What are the G-Men doing at #2?

Duke5217

The smartest move NYG can make if Darnold is off the board is to trade down with Buffalo and acquire something like 12, 21, 56 and 2019 1st. Then take Lamar Jackson at 12 or trade up a few spots and take him inside the top 10. They can conceivable walk away with Lamar Jackson, 21, 56 and a 2019 round pick for the #2 pick. If they pass that up so they can take a RB Gettelman should be fired on the spot.

1 hour ago, jarren said:

The smartest move NYG can make if Darnold is off the board is to trade down with Buffalo and acquire something like 12, 21, 56 and 2019 1st. Then take Lamar Jackson at 12 or trade up a few spots and take him inside the top 10. They can conceivable walk away with Lamar Jackson, 21, 56 and a 2019 round pick for the #2 pick. If they pass that up so they can take a RB Gettelman should be fired on the spot.

"The smartest move" and "Lamar Jackson" should never be uttered in the same sentence when talking about the New York Giants. If they're conceding that they need to draft a quarterback, why are they going to get the 5th best one? A QB prospect with virtually no polish to his game, not to mention. Lamar Jackson could be good, but there is more evidence to support the contrary than there is to support that. He's got the most to overcome of all of the QB prospects. He's got a crazy high ceiling, but he's also got a crazy low floor.

I'd be fine with the Giants trading down I guess, but it'd be silly for them to grab Lamar Jackson if they're going to let Eli try and throw it to his team again for another season or two. I think they need to bite the bullet and take Rosen (or their BPA QB) at #2. But if they really want to make one more run at a championship, why did they trade JPP & why would they take a complete and utter project at #12?

Your Lamar Jackson scenario holds very little weight as the "smart" thing to do in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

"The smartest move" and "Lamar Jackson" should never be uttered in the same sentence when talking about the New York Giants. If they're conceding that they need to draft a quarterback, why are they going to get the 5th best one? A QB prospect with virtually no polish to his game, not to mention. Lamar Jackson could be good, but there is more evidence to support the contrary than there is to support that. He's got the most to overcome of all of the QB prospects. He's got a crazy high ceiling, but he's also got a crazy low floor.

I'd be fine with the Giants trading down I guess, but it'd be silly for them to grab Lamar Jackson if they're going to let Eli try and throw it to his team again for another season or two. I think they need to bite the bullet and take Rosen (or their BPA QB) at #2. But if they really want to make one more run at a championship, why did they trade JPP & why would they take a complete and utter project at #12?

Your Lamar Jackson scenario holds very little weight as the "smart" thing to do in my opinion.

My scenario basically comes down to how you view Lamar Jackson as a prospect. Now you're entitled to your opinon but I think you're completely wrong about  him. Lamar is alot closer to being the #1 QB in this class than #5. Getting Jackson + 21 + 53/56 + 2019 1st which will almost assuredly be a top 10 pick (especially if the Bills draft and start Allen) is extremely "smart" and would set the Giants up really nicely going foward. 

4 minutes ago, jarren said:

My scenario basically comes down to how you view Lamar Jackson as a prospect. Now you're entitled to your opinon but I think you're completely wrong about  him. Lamar is alot closer to being the #1 QB in this class than #5. Getting Jackson + 21 + 53/56 + 2019 1st which will almost assuredly be a top 10 pick (especially if the Bills draft and start Allen) is extremely "smart" and would set the Giants up really nicely going foward. 

Can you find one other person that agrees with you on the bolded? I don't even think Lamar Jackson, nor his mother, would share that sentiment.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Can you find one other person that agrees with you on the bolded? I don't even think Lamar Jackson, nor his mother, would share that sentiment.

Took me 2 seconds to google Jackson best QB in the draft and come across an article from Chris Simms saying he believes Jackson is the best QB in the draft. 

Personally I rank the QBs in tiers like this:

Darnold

Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson

Allen

The gap between tier 1 and 2 is less than the gap between 2 and 3. 

When it comes to how I view Jacksons success in the leauge I feel that he must be drafted by a team/coach that will build a scheme around him and implement alot of RPO. If so, he'll be a terror and I'd have no problem taking him #1 overall. 

