This Ain't Raider Talk Baby!

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Dexter was the product of greed. Should have climaxed and ended in season 5, but it was printing money so they stretched it for 8 seasons. I hate that TV does this with good shows. Why I always respect Breaking Bad for telling story and ending it on their terms. 

GOT, I've watched the first 3 eps 3 times, can never get into it. Heard it's great from literally everyone 

Starts really picking up in Episode 5. I would say Ep5-10 of the first season are some of the best of the entire show. So watch the first full season, if it’s for you, then continue, if not, stop. Although I think the first two episodes are great as well... but episodes 3 and 4 of Season 1 are two of the worst of the entire series. 

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

My issue with GOT is not the story but the execution of the story.  Everything thing that has happened makes since in the story but feels rushed.  Nothing feels organic.  This season should have been 13 episodes.  the episode before the Bells should have been just about Daenerys'  mental state and slowly build who she might be.  Show the golden company fighting her forces while Drogon is trying to take down the navy and breach the city.  Once they are defeated have the bells ring out with a close up up of her face and then end the episode with no preview.  Next episode she goes crazy and the episode ends with her celebrating with her army and everyone else starting to change while they have to pick up the pieces and the reality of what happened sets in.  You could start to get an understanding of how the characters feel but leave some on the fence.  End the episode then have the finale.  The final episode could probably be broken up into 2 episodes because I am sure they are going to rush it also but I have no clue what direction stuff is going to go in.  I would love for a flashback of what Bran told Tyrion that made him tell Varys.  No reason to tell Varys if he truly does support Dany like he has said.  This is just off the top of my head so if I thought about with a few friends we could probably come up with something great.

Exactly, nothing feels organic what so ever, especially Dannys heel turn. Some people will give you sentences and I’m like that’s not the point... I know the building blocks are there but it doesn’t feel genuine in any way. 

Season 7 and 8 should of been full seasons and one more in Season 9 and perhaps it would of felt genuine if they started her turn now. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Exactly, nothing feels organic what so ever, especially Dannys heel turn. Some people will give you sentences and I’m like that’s not the point... I know the building blocks are there but it doesn’t feel genuine in any way. 

Season 7 and 8 should of been full seasons and one more in Season 9 and perhaps it would of felt genuine if they started her turn now. 

Preach. I don't have any huge issues with the net result so much as the way they got there. Deeply established arcs and character behaviors and just realities and physics of the world have been completely thrown by the wayside to shoehorn the ending so Dumb & Dumber can go ruin something else

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Preach. I don't have any huge issues with the net result so much as the way they got there. Deeply established arcs and character behaviors and just realities and physics of the world have been completely thrown by the wayside to shoehorn the ending so Dumb & Dumber can go ruin something else

People forget that they wrote the 45 of the 72 episode. They are great writers that made some wrong choices at the end of this decade having the biggest tv show in history. I definitely trust them with shorter form writing and plot construction. Plus I think this experience has thought them valuable lessons.

48 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Exactly, they rushed the ending and no longer cared about the show because they have a Star Wars movie due out in 2022. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

People forget that they wrote the 45 of the 72 episode. They are great writers that made some wrong choices at the end of this decade having the biggest tv show in history. I definitely trust them with shorter form writing and plot construction. Plus I think this experience has thought them valuable lessons.

I respect your....well....respect for them haha. I guess what it comes down to is either they didn't know how to write or plan it (which seems like a long shot but is possible), or they mailed it in. Because it just feels like a lot of plot and character development is just super rushed. So many instances this season where things just needed more time to marinate before they happened. Jamie's plot is another example.

34 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Exactly, they rushed the ending and no longer cared about the show because they have a Star Wars movie due out in 2022. 

Yeah the thing that bugs me is not only how rushed it is but the plot devices and liberties taken to advance it. Ex) Euron's fleet and their abilities (and weapons' abilities) in Episode 5 vs Episode 6. Episode 5's scene with the fleet greatly diverged from previously established details about the Dragons and their strengths. I guess you could say that already happened beyond the wall when the Night King did his thing but I could see that one since he's supernatural.

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I respect your....well....respect for them haha. I guess what it comes down to is either they didn't know how to write or plan it (which seems like a long shot but is possible), or they mailed it in. Because it just feels like a lot of plot and character development is just super rushed. So many instances this season where things just needed more time to marinate before they happened. Jamie's plot is another example.

