2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

Whats funny is, the one negative with him was supposed to be he didnt have as much raw power as some of these other guys...

Superstar iyam

Many scouts pegged him for 25+ homeruns annually, especially in the current iteration of the MLB. Those saying that he would only hit 10-15 homeruns a year were always clueless.

Note that I didn't say he's a superstar because he'll inevitably fall back to Earth a bit, but HRs are HRs.

14 hours ago, mission27 said:

Whats funny is, the one negative with him was supposed to be he didnt have as much raw power as some of these other guys...

Superstar iyam

Zero plus tools was the "knock" on Torres, along with the fact that he wasn't going to stick at SS.  The hit tool was thought to be plus, but then he started having issues in the minors with better breaking stuff and most scouts dropped the hit tool to above average/borderline plus.  But above average on most tools and zero below average tools is still a very nice player.   

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Speaking of the Yankees, since they never get any discussion in here, what the actual hell happened to Didi the past month?  Is he hurt?  -28 (yes, negative) wRC+ since April 28th.

Don’t think he’s hurt, “just” a massive slump. It’s been brutal.

Gleyber is so freaking good... All his HR are crushed. He needs to be the lead off guy. Gives power, awesome batting average, good on base percentage, speed and energy

And Judge just absolutely smoked one... What a bomb. I'm guessing hardest HR hit all year.

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Speaking of the Yankees, since they never get any discussion in here, what the actual hell happened to Didi the past month?  Is he hurt?  -28 (yes, negative) wRC+ since April 28th.

All pitchers just found a weakness.... Started pounding him away. He hit a HR tonight but catcher set up outside but pitch missed was way inside and Didi took care of it. He is gonna have to adjust a little now that teams focused on pitching to him.

Zero plus tools was the "knock" on Torres, along with the fact that he wasn't going to stick at SS.  The hit tool was thought to be plus, but then he started having issues in the minors with better breaking stuff and most scouts dropped the hit tool to above average/borderline plus.  But above average on most tools and zero below average tools is still a very nice player.   

All the major publications pegged him a Top 10 prospect after his first AFL stint with the Yankees. The guys who were lowest on Torres (Jed Lowrie caliber) were um...on this board.

IMO you guys were trying to peg him as a low-ceiling type because of his average athleticism (and as a foil Jimenez), but everything I read raved about his superlative baseball instincts, quick hands, and professional ABs. I admit that some guys were split on the power and hit-tool a couple years ago.

13 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Many scouts pegged him for 25+ homeruns annually, especially in the current iteration of the MLB. Those saying that he would only hit 10-15 homeruns a year were always clueless.

Note that I didn't say he's a superstar because he'll inevitably fall back to Earth a bit, but HRs are HRs.

I mean, 20-25 home runs is kind of nothing to write home about these days. 

The question is can he be like a 35 home run hitter in which case he's an MVP candidate.  Maybe, maybe not.  But this is definitely promising what he's doing rn.

Really weird, not even any hints of injury here but I've never seen a guy go from Honus Wagner to an A-ball player this quickly. 

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

All the major publications pegged him a Top 10 prospect after his first AFL stint with the Yankees. The guys who were lowest on Torres (Jed Lowrie caliber) were um...on this board.

IMO you guys were trying to peg him as a low-ceiling type because of his average athleticism (and as a foil Jimenez), but everything I read raved about his superlative baseball instincts, quick hands, and professional ABs. I admit that some guys were split on the power and hit-tool a couple years ago.

He DOES have great instincts, soft and quick hands, etc. But those don’t encompass the five major tools in baseball, which is what the posters on here are saying. Your superstars have at least one or more plus tools. 

Archived