does very well. The other issue which I stated above is that it takes quality offensive coaching to scheme around his height, which I would say we don't have. Hue is not a good coaching fit for Mayfield.

Its just a bad fit, IMO. 

I was employing sarcasm. I stand firmly on your side of the argument. Height is heavily important and that there have only been two consistently successful QBs with a lack of it is solid proof to me.

41 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

The other issue which I stated above is that it takes quality offensive coaching to scheme around his height, which I would say we don't have. Hue is not a good coaching fit for Mayfield.

Its just a bad fit, IMO. 

And we just traded for a QB pretty much the same height so if Hue can't scheme around a 6'1 QB we are in trouble this year and he will probably be fired during or after this season anyway.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

And we just traded for a QB pretty much the same height so if Hue can't scheme around a 6'1 QB we are in trouble this year and he will probably be fired during or after this season anyway.

Do you think Taylor will be starting after this year? Will he start this whole year? 

6 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Do you think Taylor will be starting after this year? Will he start this whole year? 

After this year, I doubt it. If he does start the whole year and Hue can't scheme for a 6'1 QB to run his offense (Dalton is 6'2) then I see no way Hue keeps his job.

If we draft Darnold or Rosen or even Allen and they pull a Russell Wilson sending the perceived starter Taylor the way of Matt Flynn on opening day then it wouldn't matter. Any other scenario would.

Hue’s gone by midseason-two thirds through imo. Got a feeling we’ll underwhelm for the first half of the year or so, relative to the additions we’ve made. I think Hue’s incompetence will shine through and frustrate.

We’ll stick Haley in as interim and the rookie will play the last couple of games to get his feet wet.

Then I think we’ll either promote Haley to full time HC or get a fresh young, innovative coach like Flip to start the new era with the QB.

Archived