Yeah the thing that bugs me is not only how rushed it is but the plot devices and liberties taken to advance it. Ex) Euron's fleet and their abilities (and weapons' abilities) in Episode 5 vs Episode 6. Episode 5's scene with the fleet greatly diverged from previously established details about the Dragons and their strengths. I guess you could say that already happened beyond the wall when the Night King did his thing but I could see that one since he's supernatural.

I don't know what the complaint is with the fleet firing Balista bolts and hitting an unsuspecting target that flys right into the bolts path vs what Drogon did to them in E06. He showed in E05 that when he could see them coming he could effectively dodge them. This isn't a plot hole to me.

With stuff being rushed, I agree but I also see threads of everything that happened foreshadowed in pretty clear ways throughout the show. My gripe is they should have had full seasons. That would have given them the room to show the arcs, which is the main complaint people have.

As to mailing it in. I don't buy that either. I just think they were given board plot point to hit by GGM and they aren't the writers he is. So filling that gap with there own stuff seems of tone to what GRRM would have done which is the basis for all the stuff we loved in the previous seasons. I don't claim to know the inner workings of HBO and I don't know how solid the rumors of them being offered unlimited budget and full seasons worth of episodes was questionable to me when I heard it but D+B said that they didn't have the time to shoot full 10 epi seasons on the shooting schedule HBO want them to keep the last too years and still have the season ready to release. They were in effect had to shoot 4 to 5 movies worth of stuff in 12-14 months. Huge task.

15 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I have a feeling that if they would have made this season 1 or 2 episodes longer to simply show Daenerys succumb to the madness, everything else would feel so small that it wouldn't be worth complaining about.  That key character development would have made the ending to this series up there with the GOAT season endings. 

15 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't know what the complaint is with the fleet firing Balista bolts and hitting an unsuspecting target that flys right into the bolts path vs what Drogon did to them in E06. He showed in E05 that when he could see them coming he could effectively dodge them. This isn't a plot hole to me.

With stuff being rushed, I agree but I also see threads of everything that happened foreshadowed in pretty clear ways throughout the show. My gripe is they should have had full seasons. That would have given them the room to show the arcs, which is the main complaint people have.

As to mailing it in. I don't buy that either. I just think they were given board plot point to hit by GGM and they aren't the writers he is. So filling that gap with there own stuff seems of tone to what GRRM would have done which is the basis for all the stuff we loved in the previous seasons. I don't claim to know the inner workings of HBO and I don't know how solid the rumors of them being offered unlimited budget and full seasons worth of episodes was questionable to me when I heard it but D+B said that they didn't have the time to shoot full 10 epi seasons on the shooting schedule HBO want them to keep the last too years and still have the season ready to release. They were in effect had to shoot 4 to 5 movies worth of stuff in 12-14 months. Huge task.

I definitely disagree and think it is a major plot hole since Drogon was TOTALLY surrounded over the bay AND there were a plethora of other ones along the walls. They had a sweeping overhead shot depicting how many ships were there and there were hella angles to be used even if not straight up. It was wack. Not to mention D&D saying we basically saw the end of the Dothraki in Winterfell and then somehow TONS of them were available to fight. The Golden Company was supposed to be 200,000 strong and they definitely didn't look that big (though I'll be fair and assume some were offscreen). The inconsistencies between what they say and do just are baffling.

I totally agree that there were some elements of foreshadowing. But honestly way too subtle. This season they bash you over the head with it ex "Hey guys have I mentioned how safe the Winterfell crypts are? They're like the safest of safe". Even still, some examples make zero sense. Beinoff recalled Dany not having sympathy for her brother dying as foreshadowing.....the guy tried to sell her into sex slavery and then tried to kill her! Even the Tarly's. What was she supposed to do? Get talked down to by her first prisoners? No. Prior to that, she only went after slavers. And the whole time recently she was listening to her Advisors...Jorah. Tyrion, and Varys. She even went North to fight a war to save other people! If they took more time to actually show her going mad that would be one thing but it felt like she basically snapped in an episode due to how they had her respond to other scenes (Jon revealing his secret).

Haven't considered the bolded part. Good point. But still, I think that just means invest more time and energy. They had virtually limitless resources. Lots of characters are acting differently than their normal selves, and if you want the twists and changes to be believable, you set them up. Look no further than earlier seasons.

15 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

They made the decision to do that though. They could of had two full seasons and even a S9 but mailed it in due to Star Wars.