8 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Either a QB, Chubb, or trading down with someone (most likely the Bills. BUF has the best trade package to offer and their GM used to work under Gettlemen).

If their GM stays at 2, turns down a trade down and then selects RB Barkley, he's the worst GM in the nfl lol.

No, actually, if he passes on Barkley he's the worst GM in the nfl lol. 

Gettleman has said "don't get too cute with this". Here's the bottom line: Barkley is #1 on their board. Darnold is probably 2 or 3. If Darnold is there at 2, you take the franchise QB. If not, take the best player on your board. I'm 100% fine with this line of reasoning.

If Darnold is available and the Giants still draft Barkley, I'd still be thrilled, but definitely confused. It would be subjectively a good pick, but objectively bad.

I don't see how.  With Barkley they are IMO immediate SB contenders.  When Manning does finally decline in a year or 3, by that time they can have drafted their QB of the future or do so after Manning retires.  Other QBs of this caliber will always be around.  It's not like any of these guys appear to be the next Peyton or whatever.  RBs like Barkley, however, are much rarer. 

Darnold Schmarnold.  IMO they should, and absolutely will, take Barkley regardless of who else is there.  Go for the ring now while you have the pieces in place.

3 minutes ago, bomont said:

I don't see how.  With Barkley they are IMO immediate SB contenders.  When Manning does finally decline in a year or 3, by that time they can have drafted their QB of the future or do so after Manning retires.  Other QBs of this caliber will always be around.  It's not like any of these guys appear to be the next Peyton or whatever.  RBs like Barkley, however, are much rarer. 

Darnold Schmarnold.  IMO they should, and absolutely will, take Barkley regardless of who else is there.  Go for the ring now while you have the pieces in place.

I don't think our roster is that good to make a run for a ring right now. My opinion on why I like Barkley is simply because he is the best player on the draft. Fill your team with good players and let the coaches figure out how to get them on the field and maximize their talents. Darnold is the one franchise QB in this draft and I think it is foolish to pass on one when you won't have one in 2-3 years. Giants aren't at the "if you don't have one, get one" stage yet, but they are close. Even ironman Eli is at the mercy of time.

25 minutes ago, bomont said:

We are NOT super bowl contenders with Barkley and Manning has already declined to the point where he'd need a stacked roster to do the heavy lifting.

If you believe Eli has a couple years left then Darnold is the perfect pick as it is. I'm tired of management throwing away season after season by refusing to rebuild. How about we try to open a new window instead of desperately trying to jam the old rusty one open?

The Giants have gone through long periods of QB hell and it ain't pretty.

32 minutes ago, bomont said:

The QB who's 37 and had 19 TD's and 18 turnovers last year? That's your SB winning QB? The guy who has averaged 22 turnovers the last 3 seasons?

Eli is past his prime and the Giants are not superbowl contenders, not even close. Eli has 1, maybe 2 more years left so this would be a perfect time to get your new franchise QB and groom him for a year or two.

Next years draft class for QB's is garbage compared to this one imo.

9 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

The QB who's 37 and had 19 TD's and 18 turnovers last year? That's your SB winning QB? The guy who has averaged 22 turnovers the last 3 seasons?

Eli is past his prime and the Giants are not superbowl contenders, not even close. Eli has 1, maybe 2 more years left so this would be a perfect time to get your new franchise QB and groom him for a year or two.

Next years draft class for QB's is garbage compared to this one imo.

To be fair, I don't think Eli is as bad as his last year was. Look at what he was working with- from personnel to coaching. Mcadoo doesn't even have a job this year. His wide receivers were Roger Lewis and Tavarres King. His offensive line went through over 8 different starting lineups and included studs such as Ereck Flowers, Bobby Hart, and Adam Bisnowaty. He's definitely on the decline, but you can't say he is as bad as he was last year. 

It is if the Giants actually think any QBs at two are franchise worthy. And by all accounts, the only one they think is good is Darnold. If the Browns pass on Darnold, then the Giants should take him. If he is gone, just take the top player on your board and call it a day. 

Archived