2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

On 31/10/2017 at 12:56 PM, JetsandI said:

I still think Jets should take a shot at quarterback no matter what.

On 31/10/2017 at 5:38 PM, rdelaney89 said:

Yea we need to go hard for QB, idc who it is but once the team decides we need to go out and get him. I don't like the idea of wait til Round 2 or trading up into the back end of the 1st because I think a lot of teams are going to look to stash a QB.

Browns, Jags, Cardinals, Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Vikings, Bills, Broncos, Patriots & Saints could all look to add a QB in this draft. 

OK, I hear you guys. My thought about potentially waiting around until Round 2 to nab our quarterback of the future assumes that we are also going to upgrade the position via free agency.

So, for example, say we are able to land a Drew Brees or Alex Smith via free agency, then I think we could afford to wait around until Round 2. Then take a chance on a Baker Mayfield, a Lamar Jackson or a Mason Rudolph, etc. 

However, if McCown is the best option among the free agents still, then I would want to secure a QB in Round 1. So, it kinda depends on the depth chart on draft day. 

Best case scenario would be something like signing Alex Smith for 2-3 years, drafting Barkley in Round 1 and then Jackson in Round 2. Get Enunwa back healthy and suddenly the offense comes alive.

7 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

OK, I hear you guys. My thought about potentially waiting around until Round 2 to nab our quarterback of the future assumes that we are also going to upgrade the position via free agency.

So, for example, say we are able to land a Drew Brees or Alex Smith via free agency, then I think we could afford to wait around until Round 2. Then take a chance on a Baker Mayfield, a Lamar Jackson or a Mason Rudolph, etc. 

However, if McCown is the best option among the free agents still, then I would want to secure a QB in Round 1. So, it kinda depends on the depth chart on draft day. 

Best case scenario would be something like signing Alex Smith for 2-3 years, drafting Barkley in Round 1 and then Jackson in Round 2. Get Enunwa back healthy and suddenly the offense comes alive.

Ah okay then yea I agree with that, I think it will depend on who is available at our first pick. I'd rather us reach this year for a QB just to be sure we get our guy. If I could write a script and get any of those QBs in the second then I would but the fear of not getting OUR guy scares me.

If Jets get a veteran quarterback then they won't need to draft a qb in first 3 rounds as they still have Hackenberg for 2 more years. Of course, that is for only when BQBA falls to them in 2nd.  Glad that you think Jackson isn't 1st round qb.

I agree with rdelaney89 concerning our guy but our guy is not the same as Maccagnan's guy. That is even more disturbing since we whine about Hackenberg.

48 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Anyone?

Not really, rather not spend another premium pick on a ILB after taking Lee last year. Resign Davis and take one in the 5th or 6th. 1st-3rd should be focused on getting QB/OLB/RB/OL help

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

ILB is pretty far down on our list of needs.

Right now, only lee is on the hook for 2 or 3 years more. It shouldn't be neglected.

16 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Not really, rather not spend another premium pick on a ILB after taking Lee last year. Resign Davis and take one in the 5th or 6th. 1st-3rd should be focused on getting QB/OLB/RB/OL help

ILB replacing RB because Maccagnan, Bowles and Morton don't prioritize RB/TE urgently. Look at what happened to Adrian Peterson in Saints offense.  I can't imagine Jets draft RB that high and not utilize him properly.    Ah... Steelers have a habit of drafting LB almost annually.

There are some mock drafts who have Baker Mayfield in the first round. One even has him going to the Jets at number 6. Earlier in the year, most had him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

How high would y'all be comfortable drafting Baker Mayfield? I'm thinking 10-25.

Just now, ekill08x said:

Well boys were better than advertised. now how do we get a young QB? lol

Got to hope Darold and Rosen come out and Jackson falls in our laps.  Like Watson some teams are going to hesitate to pull the trigger and he could be a pleasant surprise that falls into our laps.  Say what you want about the offense he's in and his ability to read defenses but he has big time upside.  He has Vick like ability with his legs and I think is a better passer already.  Morton's offense will help him get the ball out quick which should help his transition to the pros.  I still prefer Rosen and/or Darnold but I still think he can be a really good pro QB and wouldn't hesitate to take him if Rosen and Darnold are gone. 

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Got to hope Darold and Rosen come out and Jackson falls in our laps.  Like Watson some teams are going to hesitate to pull the trigger and he could be a pleasant surprise that falls into our laps.  Say what you want about the offense he's in and his ability to read defenses but he has big time upside.  He has Vick like ability with his legs and I think is a better passer already.  Morton's offense will help him get the ball out quick which should help his transition to the pros.  I still prefer Rosen and/or Darnold but I still think he can be a really good pro QB and wouldn't hesitate to take him if Rosen and Darnold are gone. 

Id rather just go else where in round one then.

First time posting in a while.

1. I'll say I'll take the L on thinking we'd be God awful this year. Really expected a 1-3 win team. Didn't think we had good enough coaching to overcome lack of talent. Boy was I wrong. I still think Bowles is terrible as an in game coach and not our future HC.

2. I screamed, kicked, and cried for Watson last year in the draft threads and was repeatedly told that we'd be reaching at pick 6 and that I was a fool in my mocks. While I'm not here to toot my horn as I admitted my mistake this season, I will say LAMAR JACKSON is our chance to get a QB.

Signing Cousins for 25 million would be atrocious. He's 30 and we're far away from truly contending. You win by spending at other positions and having a young QB in the first 3-4 years on rookie scale. 

Lamar Jackson is literally Vick 2.0. His improvements as a passer this year have been so encouraging man. He's going to be a top 15-20 pick and I think he'll come out since the Cards are a bad team. Rosen and Darnold if he comes out are going to go ahead of us. Mayfield really reminds me of a smaller Mark Sanchez. Allen reminds me of Hackenberg. No more bandaids. Go all in on Lamar Jackson. Bring McCown back for a year if you have to have some competition.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Right now, only lee is on the hook for 2 or 3 years more. It shouldn't be neglected.

ILB replacing RB because Maccagnan, Bowles and Morton don't prioritize RB/TE urgently. Look at what happened to Adrian Peterson in Saints offense.  I can't imagine Jets draft RB that high and not utilize him properly.    Ah... Steelers have a habit of drafting LB almost annually.

Macc has rated that hes going to Draft and OLB/Edge every year like the Steelers...and he's has done just that. AP I don't  think is a good argument here as I personally think he's washed while Ingram and Kamara have shunned in that offense this year(former 1st and 3rd). I think we have genuine interest in the RB position, I remember hearing we were interested in Gurley and McCaffrey when they we coming out and we reportedly almost traded up to get Kamara.

47 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Id rather just go else where in round one then.

It's certainly an option and I wouldn't lock in a QB no matter what but we likely are out of range without a trade up for Rosen/Darnold which means Jackson is the likely next best QB option.  I personally would take him but he certainly doesn't come without risks.

Archived