Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

4 hours ago, duke2056 said:

It would be absurd to throw the rookie in there right away, like we always do, when that is not the optimal way to do things.  THAT is what is absurd.  If it wasn't absurd our actual NFL GM would not have traded for Tyrod Taylor or signed Stanton in the first place.   

There is a Gollum-like obsession with his precious tone to some of these posts about starting Darnold.I

If we do not have to and it makes sense not to, then we don't.

Doesn't mean we couldn't.

Doesn't mean he wasn't worth the pick.

Just means that we are playing for the longer term.

No problem with that at all.

Unless we make the playoffs, our rookie QB WILL play this year.  Who knows how much, but I prefer a few games, maybe 5, games, not 10+ games.  

It's best to be able to play him when we want to play him not when we HAVE to play him.  It really is that simple

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sure? Yes.

Do you need the list of players who’ve done just that and been just fine again? It’s on the last page iirc. It’s not a wild or crazy concept.

Id love nothing more than the rookie getting to sit behind a proven starter all season and being him along slowly, but if a proven starter isn’t an option, I’ll roll with the rookie.  

I would go get another vet.

Ans I think that’s an awful decision.

I think I understand what you meant.

Why?

Does it improve our chance of going to the Super Bowl this year?

Why would he not if he has to be ready to play on Sunday? Any reps he’s taking from a rookie after camp is a waste imo.

This is specious.

Or maybe hyperbolic.

Big deal if he gets some reps to be ready.

6 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Unless we make the playoffs, our rookie QB WILL play this year.  Who knows how much, but I prefer a few games, maybe 5, games, not 10+ games.  

It's best to be able to play him when we want to play him not when we HAVE to play him.  It really is that simple

I think it all depends on where the team is at. If the team is awful, starting him the last 4 games of the year if he is ready. If the team is flirting with 6-8wins you keep Tyrod in. 

What are the negatives of starting a top tier rookie prospect year one? How could it negatively affect him later on? He finds out he doesn't like taking hits? He can't learn the playbook in time?

He will be a rookie there will be rookie mistakes, still should be really good and show a lot of promise. Sitting him just delays how soon he gets past those rookie mistakes. I'd still start him day 1 over Taylor if he earns it, whoever it is. This isn't Kizer, a lower rated QB prospect this is a top notch prospect.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

What are the negatives of starting a top tier rookie prospect year one? How could it negatively affect him later on? He finds out he doesn't like taking hits? He can't learn the playbook in time?

He will be a rookie there will be rookie mistakes, still should be really good and show a lot of promise. Sitting him just delays how soon he gets past those rookie mistakes. I'd still start him day 1 over Taylor if he earns it, whoever it is. This isn't Kizer, a lower rated QB prospect this is a top notch prospect.

Depends when the staff thinks he is ready to play.  Rather not put him in too soon and have him learn a bunch of bad habits.  Mistakes are fine and he will learn, but forminf bad habits would be a problem.

47 minutes ago, bruceb said:

This entirely changes the discussion.

Well it is certainly possible. I like Taylor and he has way outperformed his status as a prospect but the top 3 guys in this class would be top 3 guys in pretty much any class. Mayfield is probably the least likely to be top 3 of these three but that is only because he had no hype (or scholarship) entering his college career imo. He still has the least hype as a prospect of the three even though he probably has the best arm talent and accuracy while probably being the most intelligent on a football field regarding football so he is probably the most ready to start and has just as high of an upside as any of them even at just under 6' 1. So if any of those 3 are the pick there is a chance they could beat out Taylor, who is the same height as Mayfield.

7 hours ago, bruceb said:

I think I understand what you meant.

Why?

Does it improve our chance of going to the Super Bowl this year?

I would hope so, it wasn’t difficult to understand.  

Why? Becasuse sitting a player for no other reason than to sit them is dumb.  If they’re behind an established, quality player that’s one thing, but any old bum?  Lol no.

What does the super bowl have to do with anything?  If something doesn’t improve our odds of winning the super bowl this year we shouldn’t do it?  Is that your take?  If so, it’s a bad one.

7 hours ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Maybe we can give Tim Couch or David Carr a call and see what they have to say?

So because 2 QB’s failed starting for an expansion team, no other team should ever start a rookie QB or they’ll be ruined?

Is that what we have, an expansion roster?

I do think signing Stanton could indicate a concentration to not play a rookie a full season. At least for the coaching staff (not that I care what they think). Hue CONSTANTLY talks about the team’s lack of success with rookie QBs the past two years. Dude doesn’t want to play a rookie. The common denominator to me is the HC as much as QB. I wonder if they are mostly settled on Darnold though. A guy like Mayfield or Rosen would seem more ready to play day 1. I can see Stanton merely as a great locker/QB room guy and an early season guy if Tyrod suffers a bad injury. For instance, Tyrod goes down week 1, I don’t think they want Darnold playing a full year. If they go with a new guy 10 weeks in though, I don’t see how it’s likely not the rookie.

Archived