2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

21 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Using FA to grab a QB is stupid. Alex Smith will be 34. The team is rebuilding still. No more bandaids. Cousins is starring at 25 million. No thanks. And btw, Brees isn't leaving the playoff bound Saints. Try again.

I wish more fans on here realized this 

lol not a quality post.

He couldn't "beat out" Fitz because it was never a competition. Bowles handed him the job. If you wanna go down this rabbit hole again.. in year 1 of Fitz, the Jets faced the easiest schedule in terms of opponent secondaries in the entire NFL. This is statistically backed up. 

Fitz was poor at his job for over a decade, and swooned an entire fan base and locker room because of 1 season. The locker room choosing Fitz was why this team crumbled. It's not like Fitz was this good QB for his entire career. We let the players run the organization because 'they' wanted Fitz. Geno should've been in at 1-3 after the Seahawks game where he looked abysmal.

Fitz wasn't the starter until Geno got punched in the face so I'm not sure saying handed the job from Bowles is really a great way to put it. I completely agree with the bolded statement, we had a bunch of aging veterans in the last year of their contracts before we could cut them. So yes the leaders in the locker room wanted to go for the playoffs rather than waste their final seasons. Notice how all those players are removed from the team, this is the first year Bowles' players have been able to step into leadership roles and the locker room seems to have been sorted out.

Hackenberg -- all of this is BS. We're going to take a QB next year because the organization knows that they dropped the ball with Hack. We didn't take a QB this year because it would've been unethical and killed by the media if we gave up on Hack that quickly. 

Again I agree with the bolded, but we did not know what we had in Hack last year because the plan was to redshirt him. In hindsight I'm sure we would have taken Watson but at the time of the draft no one could figure out where he fit in. It's not like he was a consensus top 5 pick like a Mariota or Winston. We felt like we had too many holes in this roster to roll the dice on another QB when we already COULD have the QBOTF on the roster. We went through preseason and gave Hack all the snaps to prove he could be the guy and we haven't seen it. IMO it would not have been smart to draft a questionable QB when Adams, a high ceiling/highfloor player at a position of need, was on the board.

22 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

The QB position is much more important than the S position. The Jets would probably be like 6-3 with Watson. I echoed for Watson and was killed on this board for it. 

I don't think anyone would claim a safety is more important than a QB but 5 QB needy teams passed on Watson (Cleveland, San Fran, Chicago, Jacksonville, & Jets) and Cleveland passed on him twice. Now if you believe the staff knew what Hack was prior to the draft AND they knew that Watson would be poised for a ROTY type campaign then I agree Macc should be run out of town because that would be inexcusable.

22 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Using FA to grab a QB is stupid. Alex Smith will be 34. The team is rebuilding still. No more bandaids. Cousins is starring at 25 million. No thanks. And btw, Brees isn't leaving the playoff bound Saints. Try again.

I see no reason why signing Alex Smith and drafting a QB in round 1 would be a bad move. Cousins has proven to be a top 5 QB the last 3 years, if we have an opportunity to get him we'd be silly not to especially since we don't have any big contracts coming up soon. As for Drew Brees not leaving the Saints, I don't think he wants to leave but he is hitting their cap for $16M next season without a contract. Meaning if they want to pay him $15M for next year (What Glennon got this year) he'd account for $31M against their cap. So unless you think Brees decides to take an enormous pay cut he is going to be a FA.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I wish more fans on here realized this 

If you sign Alex Smith you'd still be drafting a QB in the first or second round, it would just allow you to stick to your big board or potentially prevent a team from jumping in front of us in the draft.

I'm surprised you wouldn't want a top QB for $25M per season, Cousins is throwing up those stats with his entire team injured.

How much money do you think Brees is willing to take to stay with the Saints?

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

If you sign Alex Smith you'd still be drafting a QB in the first or second round, it would just allow you to stick to your big board or potentially prevent a team from jumping in front of us in the draft.

I'm surprised you wouldn't want a top QB for $25M per season, Cousins is throwing up those stats with his entire team injured.

How much money do you think Brees is willing to take to stay with the Saints?

1) we are rebuilding. There’s no point to bringing in Alex Smith. Josh McCown can handle the role just fine. He will not come here and be an upgrade. Let someone else overpay him. 

2) No, I don’t want Kirk Cousins for the money he can get. What makes you think the results here would be any different than in Washington? You need to look past his stats. Sign him and the Jets are not going to be looking at drafting a QB. We need to draft a guy early soon, not commit a ton of cap to Cousins. 

3) Drew Brees is staying in New Orleans, not worth discussing. He’s not going to chase the money especially if they make any kind of playoff run this year.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

1) we are rebuilding. There’s no point to bringing in Alex Smith. Josh McCown can handle the role just fine. He will not come here and be an upgrade. Let someone else overpay him. Agreed, I'd rather McCown

2) No, I don’t want Kirk Cousins for the money he can get. What makes you think the results here would be any different than in Washington? You need to look past his stats. Who would you sign with that money though? We are going to have $50M after we resign our guys.

3) Drew Brees is staying in New Orleans, not worth discussing. He’s not going to chase the money especially if they make any kind of playoff run this year. I don't think you understand Brees' contract. He is a FA after this year and the Saints have him on the books for $16M so assuming he wants to make at least what say Mike Glennon made this past season $15M (21st highest paid QB), that means his cap hit for the Saints is $31M

Depends on McCown really. He's basically our Tommy Maddox until we get our version of big ben. If he finishes this season strong, I wouldn't be mad at the idea of bringing him back and drafting our QB.  I'm interested in McCown/Josh Allen going into next season unless we can trade up. 

9 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

3) Drew Brees is staying in New Orleans, not worth discussing. He’s not going to chase the money especially if they make any kind of playoff run this year. I don't think you understand Brees' contract. He is a FA after this year and the Saints have him on the books for $16M so assuming he wants to make at least what say Mike Glennon made this past season $15M (21st highest paid QB), that means his cap hit for the Saints is $31M

If Brees signs with NO only 6 of the 18m is charged against the cap, the remaining 12m is spread over 19 and 20 or all 12 m in 2019 if he leaves NO after the 2018 season. NO didn’t draft a QB and  are a playoff contender this year with 6 rookies and a few 2nd year draftees playing well, I don’t think they plan on turning the team over to Chase Daniels or a  late first round rookie

https://overthecap.com/player/drew-brees/1492/

9 hours ago, Rich51 said:

If Brees signs with NO only 6 of the 18m is charged against the cap, the remaining 12m is spread over 19 and 20 or all 12 m in 2019 if he leaves NO after the 2018 season. NO didn’t draft a QB and  are a playoff contender this year with 6 rookies and a few 2nd year draftees playing well, I don’t think they plan on turning the team over to Chase Daniels or a  late first round rookie

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/26760/drew-brees-allegiance-to-saints-takes-suspense-out-of-extension-talk

I was wrong they are on the hook for $18M next year not $16M

9 hours ago, Rich51 said:

You also realize that the link you posted justifies what I'm telling you, look at the base salary for 2018 and beyond.

42 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

You also realize that the link you posted justifies what I'm telling you, look at the base salary for 2018 and beyond.

As I understand it, if NO voids the contract they are hit with the 18m in 2018, however if they agree to terms, only 6m is applied in 2018.

Archived