2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

Not really interested in a left tackle in Round 1 unless you can guarantee me a QB (who will be no less than our backup in 2018 and our future starter beyond that) in Round 2.

Great blindside protection for NO quarterback has done nothing for the Browns for the last decade. 

Unless the O line completely implodes the rest of this season, our need at QB will greatly supercede our line issues.

If we have to, why not trade down (add picks AND get a QB)? Yeah that never happens.

13 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Not really interested in a left tackle in Round 1 unless you can guarantee me a QB (who will be no less than our backup in 2018 and our future starter beyond that) in Round 2.

Great blindside protection for NO quarterback has done nothing for the Browns for the last decade. 

Unless the O line completely implodes the rest of this season, our need at QB will greatly supercede our line issues.

If we have to, why not trade down (add picks AND get a QB)? Yeah that never happens.

You can't predetermine what happens in the draft.

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

You can't predetermine what happens in the draft.

Yeah, I get that. All I am saying is the QB should be the priority in the draft. I'm not particularly interested in getting into a bidding war on the free agent market for the likes of Cousins and Alex Smith. Cousins is almost surely 49ers-bound and would probably use us as leverage, though he can probably use the Redskins as leverage too. Smith, for one thing, might not be going anywhere and secondly is not a long-term solution imho (but will surely be paid like one). 

My ideal scenario would be to land either Carmichael or Payton as head coach from New Orleans (both of whom know Morton already, so the system would be similar, and in terms of continuity would be great), and either of them would be able to convince Brees to leave New Orleans for a few seasons. Then, with our first rounder (or second, depending on how things shake down in the draft and where we select), we grab one of Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield. Either could learn from one of the best in Brees.

It's unlikely, but for me that is the absolute best-case scenario. 

8 hours ago, Jetfan66 said:

I really hate to say it, but a pass rusher in the 1st if there is no QB would be nice. (hides for cover for suggesting another Defensive 1st rd pick)

It’s the only defensive position I would not be upset about. A stud edge guy is arguably the second most important position in football and we can’t get one of those either

8 hours ago, Jetfan66 said:

I really hate to say it, but a pass rusher in the 1st if there is no QB would be nice. (hides for cover for suggesting another Defensive 1st rd pick)

I wouldn't be upset with a move like that but I'd be pounding the table to trade up for a QB. I'd rather us sit back and take a QB that falls to us in round 1. I feel like there are going to be a lot of teams that try to take a QB late this year.

Let's say we get a top 5/6 pick my BB would probably something along the lines of

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Rosen

3. Bradley Chubb

4. Connor Williams

5. Harold Landry

6. Mike McGlinchly(OT ND)

7. Quinton Nelson

8. Calvin Ridley

9. Cellini Ferrell 

10. Bryce Love 

Edit: Don't think Barkley makes it out of top 3

16 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Baker Mayfield looks like a high risk pick to me. I’d be afraid to draft him at this moment

I like Baker, but def not in the top half of the first round. You and I have typically been on the side page since the roster purge so im just curious as to your critique of Mayfield. I have some reservations, but my god is that kid a competitor. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Sam Darnold should not be #1 on our BB. Complete turnover machine with a very talented team.  

I agree he hasn't been #1 pick worthy.  I think we land in the 5/6 range as well and despite Darnold's struggles if he does come out I think he'll be gone.  Mayfield is easy to root for and I could live with him in the 2nd but I'm not taking him top 10.  It's just too risky even if he is the next Brees/Wilson type smallish QB.

I don't know if Mac/Morton would go for it but the thought of Jackson under center next year just gets me pumped.  Mac and Morton would have to build the offense to suit him and I don't know if they would do it but man he is electric.  I mean Jackson with Q, Anderson, Stewart and a FA like Landry would be if nothing else exciting.  Add in an electric RB in the mid rounds and this offense would go from pedestrian to dangerous overnight.  I mean you could literally run an offense with Anderson, Q, Landry, ASJ, McGuire on the field at the same time with Jackson. 

Archived