Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let's flash back to a year ago:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586623

Gotta love FF. The Patriots are geniuses for trading for Cooks, and now, they're geniuses for trading him away. The Rams and Saints are suckers for trading with NE.

I love what Snead has done overall.  You know that.  But that’s an oversimplification.  

NE paid 1.32 for 2 cheap years of Cooks.  Now they trade him away with only 1 cheap year and get 1:23 and the 4/6 swap.   It’s hard not to give credit to NE they leveraged maximum yield.   

NO did take advantage - RT Ryan Ramczyk looks like a cornerstone T for them who is also LT capable in a pinch.  So the deal works great for their short and long term health.    Good for them.   Obviously the Rams return and NE’s return on 1.23 will add the final pieces.   But NE upgraded their pick and got a cheap year of Cooks.   It’s hard not to tip the cap to B.B. & co.  It doesn’t mean LAR won’t get what they need.   But it certainly makes NE look pretty smart.   It doesn’t mean LAR loses the deal - but NE already is ahead of an alternate scenario of standing pat before last year’s draft.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

I love what Snead has done overall.  You know that.  But that’s an oversimplification.  

NE paid 1.32 for 2 cheap years of Cooks.  Now they trade him away with only 1 cheap year and get 1:23 and the 4/6 swap.   It’s hard not to give credit to NE they leveraged maximum yield.   

NO did take advantage - RT Ryan Ramczyk looks like a cornerstone T for them who is also LT capable in a pinch.  So the deal works great for their short and long term health.    Good for them.   Obviously the Rams return and NE’s return on 1.23 will add the final pieces.   But NE upgraded their pick and got a cheap year of Cooks.   It’s hard not to tip the cap to B.B. & co.  It doesn’t mean LAR won’t get what they need.   But it certainly makes NE look pretty smart.  

Here's what the trades basically added up to on the TVC:

NE for Cooks - 626 points

LA for Cooks - 734 points

Not much of a difference. And then you have to take into account the differences in the drafts. Was the 2017 Draft better than the 2018 Draft? I think there's certainly an argument that it was (except for at the QB position imo).

Plus, the Rams have no reason to care whether or not NE maximizes its yield. Those evaluating THIS trade have no reason to care when evaluating whether it was a worthwhile trade for the Rams. The Rams tried to trade for Cooks last year. They couldn't pull it off.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Here's what the trades basically added up to on the TVC:

NE for Cooks - 626 points

LA for Cooks - 734 points

Not much of a difference. And then you have to take into account the differences in the drafts. Was the 2017 Draft better than the 2018 Draft? I think there's certainly an argument that it was (except for at the QB position imo).

Plus, the Rams have no reason to care whether or not NE maximizes its yield. Those evaluating THIS trade have no reason to care when evaluating whether it was a worthwhile trade for the Rams. The Rams tried to trade for Cooks last year. They couldn't pull it off.

Absolutely fair point that pick #’s are meaningless without accounting for draft depth.   But it’s also fair to say paying for a guy that has 2 cheap years should cost significantly more than same player  with 1 year left.   At the very least they got similar but not worse value for a free year of cheap cost control and SB contention.   That’s something to praise for NE.  

I think you are also seeing praise for NE as somehow meaning LAR clearly lost this deal.   It doesn’t have to mean that.   

I look at it this way: 

NE - gained pick value and still contended for SB because of their O.   What they do with pick upgrade to 2018 1.23 is unknown. 

NO - got more balance and their O was fine without Cooks.  Now could have 4 more years of really good T play. 

LAR - got Cooks.  Unknown if it works out for what they are looking for.  

I know you are presenting this deal as a single deal.   But remember all of Snead’s moves have a greater cumulative impact than looking at them one by one.   To look at NE’s perspective with the combo isn’t out of line.  That’s all I’m saying.   Especially when this deal is really just following their blueprint.   Not all of their deals work out either.  Just that their principle is sound.  

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely fair point that pick #’s are meaningless without accounting for draft depth.   But it’s also fair to say paying for a guy that has 2 cheap years should cost significantly more than same player  with 1 year left.   At the very least they got similar but not worse value for a free year of cheap cost control and SB contention.   That’s something to praise for NE.  

I think you are also seeing praise for NE as somehow meaning LAR clearly lost this deal.   It doesn’t have to mean that.   

I look at it this way: 

NE - gained pick value and still contended for SB because of their O.   What they do with pick upgrade to 2018 1.23 is unknown. 

NO - got more balance and their O was fine without Cooks.  Now could have 4 more years of really good T play. 

LAR - got Cooks.  Unknown if it works out for what they are looking for.  

I know you are presenting this deal as a single deal.   But remember all of Snead’s moves have a greater cumulative impact than looking at them one by one.   To look at NE’s perspective with the combo isn’t out of line.  That’s all I’m saying.   Especially when this deal is really just following their blueprint.   Not all of their deals work out either.  Just that their principle is sound.  

That's not at all the issue I have here. As I said in my post, when evaluating this trade from LA's perspective, it doesn't matter how NE did. I'm pushing back against the people who push the opinion that because Payton and Belichick traded Cooks, there must be something wrong with him.

But it’s also fair to say paying for a guy that has 2 cheap years should cost significantly more than same player  with 1 year left.

And maybe it did.

5 hours ago, BAConrad said:

I have zero salt. 

My team just won the real championship. Im feeling great homie.

