2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Another loaded RB class. We better not wait till the late rounds to grab 1. Round 2 or 3 is where we should address RB.

Chris Carson was a guy a mocked to us several times last year and he looks like a true three down back before the injury.  Carson was taken in the what 5th or 6th.  McGuire looks like a very good rotational RB and he was taken in a late rounds as well.  I prefer the 3rd/4th/5th to grab another RB.  They are a dime a dozen and with pass rusher, QB, C, LT etc being far more pressing we should wait.  Another mid round or late round guy with McGuire will give us a good 1-2 punch to build around which is the smart way to go.  

On 11/4/2017 at 1:00 PM, Bobby816 said:

I’d take Bridgewater as a FA over Jackson in the draft.

Why not both?  Bridgewater, McCown, Hack, Jackson all in camp next year battling seems like a really good mix.  McCown unlike Fitz before him has proven to be an eager teacher on how to be a professional.  Bridgewater gets a chance to show if he can bounce back, Hack has another year under his belt (and basically a last chance) to see if he can win the job and Jackson can be brought along slowly unless he goes out and wins the job.  

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why not both?  Bridgewater, McCown, Hack, Jackson all in camp next year battling seems like a really good mix.  McCown unlike Fitz before him has proven to be an eager teacher on how to be a professional.  Bridgewater gets a chance to show if he can bounce back, Hack has another year under his belt (and basically a last chance) to see if he can win the job and Jackson can be brought along slowly unless he goes out and wins the job.  

Same here. Agree on RB as well. Not in round 1, i hate first round RBs unless your getting a Gurley or Fournette. I dont put Barkley in that class just yet. Both games PSU lost Barkley wasnt a difference maker. 

7 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Same here. Agree on RB as well. Not in round 1, i hate first round RBs unless your getting a Gurley or Fournette. I dont put Barkley in that class just yet. Both games PSU lost Barkley wasnt a difference maker. 

I think Barkley is that good but still have a hard time pulling the trigger top 5 for a RB.  That PSU O-line isn't great at all.

If we aren't going QB round 1 it should be for a stud pass rusher or can't miss LT not a RB.  I think RB is a bigger need than WR so don't think I want to ignore the position but I just think we can a good back in the mid rounds when the LT's and DE's are harder to find.  I mean I think Sony Michell is going to be really good and he will probably be a 3rd rounder.  I like Martez Carter a lot and think he can compliment McGuire nicely and he may be there in the 5th/6th.   

48 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Both games PSU lost Barkley wasnt a difference maker. 

I think you sort of countered your own point here. They lost because they have nothing other than him. Games where a team sells all out to stop him and succeed win those games. He's a dominant player, you just can't carry a team every single week.

Fournette had plenty of weeks where he disappeared in college. When you're the only focal point of an offense, sometimes that happens.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:04 PM, Jlash said:

I think you sort of countered your own point here. They lost because they have nothing other than him. Games where a team sells all out to stop him and succeed win those games. He's a dominant player, you just can't carry a team every single week.

Fournette had plenty of weeks where he disappeared in college. When you're the only focal point of an offense, sometimes that happens.

You might be right. I like the kid and I heard hes a high character kid too. Still dont like Rb that high but well have to wait and see come draft time.  Going to certainly be a very exciting off-season. 

Just like Fournette last year, I would have no issue if we took the plunge with Barkley in this year's draft. You make exceptions for greatness.

On 06/11/2017 at 9:55 AM, Rockice_8 said:

To me, this would be a best-case scenario. Although, if we were able to land Bridgewater and Jackson, and we were able to re-sign McCown on the cheap, then we really have no use for Hackenberg (not that we really have any use for him now).

I like Bridgewater, and I love Jackson. So, put me down.

