Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So that’s your expectation this year, eh? Let me go ahead and save you 3 hours every Sunday this fall and let you know that won’t be happening for the Browns.

Speaking of winning Super Bowls, who are these Super Bowl winning QB’s who sat behind a turd comparable to Stanton or whatever other QB you mentioned signing off the shtheap of free agent QB’s?

TBF, Drew Stanton was on the team when Stafford helped turn around the Lions and was on the team when Luck was on the colts so maybe he is the best #1 overall mentor out there

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree with that.

I also don’t know if sitting him will matter much, as he’s not shown really at any point to be good. 

i also agree with that but kyle boller ended up being a 1st round pick.  qbs will always be drafted if they got a big ol arm, thanks to egos of coaches thinking they can turn that project into john elway

6 minutes ago, matt27j said:

You sit him cuz this is the Browns. It's like driving into a storm but there's no gas stations. Tyrod has proven himself. That should be enough motivation for players to do better than their best so far.

No one is talking about starting him over Tyrod.

Ok serious question here, leaving all stats aside, because they are just that, stats.  Someone convince me, based purely on film, that Darnold is a better QB prospect for the NFL game than Allen.  Point out things like arm strength, mobility, mechanics, pocket presence, etc.  Real world factors.  None of this "but he completed X% and Allen completed X%".  Go.

5 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Ok serious question here, leaving all stats aside, because they are just that, stats.  Someone convince me, based purely on film, that Darnold is a better QB prospect for the NFL game than Allen.  Point out things like arm strength, mobility, mechanics, pocket presence, etc.  Real world factors.  None of this "but he completed X% and Allen completed X%".  Go.

Watch the film? If you do, you'll notice that Darnold tends to complete more of his passes than Allen. But that's just film.

1 minute ago, Don Roshi said:

Watch the film? If you do, you'll notice that Darnold tends to complete more of his passes than Allen. But that's just film.

Could that be a symptom of coaching, more conservative choices on the field, system, competition?  I am talking about tangibles, show me something on the field.  Like I said, not stats, which your argument is, purely statistical without mentioning a number.  Show me why his arm is better, show me why his mechanics are better, show me how his mobility is better.

15 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Could that be a symptom of coaching, more conservative choices on the field, system, competition?  I am talking about tangibles, show me something on the field.  Like I said, not stats, which your argument is, purely statistical without mentioning a number.  Show me why his arm is better, show me why his mechanics are better, show me how his mobility is better.

Some nice highlights and lowlights of Allen. You may want to squint your eyes when some stats come up.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It would be. Like getting a new 4WD but keeping it parked in the garage all winter, even if your Honda Accord breaks down you rely on your old rear wheel drive Chevy Nova to get you through the foot of snow. Can't risk what could happen to the 4WD even though the results should be a lot better than the other options.

I put the anal in analogy.

Depends is there a learning curve for that 4WD? Because that’s the idea of sitting a rookie QB because of the learning curve from college to the NFL.  Is the pavement different from the car lot compared to the pavement on the road. If there would be a seamless transition from college to the NFL for QBs, no one would sit

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Depends is there a learning curve for that 4WD? Because that’s the idea of sitting a rookie QB because of the learning curve from college to the NFL.  Is the pavement different from the car lot compared to the pavement on the road. If there would be a seamless transition from college to the NFL for QBs, no one would sit

Do 4WD vehicles have a difficult time driving on different types of pavement now?

@Thomas5737 may but the anal in analogy, but this analogy is a pile of ?. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No one is talking about starting him over Tyrod.

Not yet...

You do highlight the need to create as much distance from a QB battle as possible. If they say he isn't playing and is behind Stanton no common masses are going to stir up a QB battle between Tyrod and the rookie. 

Now the reality is that if Tyrod gets a serious injury after a couple of games of Stanton you'd likely see the rookie. Hopefully they can at least make it to week 8 this season. If Tyrod just struggles though hopefully they stick with him til things get on track.

53 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Haven't watched too much Allen, but didn't see the same touch yet, nor pocket presence, and ability to consistently keep throws inbounds downfield sidelines. Think he is basically an equal prospect due to his traits but would fit best in a run oriented offense. Like the Bills. Perhaps an offense like the Panthers. 

See with Allen I think you gotta be a little creative to maximize his talents. Of course you want to throw it downfield with him and do some RPOs but everyone knowing that I think you could have some great changeups on offense with rub drags and screens. Say you run a pa and D is worried bout gettin back cuz he can laser it right over their heads. Meantime they forget about a TE or wr draggin and it becomes an easy big gainer.

Archived