2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

1 hour ago, CAS22 said:

Y'all think he can be a starter?  To me, he's too valuable in the role he has now to even try it.

He was always a reliever for me, but I didn't think he'd have anywhere near this type of impact back there.  You're looking at a 3+ Win reliever.  For reference, only 27 qualified SPs reached the 3 Win threshold in 2017.  

36 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:
1 hour ago, CAS22 said:

Y'all think he can be a starter?  To me, he's too valuable in the role he has now to even try it.

He was always a reliever for me, but I didn't think he'd have anywhere near this type of impact back there.  You're looking at a 3+ Win reliever.  For reference, only 27 qualified SPs reached the 3 Win threshold in 2017.

If he actually has the ability to keep this level stuff it wouldn't be for 5+ innings. But if he can do it for 2 or 3 innings at a time and you commit to pitching him twice per 5 man cycle you'll get well over 150 IP. That would be extraordinarily valuable for many reasons. 1. you get this stuff with more innings, 2. you can get all the value in higher leverage situations (with in 2 runs 6th inning or later). Obviously that depends on him being able to do that arm wise. It's never been done so I don't know if it can. But if it can doing this would get over 5 WAR

2 hours ago, CAS22 said:

I think he can be a starter, but he's not moving. Reportedly, when the Brewers called him up a year ago to join the bullpen, both he and his family were upset because he wanted to start. 2 weeks ago after he went 2 IP, 5 K against the Mets, he was asked about his future and said he 100% wanted to be in the bullpen.

To me, that formally ends the debate. He wants to relieve, he's the best in baseball at it, party's over.

22 minutes ago, mse326 said:

If he actually has the ability to keep this level stuff it wouldn't be for 5+ innings. But if he can do it for 2 or 3 innings at a time and you commit to pitching him twice per 5 man cycle you'll get well over 150 IP. That would be extraordinarily valuable for many reasons. 1. you get this stuff with more innings, 2. you can get all the value in higher leverage situations (with in 2 runs 6th inning or later). Obviously that depends on him being able to do that arm wise. It's never been done so I don't know if it can. But if it can doing this would get over 5 WAR

He's thrown 18 IP over 11 appearances, and the Brewers are 11-0 in those games. He's on pace for 93 IP, 211 K. To me, that's pretty much perfect.  

Its like having a win button on your lineup card.

5 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

So Montgomery exits with an injury 7 pitches in while flexing his left arm. Cya in 2019, Gumby...

If we are looking at a long stint Im hoping they deem Sheffield ready. He was dirty tonight in AA

56 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

If we are looking at a long stint Im hoping they deem Sheffield ready. He was dirty tonight in AA

Would be silly to do that without giving German a few turns first. Sheffield isn't that much better of a prospect and German is more advanced. I do think he's a reliever though.

Also, I'd turn to Chance Adams before Sheffield probably. 

7 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Would be silly to do that without giving German a few turns first. Sheffield isn't that much better of a prospect and German is more advanced. 

Not silly at all. Top guys make big leaps at times. It is silly to say German is "not much worse" than Sheffield. Ill give you more advanced but Sheffeild is a top 50 prospect while German was in the early teens of the Yanks list and didnt sniff the top 100 in baseball.

2 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Not silly at all. Top guys make big leaps at times. It is silly to say German is "not much worse" than Sheffield. Ill give you more advanced but Sheffeild is a top 50 prospect while German was in the early teens of the Yanks list and didnt sniff the top 100 in baseball.

I don't think Sheffield is a top 50 prospect. I don't think the Yankees have double digit prospects better than German. They're both close to the same FV, maybe Sheffield a half grade higher since there's somewhat less reliever risk. 

There's an argument to not start German because his mechanics are reliever mechanics, but then I'd turn to Adams, depending on how his stuff looks so far this season. I haven't gotten any stuff reports since the end of last year. 

3 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

German is good bruh

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

German is good bruh

He's been solid. Im not trying to take anything away from that. Just more likely to be exposed in a every 5 day role. Hell, if he changes his outlook with sustained success, Ill be pleased.

7 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I don't think Sheffield is a top 50 prospect. I don't think the Yankees have double digit prospects better than German. They're both close to the same FV, maybe Sheffield a half grade higher since there's somewhat less reliever risk. 

There's an argument to not start German because his mechanics are reliever mechanics, but then I'd turn to Adams, depending on how his stuff looks so far this season. I haven't gotten any stuff reports since the end of last year. 

He was universly top 50 prior to 2018 season (aside from BP at 57) and was as high as 16 on Keith Laws list.

Archived