McCown while playing good, should not be in this franchises plan long term. We already did this with Fitz. No sense of Doing it all again to set the franchise back another 2 years. Unless we’re in a playoff race (which I find unlikely down the stretch) we should go to Hack at least for 2 games or more. We just are a franchise that can’t get it right. The Giants have a potentially HOF QB and are talking about benching him to see what they have with Webb before the draft. Yet we are reluctant to do that with a vet that’s played for what 9 teams that’s never really done anything in his career. I like mccown, but you do have to see what you have with Hack before the offseason. In meaningful games not preseason games. Running with starters and all. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

McCown while playing good, should not be in this franchises plan long term. We already did this with Fitz. No sense of Doing it all again to set the franchise back another 2 years. Unless we’re in a playoff race (which I find unlikely down the stretch) we should go to Hack at least for 2 games or more. We just are a franchise that can’t get it right. The Giants have a potentially HOF QB and are talking about benching him to see what they have with Webb before the draft. Yet we are reluctant to do that with a vet that’s played for what 9 teams that’s never really done anything in his career. I like mccown, but you do have to see what you have with Hack before the offseason. In meaningful games not preseason games. Running with starters and all. 

This notion that keeps getting thrown around about long term plans is laughable.  It cracks me up when people use it because do you honest;y think McCown a 2-3 years deal as a long term option is in the cards for him next year, that's a long term plan.  The idea of potentially bringing him back on another 1 year deal to be a TC body or a mentor does not mean he is part of the long term plan.  We will likely draft a QB next year and Hack will likely be here to compete.  If neither are ready we'll need a vet to manage the offense and McCown could be that guy.  We didn't do anything wrong with Fitz but overpay him.  He was brought back because we won 10 games and just missed the playoffs.  The problem was Geno who couldn't do enough to force the staffs hand to move on from Fitz. 

The Giants are only considering that because they have 1 win and not playing for .500 this week in the playoff hunt.  If the roles were reversed right now Hack would probably be starting this week for us.  We'll eventually get knocked out of the playoffs and Hack will likely get the last few games just be patient.  

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

This notion that keeps getting thrown around about long term plans is laughable.  It cracks me up when people use it because do you honest;y think McCown a 2-3 years deal as a long term option is in the cards for him next year, that's a long term plan.  The idea of potentially bringing him back on another 1 year deal to be a TC body or a mentor does not mean he is part of the long term plan.  We will likely draft a QB next year and Hack will likely be here to compete.  If neither are ready we'll need a vet to manage the offense and McCown could be that guy.  We didn't do anything wrong with Fitz but overpay him.  He was brought back because we won 10 games and just missed the playoffs.  The problem was Geno who couldn't do enough to force the staffs hand to move on from Fitz. 

The Giants are only considering that because they have 1 win and not playing for .500 this week in the playoff hunt.  If the roles were reversed right now Hack would probably be starting this week for us.  We'll eventually get knocked out of the playoffs and Hack will likely get the last few games just be patient.  

The Giants are the luckiest team first they get Eli Manning for 15 years & now they will get one of the top QB's in the draft. As things stand now there are about nine teams that will pick before us, and there is a good chance we could drop to 11 or 12. We are also going to lose Mc Ginchey, and we will end up with another project QB. I am not very optimistic about the 2018 draft. We have a good defensive, and we should after drafting defensive players in the first round for eight straight years. This was our year to get our franchise QB, and we are blowing it by winning a bunch of meaningless games. We still have never given Hack one snap in a regular season game & I don't know what the deal with Petty, both Mac draft picks.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

The Giants are the luckiest team first they get Eli Manning for 15 years & now they will get one of the top QB's in the draft. As things stand now there are about nine teams that will pick before us, and there is a good chance we could drop to 11 or 12. We are also going to lose Mc Ginchey, and we will end up with another project QB. I am not very optimistic about the 2018 draft. We have a good defensive, and we should after drafting defensive players in the first round for eight straight years. This was our year to get our franchise QB, and we are blowing it by winning a bunch of meaningless games. We still have never given Hack one snap in a regular season game & I don't know what the deal with Petty, both Mac draft picks.

Weren't you saying how awful Darnold was playing and now you're worried about the Giants getting him.  They're all project QB's in the this draft, even the Darnold who is not the next Manning/Luck type prospect.   

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Weren't you saying how awful Darnold was playing and now you're worried about the Giants getting him.  They're all project QB's in the this draft, even the Darnold who is not the next Manning/Luck type prospect.   

From what I here the Giants want Rosen. Giants love those pocked passers. They have always had pocket passers their whole history. The only QB the Giants ever had that could move around was the guy from West Virgina a left handed QB Jeff  Hostetier. And you can't make a dumb statement that all the QB in the draft are project, none of us have any idea how any will do in their first year.

Archived