2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

7 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I apologize I believe Bobby was the one pounding the table for a WR in round 1. Amari Cooper was selected before we picked he wasn't an option for us, I would have loved to have him that year. And for what it's worth Smith played in 10 games his rookie year and averaged 12.8 YPC (the same as Decker) with noodle arm Fitz at QB. It's a shame his career was derailed by injury because he never had a QB that could get him the ball deep.

Another guy I liked was Sammy Watkins, he single handed knock is out of the playoffs, and yet he is a LA Ram now. The Bills for one reason or another lost both Watkins & Robert Woods to the Rams, and they are tearing up the league now. When the Bills played us a couple of weeks ago they had only one WR, and he was just so so.  I am no big fan 0f the Bills  QB Taylor. I hate a QB who is looking to run first, a scrambling QB like Rodgers & Fran Tarkenton, are different both could run down field but they scramble to get in position to pass. If you never saw Tarkenton, play the similarity between him and Rodgers is uncanny. You also could add John Elway in that class. You right Cooper was taken before us but I was not surprise. I never thought that Goff, and Wentz, would be as good as they are, so quick in there career. The point is these pro scouts that make up their mock drafts know that they are talking about, not like those BUFFOON AT ESPN.

I wanted Cooper as well but I think we dodged a built by him not falling to us.  He is insanely streaky and is consistently among the league leaders in dropped passes.  No thanks for a top 5 pick.  He's been a solid WR, but no where near his draft position.  He's been a 2nd round player at best.

We need to start finding talent at the core positions.  QB, CB, pass rusher, LT.  IF our 1st 3 picks this year aren't from those positions I'll be disappointed in Mac.  Until we shore up those areas we aren't going anywhere.

Absolutely I wanted Cooper in that draft. At the time we had Mo and Sheldon already at DE. I wanted Beasley as well (who led the NFL in sacks last season) who would’ve answered our edge rusher need. I did like Kevin White that draft. Injuries have killed his career. And you can’t predict that. Talent wise he was completely deserving of the spot we were drafting (he got drafted the next pick) I also loved Gurley. He’s doing pretty good too. Leo was a luxury pick. And I still don’t like that draft pick. Not bc he’s not good. But bc there were several others good players that this team needed that were available then. We did not need Leo.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely I wanted Cooper in that draft. At the time we had Mo and Sheldon already at DE. I wanted Beasley as well (who led the NFL in sacks last season) who would’ve answered our edge rusher need. I did like Kevin White that draft. Injuries have killed his career. And you can’t predict that. Talent wise he was completely deserving of the spot we were drafting (he got drafted the next pick) I also loved Gurley. He’s doing pretty good too. Leo was a luxury pick. And I still don’t like that draft pick. Not bc he’s not good. But bc there were several others good players that this team needed that were available then. We did not need Leo.

As great as a run stopper Williams is you are right it was almost a forced luxury pick. If we didn't pick Williams we would still have Snacks. Even Doumeyer can't blame Mac for that pick. The guy I wanted this year in the second round was Dalvin Cook in less than three games he had over 350 yard rushing, and a great passer receiver, he is a young

Matt Forte. To bad he got hurt, but his rehab is going great. So we pick Maye who has been outstanding, he always seems to be is the right place at the right time. He had a couple of boo boos in the Tampa game, who doesn't, but he is the real deal.

There’s been reports that the Jets “love” Josh Allen... and I believe them, despite who’s been reporting it. 

Maccagnan seems to prefer taking risks on talent and leaving it to the coaches to ready them for the NFL than drafting a player who’s maybe less talented but more “pro-ready”

As far as my personal assessment: I don’t know how I feel about Allen. I do see that he’s constantly throwing into tight windows, has Pat Mahomes-like ability playing outside of structure, and has all the tools. That said, he should be playing better than he is given his talent level and the division. 

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

There’s been reports that the Jets “love” Josh Allen... and I believe them, despite who’s been reporting it. 

Maccagnan seems to prefer taking risks on talent and leaving it to the coaches to ready them for the NFL than drafting a player who’s maybe less talented but more “pro-ready”

As far as my personal assessment: I don’t know how I feel about Allen. I do see that he’s constantly throwing into tight windows, has Pat Mahomes-like ability playing outside of structure, and has all the tools. That said, he should be playing better than he is given his talent level and the division. 

I think he’s just not good. 56% competition percentage. Barely over a TD a game. All while playing against very weak competition. And that’s the biggest part. If he’s “that” good, he should be lighting up weak competition. I wouldn’t even think about him until Round 3. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he’s just not good. 56% competition percentage. Barely over a TD a game. All while playing against very weak competition. And that’s the biggest part. If he’s “that” good, he should be lighting up weak competition. I wouldn’t even think about him until Round 3. 