Ive seen my team win the offseason before. And as we all know, it worked out about as well as a dumpster fire

giphy.gif

How about "insecure?"

This was you in the Eagles forum days ago when another Eagles fan was telling the salty/insecure ones to chill with the Rams threads:
"Idk if im one of said people or not... But I literally posted legitimate questions I have about the Rams' team as a whole"

Is that literally what you posted? Literally? Here was the very first thing you said in the Suh to Rams thread:

"Gonna be kind of great if (or when) this Rams team just completely flames out."
Right out of the gates.

And you in this thread, first words out of your mouth:
"Apparently McVay is now, after one year as a HC and zero playoff wins despite one appearance, is such a genius that his decisions and coaching abilities trump/exceed those of Sean Payton, Bill Bellichick...."
Again, right out of the gates.

You in a thread in the Eagles forums a couple days ago, even though that aint what Jrry said 
9_9
"Go look back in the Suh thread in News and youll see that jrry dude calling me an idiot for saying that the Rams still have major holes at WR, edge rush, LB, and depth up front. But according to him its a guarantee that the FO and the God that is Les Snead will easily fix all of those holes via this draft. Loll"

In another NFLGen thread, where you didnt even bother participating in the discussion other than to take a shot at the Rams, even though, yet again, nobody said this

"Not true bro. Didn't you hear? Theyre the deepest team in the league. Easily."

Back in the Eagles forums... 
Also i legit dont understand why these morons keep saying that when ever the Rams do anything, we come in and bash it. 

In the offseason rumor thread in NFLGen, one post, one more shot at the Rams (or its fans)
"So new rule now seems to basically be that any big name players become available on the trading block, Rams automatically are the "most logical and realistic" team. Lol LA fans. 

Going back to the 21st of March, you have maybe 5 posts out of 44 that aren't directed at the Rams. It's all Rams, all day for you. Even in the Eagles forums, you're bitching about the Rams or Rams fans. It's obvious you are all kinds of bothered at all the talk about the Rams. You are clearly bothered by people suggesting the Rams are on the same level as the Eagles. I think you perceive the Rams as getting undue attention that the Eagles should be getting. I think it goes back to Goff v Wentz in the draft. I think  you feel the Rams got undue attention the Eagles deserved last offseason. I think you feel like the Rams got more attention than the more deserving Eagles during the regular season. And that the Rams are getting undue attention the Eagles should be getting this off season. 

Basically, you are tired of hearing about the Rams.

Okay... so ignore the talk. It aint that hard. But damn, dude... no need to get all salty. You all got the ring you have been waiting your whole lives for. Take a second to sit back and enjoy it. Off season talk is just that. Its off season talk. King of the off season means nothing. Opinions, expectations, predictions mean nothing. Everything is settled on the field. So let it play out. In the meantime, let the dudes who just had their first winning season in 15 years enjoy their moment too, for christs sake. ^_^

I havent been following every thread, but I am pretty sure there arent any Rams fans saying we are the favorites to win the SB. Or that we are the class of the NFC. Or any of that. We are just happy with the off season and think we are a better team than we were last season. And... we trust McVay. And until he tanks, why shouldnt we?

6 hours ago, BAConrad said:

I was talking about him.

And I legitimately want to know why you think that two future HOF, SB winning head coaches in Payton and BB somehow know less about Cooks than McVay and Snead do? Why should we trust the latter over the former?

Cooks is a very good WR. I agree. But I dont see how it is a good deal for you guys considering what you gave up and Cooks' contract?

Saying you trust your coach in a situation like this isnt anywhere near the same thing as saying your coach knows more about Cooks than Payton or Belly. It doesnt even necessarily have a thing to do with knowing the player. It's not like either coach has said the kid isnt any good. Right? I mean, have they. Has either coach really had anything negative to say about the kid? 

It could just be as simple as Belly is moving an expendable component to his offense while the components price is high. He knows he aint gonna pay a premium for Cooks once the rookie contract is up, so he basically managed to get Cooks for a year and move up a few spots in the first in the process. Meanwhile, McVay sees Cooks as exactly the kind of player he wants for the offense he is constructing in Los Angeles. And wants to sign him to a long term deal based on his visions of "RAMSULTRAOFFENSEPEWPEWPEW". So its a win/win.

It doesnt have to be:

Payton: This kid sucks.
Bellichick: This kid sucks
McVay: This kid is awesome

And "I trust McVay" must then mean, "McVay is smarter than Payton and Belly. He is a better coach than they are. He knows Cooks better than they do." 

It doesnt. It just means, "I trust McVay's vision. He knows what he is trying to build. He sees Cooks as a vital component to what he is trying to build. He has shown himself to be a pretty astute coach so far. So I trust him to make this call."

I dont know, man. I feel like I just said the same thing three different ways and I dont know how to clean it up because I am sleepy. So... yeah. 

4 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

uh.. BB feels the same way about cooks that mcvay did seeing as he made basically the same trade a year ago. And they tried to extend him. Thoughts on that or you wanna stay salty? God forbid we talk about a team being good other than the eagles.

I think that is an important part of the equation that keeps getting overlooked. If the rumors are true, it plays out exactly like I have been saying. It isn't that Bill dodn't like the kid. Or thought he was a headcase. Or didnt think he wasnt worth a 1st round pick. He simply didnt think Cooks was worth the money he was demanding.

McVay may think differently based on his philosophy, his approach, his personnel and his long term plans.

Archived