Jaguars acquire Cody Kessler

.Buzz

I am totally fine with this.

Get a good look at him in mini camp and training camp, if he’s worthy of being the backup, you get a cheap backup who has two years left on his deal. 

If they don’t like what they see, they can get rid of him without losing any compensation. 

We got a 2019 7th round pick for Bowanko. So we have two 7th’s right now. At the end of the day, it could be one if we keep Cody or back to two if it doesn’t work out. 

I’m not sure if this will change our plans at 29. It makes me lean towards OL now but who knows.

21 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Conditional 2019 pick, probably related to roster status.

This is fine and keeps them from reaching for a QB unless it’s the right fit.

Yeah.  Kidding aside, i don't see much wrong with this.  Kessler is a noodle armed game manager at best, but doesn't look like they're giving up anything of substance for him, and he's an easy cut if he ends up not needed.  He should be a fine clipboard holder and camp arm at worst.  Though i'm not sure they'll actually want to roster 3 QBs all year, or that Kessler is actually anything like the strong backup option you'd ideally want behind Bortles if they have to take over at some point.

Basically the same thing they've done at some other positions.  A little bit of insurance in case they somehow completely strike out on the position in the draft.

Hopefully keeps them from reaching on the position at least.

36 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Kidding aside, i don't see much wrong with this.  Kessler is a noodle armed game manager at best, but doesn't look like they're giving up anything of substance for him, and he's an easy cut if he ends up not needed.  He should be a fine clipboard holder and camp arm at worst.  Though i'm not sure they'll actually want to roster 3 QBs all year, or that Kessler is actually anything like the strong backup option you'd ideally want behind Bortles if they have to take over at some point.

Basically the same thing they've done at some other positions.  A little bit of insurance in case they somehow completely strike out on the position in the draft.

Hopefully keeps them from reaching on the position at least.

It's basically insurance, but the real crappy one where you hold for 2 hours waiting to get a hold of an agent, and then you don't actually get anything out of it for months.

If you think defenses crowd the box with Bortles, imagine their fear when noodle arm Kessler is at QB. This is basically one of those moves that if we strike out on QB at the draft that we have someone to put in there and throw a few passes while letting our run game and defense do the work.

He'll get us by for 1 or 2 games if the team plays lights out.

But in no way shape or form should this affect our draft strategy if a QB is there.

18 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

It's basically insurance, but the real crappy one where you hold for 2 hours waiting to get a hold of an agent, and then you don't actually get anything out of it for months.

If you think defenses crowd the box with Bortles, imagine their fear when noodle arm Kessler is at QB. This is basically one of those moves that if we strike out on QB at the draft that we have someone to put in there and throw a few passes while letting our run game and defense do the work.

He'll get us by for 1 or 2 games if the team plays lights out.

But in no way shape or form should this affect our draft strategy if a QB is there.

Yeah.  It's not particularly good insurance, and it's hopefully not a "backup situation is sorted" type move.  Frankly, i'd be just as confident with signing a guy like Austin Davis if it comes down to it, rather than giving up a pick for Kessler.  But i'm not going to cry about a conditional 7th a year from now.  xD

I think it does give insurance against a panic move to get a guy who is ready to backup Bortles from the first day of camp though, at least.  Can relax and draft a guy who might need to sit inactive as a 3rd stringer for a while if they're more of an "upside" project that's going to need a bit more time to get up to speed.  

Plus, insurance against needing to grab a guy in the draft just for the sake of having a 2nd QB.  I mean, Kessler is basically a less "mystery box" version of what a guy like Kyle Lauletta probably best case turns out as.  With some NFL experience under his belt already.  From where i'm sitting, i've only watched 11 "draftable" looking QBs...maybe 12 if you squint really hard out of desperation.  It's a solid number, but at least half will be gone in the first round, and there's still no guarantee the guys you like aren't going to get snatched up just ahead of you in various rounds later on.

Which is where getting Kessler could be decent insurance against getting an itchy trigger finger on a mid-round guy.  Say, hypothetically they've got a 3rd round value on QBs X and Y that they're targeting.  Knowing that they at least have a fallback plan (however lackluster it is)...might mean that they don't get nervous and pull the trigger on one of them with our 2nd rounder for instance, or trying to trade way up in the round to ensure they can grab them.  Can just sit back and see if the "value" falls to them a bit more at the back end of the 3rd.

I don't think it really changes anything in terms of, if a guy they like is there in the 1st round.  Beyond that however, i think it hopefully at least gives them enough of a safety net to not get totally overzealous on a mid-round guy.  Aside from potentially drafting a mid-round guy like Rudolph in the 1st of course.  ;)

Hey guys - lifelong Browns fan here (since 1965). Reviewing honestly the 2016 season, I thought I saw that Kessler would never be your franchise guy, but it seemed like he had the making of a 10 year  solid NFL backup.

Then 2017 happened - I was shocked. He was named the starter to open training camp. All he did all year long was regress. To the point that it was painful to watch him on the field. A couple of times the camera caught him in a deer in the headlights look.

I think the Browns did Cody a favor. He never was going to get another shot in Cleveland, so they sent him to a team with a solid offense and better defense. Take the pressure off of him having to be "The Man" and see if he develops. Low risk move for the Jags.

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Hey guys - lifelong Browns fan here (since 1965). Reviewing honestly the 2016 season, I thought I saw that Kessler would never be your franchise guy, but it seemed like he had the making of a 10 year  solid NFL backup.

Then 2017 happened - I was shocked. He was named the starter to open training camp. All he did all year long was regress. To the point that it was painful to watch him on the field. A couple of times the camera caught him in a deer in the headlights look.

I think the Browns did Cody a favor. He never was going to get another shot in Cleveland, so they sent him to a team with a solid offense and better defense. Take the pressure off of him having to be "The Man" and see if he develops. Low risk move for the Jags.

Yeah.  It should be about as good a place as any to try to get his confidence back on track.  Won't be asked to start or stand in the spotlight, and won't be asked to carry an offense even if he does have to play.  All set up to just hand the ball off a bunch and convert some 3rd and shorts.

Sometimes when a situation turns sour like that, it really is just best for everyone to move on.  I mean, if i had to start a backup guy for a few games to keep a team in it...i'd probably go with current-day Blaine Gabbert over Kessler in a vacuum.  But there are some very good reasons that would be an idiotic thing to do.  :P  Though i can't imagine the Kessler in Cleveland situation is quite that bad...he did get sat for Kizer to go winless for an entire year.  That's gotta hurt...

Archived