I have to be fair here. His team is absolutely terrible. 

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

By lighting up, do you actually expect Allen to have 500 TDs on only 28 throws?  Wyoming is a type of team that controls time of possession. Lower your expecation on him.

His accuracy is terrible, I agree.  He is too darn wild. He tried to beat coverage too much. He will need to slow down and be calm before making all throws. His pocket awareness and footwork are solid enough to survive in NFL.  I watched him play in freezing condition against Air Force and he looked good before knee injury.  He can beat out Hackenberg and Petty.  The key word is can and it is all that matters.

23 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I have to be fair here. His team is absolutely terrible. 

7-3 is terrible?  Really?   The team is just not enough talents to match power 5 teams.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

As great as a run stopper Williams is you are right it was almost a forced luxury pick. If we didn't pick Williams we would still have Snacks. Even Doumeyer can't blame Mac for that pick. The guy I wanted this year in the second round was Dalvin Cook in less than three games he had over 350 yard rushing, and a great passer receiver, he is a young

Matt Forte. To bad he got hurt, but his rehab is going great. So we pick Maye who has been outstanding, he always seems to be is the right place at the right time. He had a couple of boo boos in the Tampa game, who doesn't, but he is the real deal.

False if we didn't have Williams we would still Have Sheldon, Wilk is the one that forced us to pull out from keeping Snacks. Wilk was coming off All-Pro Caliber seasons and played the more important position and role, plus Snacks only played a little over 50% of the snaps on defense.

My take on Allen is he has a ton of talent and a ton of risk. Has the best deep ball in the class with a hell of an arm but his decision making has me weary of him. If Morton and Bates could fix that up he may end up being a solid QB but imo decision making is the hardest thing to fix

7 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

False if we didn't have Williams we would still Have Sheldon, Wilk is the one that forced us to pull out from keeping Snacks. Wilk was coming off All-Pro Caliber seasons and played the more important position and role, plus Snacks only played a little over 50% of the snaps on defense.

I actually think taking Williams was a mistake because Maccagnan expected to trade away the franchised broken leg DE.  Wikerson ended up signing the new contract at last minute.  It was a rookie mistake made by him.  Now, he is lucky to have only Wilkerson and Williams.

6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

My take on Allen is he has a ton of talent and a ton of risk. Has the best deep ball in the class with a hell of an arm but his decision making has me weary of him. If Morton and Bates could fix that up he may end up being a solid QB but imo decision making is the hardest thing to fix

Yeah... I try to find any qb with below 60% completion to have a solid pro career.  So far, no luck.  You know anyone?

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I actually think taking Williams was a mistake because Maccagnan expected to trade away the franchised broken leg DE.  Wikerson ended up signing the new contract at last minute.  It was a rookie mistake made by him.  Now, he is lucky to have only Wilkerson and Williams.

Not arguing that, would have been much better to add Vic Beasley instead who would have given us our Edge rusher to go with Sheldon and Wilk. More so that Williams isn't the reason we let Snacks walk.

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I wanted Cooper as well but I think we dodged a built by him not falling to us.  He is insanely streaky and is consistently among the league leaders in dropped passes.  No thanks for a top 5 pick.  He's been a solid WR, but no where near his draft position.  He's been a 2nd round player at best.

We need to start finding talent at the core positions.  QB, CB, pass rusher, LT.  IF our 1st 3 picks this year aren't from those positions I'll be disappointed in Mac.  Until we shore up those areas we aren't going anywhere.

Left tackle has been just fine this season. Beachum has been solid. Could we use a project LT behind him? Sure, not a high priority imho. Ditto Claiborne. If we can re-sign him, I don't think we need to spend an early pick on a CB. Also, if Claiborne leaves I wouldn't be surprised if Maccagnan kicked the tires on Richard Sherman again. I think it was Mike Garofalo who reported last weekend that the Jets were talking about Sherman when the Richardson trade went down. We wound up getting Kearse and a 2nd instead, but maybe the interest in Sherman will remain. He could be a buy-low candidate coming off his Achilles'  injury. I totally agree on quarterback and edge rusher as the team main areas of need, though I also think we need another young RB.

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

There is plenty of time for the Jets to ' love' several other college QB's between now and the draft. Chances are, the first guy they fall for is not the last guy they fall for.

I'm just glad the first guy isn't Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield. I hope one of those two guys winds up being the last guy they fall for.

Archived