Is it harder for the Packers to sign free agents than it is for other teams?

MacReady

Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?

24 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Ok, so every time people perceive that a certain stereotype exists, it's accurate in the majority of a population? I think there are lots of "stereotypes" different groups of people have believed in throughout history that you would disagree with.

Probably. I don't have enough information on all of them to ascertain how much truth there is to each one. Cops eating donuts comes to mind as an example, but I haven't run into enough police officers to have an opinion there. 

I take it from your user name you took offense to the above stereotype about the southeast and plains states? 

33 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Probably. I don't have enough information on all of them to ascertain how much truth there is to each one. Cops eating donuts comes to mind as an example, but I haven't run into enough police officers to have an opinion there. 

I take it from your user name you took offense to the above stereotype about the southeast and plains states? 

I believe it should be pointed out when those of a particular persuasion that tend to pretend to be against bigotry communicate in a bigoted fashion. 

56 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I believe it should be pointed out when those of a particular persuasion that tend to pretend to be against bigotry communicate in a bigoted fashion. 

What persuasion is that? 

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing you're taking yourself and this conversation way too seriously. I'm not even the one who offered the original statement you found so offensive. 

If you find you just can't get past it there's always the ignore feature. *shrug*

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just curious but your post got me thinking if that rationale holds true for Detroit or teams from the southeast having a slightly harder time signing white guys. 

Not sure what you're getting at here...

11 hours ago, IrishGreen said:

Wouldn’t take a PhD student. Would actually be a fairly simple regression. I’m guessing money would be by fair the most influential coefficient. 

This is actually a pretty interesting topic to run something like this on.

I agree it would be an interesting topic to look at.  I also agree that if you had some data, you could probably run this equation yourself, but getting the data is the challenging part, hence my thought that this would be a great topic for someone looking for an interesting PhD thesis.  Actually, I think a lot of teams could benefit from this knowledge - knowing what the driving factors are for players and where they’d “prefer” to play.

23 hours ago, Joe said:

You've never been there so you wouldn't know that's a load of crap...

Well, yes I have.  So you saying it about Wisconsin is 'informed'?  But me referencing a different part of the country is crap?  Ever hear of the pot calling the kettle black?

Oh, I'm sorry, can I say that?  

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, TransientTexan said:

How the hell did YOU turn that into bigotry?  I think you're wrestling your own demons there buddy.  

The last few pages were kind of in the economic comparison of signing free agents.  

Then you steered it into the ditch.

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

How the hell did YOU turn that into bigotry?  I think you're wrestling your own demons there buddy.  

The last few pages were kind of in the economic comparison of signing free agents.  

No, that was you. It's clear you think it's ok to casually toss out prejudiced comments as long as it's in a certain direction. 

On 3/24/2018 at 9:16 PM, Dubz41 said:

You must not live in Wisconsin then. My father is originally from Bowler and my mother grew up in Gillett. I have cousins in Oconto and Oconto Falls on the mom's side and family in Clintonville and Omro on the dad's side of the family as well. I grew up in Texas, but would spend summers back there and I saw more confederate flags back there than I would normally see in Texas...

It's a demographics thing. The minute I leave my metro(Harrisburg/Hershey, PA), I see them. You have a lot of them living there.

• 11 months later...

So with last year's early free agency signings of Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson and this year's early signings of Adrian Amos, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner, I think we have a definitive answer to the question of whether the Packers are unable to sign free agents because they are located in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

It is now clear that, while Green Bay may not be the #1 destination for free agents, it was not the weather or demographics that led to so few forays into free agency during the previous GM's regime. Indeed, the evidence demonstrates that free agents are and likely always were interested in playing for the Packers and that the only reason so few veteran free agents signed with GB prior to Gute's arrival is that the previous GM simply did not want to partake in veteran free agency.

5 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So with last year's early free agency signings of Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson and this year's early signings of Adrian Amos, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner, I think we have a definitive answer to the question of whether the Packers are unable to sign free agents because they are located in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

It is now clear that, while Green Bay may not be the #1 destination for free agents, it was not the weather or demographics that led to so few forays into free agency during the previous GM's regime. Indeed, the evidence demonstrates that free agents are and likely always were interested in playing for the Packers and that the only reason so few veteran free agents signed with GB prior to Gute's arrival is that the previous GM simply did not want to partake in veteran free agency.

And was it worth the money invested last year? Probably not really. I have more hope for this class because they are younger, but FA is usually bad value. It's good to be careful.

I'm still of the opinion it is harder for us to sign free agents under 30 years old but by opening our purse strings a bit more that was enough to persuade those under the age of 30 to come here. Simply put, money talks.

Whilst its still difficult for us it does mean we have to "overpay" in order to get into the FA conversation. I don't think this year's free agency acquisitions has changed the perception that Green Bay is not an attractive FA destination. All it means is we simply offered more money.

Archived