2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

24 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Jets sent 2 scouts to see Josh Allen live this weekend

I wonder if Mac has a rough plan in mind yet. Are we willing to trade up, are we going to let the draft fall to us, or maybe we go BPA in round 1 and then move up/take one round 2

or do we have eyes on any of the FA QBs?

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I wonder if Mac has a rough plan in mind yet. Are we willing to trade up, are we going to let the draft fall to us, or maybe we go BPA in round 1 and then move up/take one round 2

or do we have eyes on any of the FA QBs?

It’s all very fluid at this point. Wouldn’t surprise me if all three of those were on the table. Also, for all we know they roll with Petty/Hackenberg next year. Either way, I actually am impressed with the way this coaching staff is developing. The fact they’re getting this kind of production out of McCown has a lot to do with a sound offensive strategy, and that’s a big plus. 

My expectation is that they will be all in on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, and if that fails could be in the market for one of these other FA QBs to compete with what they currently have. My guess is they’ll maintain the BPA approach and will only take a 1st round QB if they are in fact the “Best Player Available” 

A lot that needs to be figured out, but I’m still hoping Hackenberg can prove everyone wrong and be a starting QB... that would be a huge boon for the franchise

11 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It’s all very fluid at this point. Wouldn’t surprise me if all three of those were on the table. Also, for all we know they roll with Petty/Hackenberg next year. Either way, I actually am impressed with the way this coaching staff is developing. The fact they’re getting this kind of production out of McCown has a lot to do with a sound offensive strategy, and that’s a big plus. 

My expectation is that they will be all in on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, and if that fails could be in the market for one of these other FA QBs to compete with what they currently have. My guess is they’ll maintain the BPA approach and will only take a 1st round QB if they are in fact the “Best Player Available” 

A lot that needs to be figured out, but I’m still hoping Hackenberg can prove everyone wrong and be a starting QB... that would be a huge boon for the franchise

Yea if I had to rank the QB position:

1) Would love Petty/Hack to take over

2) Cousins

3) Smith or Brees + Draft Pick

4) Jimmy G 

5) Tyrod/Bridgewater/Bradford + Draft Pick

11 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He’s great but Running Backs just aren’t franchise changing players these days.

The Jags offense has completely transformed by adding  Fournette (whom some of us here didn’t want, he’s making a larger immediate impact than Adams by far)

Stud RBs like these two deserve the high pick. Elliott is a game changer. So is Bell. True elite RBs are game changers.

This idea that top RBs aren’t worth it and you can just throw anyone behind a line is non sense  

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

The Jags offense has completely transformed by adding  Fournette (whom some of us here didn’t want, he’s making a larger immediate impact than Adams by far)

Stud RBs like these two deserve the high pick. Elliott is a game changer. So is Bell. True elite RBs are game changers.

This idea that top RBs aren’t worth it and you can just throw anyone behind a line is non sense  

2/3 you mentioned have a QB to pair with their RB and the Jags have an elite D to keep games close. We have a good D but far from elite and no QB. When the game is on the line and you need to march 70 yards in under 90 seconds your star RB is nearly worthless but your QB is everything. It's about time we brought on a player that can bring us out of a hole instead of having players who can just keep us treading water all game.

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Cowboys have Prescott and a great OL, Jags have a good OL and Bortles holding them back.

QB/O-Line are still more important imo. I’d be happy with Barkley but couldn’t justify it knowing where we need upgrades. 

21 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

21 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

2/3 you mentioned have a QB to pair with their RB and the Jags have an elite D to keep games close. We have a good D but far from elite and no QB. When the game is on the line and you need to march 70 yards in under 90 seconds your star RB is nearly worthless but your QB is everything. It's about time we brought on a player that can bring us out of a hole instead of having players who can just keep us treading water all game.

Okay? We can’t pass on elite level prospects because we don’t have a QB. I would gladly take the franchise QB but this team is incapable of finding/developing one. And Roethlisberger has been god awful this year, Bell is still getting his. And the defense isn’t elite, but we literally will never have an elite defense then because we can not cater to that side of the ball any harder than we already have. So sucks to be the Jets.

if Mac is really Mr “BPA” then Barkley is likely the best football player on the board when we pick.

”treading water” to me is what this awful franchise has been doing with their draft picks. Do something different. Draft an elite offensive talent for once. Do anything other than this mind numbingly awful drafts we have been having for the most part. Stop passing on offensive skill positions for defensive players. 

damn mobile on here sucks

4 minutes ago, GreenShore said:

I would be okay with taking Barkley. 

Kid is the truth, much better than Guice, who in my opinion will be a one dimensional NFL back.

Better than reaching for a linemen. If we draft 5-6 all the QBs and pass rushers/tackles (top ones) will be off the board anyway.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

Better than reaching for a linemen. If we draft 5-6 all the QBs and pass rushers/tackles (top ones) will be off the board anyway.

Connor Williams or Mike McGlinchy(LT from ND) wouldn't be reaches 

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

5 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yea if I had to rank the QB position:

1) Would love Petty/Hack to take over

2) Cousins

3) Smith or Brees + Draft Pick

4) Jimmy G 

5) Tyrod/Bridgewater/Bradford + Draft Pick

The likelihood of 1) is so remote, it's not even worth thinking about really. I mean, as mentioned above, the offensive coaching is not bad now and is actually turning McCown into something decent. But we saw nothing in training camp that suggests either guy will become The Guy. 

Cousins is headed to San Fran, I think. That seems inevitable (unless Tom Brady heads there instead).

I'd gladly take either Alex Smith or Drew Brees. For me this is the best scenario we can hope for.

Garoppolo won't be traded to the Jets, it's just not happening.

The rest of those guys are very meh. 

2 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

The likelihood of 1) is so remote, it's not even worth thinking about really. I mean, as mentioned above, the offensive coaching is not bad now and is actually turning McCown into something decent. But we saw nothing in training camp that suggests either guy will become The Guy. 

Cousins is headed to San Fran, I think. That seems inevitable (unless Tom Brady heads there instead).

I'd gladly take either Alex Smith or Drew Brees. For me this is the best scenario we can hope for.

Garoppolo won't be traded to the Jets, it's just not happening.

The rest of those guys are very meh. 

In regards of Hack/Petty, I wouldn't be so sure. Remember, McCown has been in the offense before and had a better grasp of the playbook, whereas the others had to learn it. McCown performing this well has a lot to do with the coaching getting the most out of his abilities, which is mediocre at best. Petty and Hackenberg are both more talented, and if they are developing their awareness behind-the-scenes, it wouldn't surprise me if either are able to start at some point. That said, you are right in saying that it is unlikely - I'm just saying it's the most ideal/don't discount it. 

If we were to draft a QB, there's a few options we can look into. I'm very interested to see how Josh Allen plays the rest of the season now that they had their bye week. I've been hard on him, but NFL people still seem enamored. I defended Wentz because I always felt it was impossible for him to show his true abilities consistently with the talent he had around him, and the same goes for Allen. That doesn't mean I give him a pass, but he may be like Mahomes in the sense that he's worth the risk with a top 15 pick just because the talent is so tantalizing and his issues could be coached out of him (forcing the football)... he plays in a pro-style system with not many "gimme" throws, and I think that has a lot to do with the poor completion % too. Early returns from Morton-Bates look good- really love that they are willing to adjust the gameplan/offensive philosophy week-in/week out, and if the coaching staff remains safe I'll feel better about drafting a project like Allen and letting the coaches build an offense around what he's comfortable with. 

Archived