Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If you trade a good player away what else could it mean?  I would think most teams want to keep their good young players.  But I'm not in those locker rooms so who knows?

It could mean that they got a good offer on a player they don't plan on re-signing after his rookie contract expires because they don't want to spend the money.

Is saying, "We don't want you around" and saying "We wont pay you what you want" the same thing in your eyes?

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

gotcha, reacted to the top 5 thing and moved on before reading "pick" ..my bad.
though it's weird to give him that much weight when he was already an overdraft then, and clearly hadn't lived up to it. I mean you're trading for the guy you see in the the NFL right?
But my point remains about rentals. I mean they trade that 2nd last year and Sammy wasn't totally worth it, but I mean sure a 2nd for 8 tds is a fine trade. 
But since they don't resign him they have to either draft a WR at #23 or trade it like they did. Instead of potentially getting a good answer there for the LB problems, of which there seems to be plenty of options available.

All I'm saying is you are borrowing against your future when you do that kinda stuff too much. It's not debilitating in doses but you keep doing it  you'll end up with stuff like the Seahawks not having an oline. You are stealing from the future and limiting your long term success. Which statistically is your best chance at a championship, more chances to win it. I mean there are hundreds upon thousands of ways to do it so it could work.

But again, why would Cooks be cheaper? He's been better in the league, and he will be getting paid post other wideouts getting paid including Sammy...which usually means he'll be getting more. What am I missing?

It was a good trade at the time. In hindsight, it was a bust. No two ways about it. We didn't give up what we gave up for a one year rental of a 3rd option/decoy. 

And the Cooks trade could be a bust too. I keep going back to it, but WR acquisitions are almost always dicey. I mean hell, even Randy Moss went to the Raiders and didn't live up to the billing. They're just incredibly scheme dependent/QB dependent.

That being said, I aint mad at the staff for the trade. It made perfect sense to me at the time. I would support that move 100/100.

It aint like draft picks are a guarantee either. What does having Laquon Treadwell under contract for 4 years do for anyone? Ya feel me?

@stl4life07

Watkins wasnt a top 5 pick.....

Even if he was, why does where he was drafted matter at all here? Hes been in the league 5 years. Draft stock doesn't mean anything to anyone in the league who actually knows what theyre doing. 

So would you justify trading a 2nd round pick for Luke Joeckel?

I mean...he was a top 5 pick man..

Just now, Broncofan said:

When the NFL decided to make MIN@PHI the opening game, clearly no one in their office frequents FF.   If they did, LAR@PHI would have been the no-brainer choice.  :D

I have no idea why some of them are so salty. I mean, I want to make clear that the majority of them don't care one way or the other about the Rams. But some of them are crazy salty.

@Kiltman I get what you are saying but I’m sure Snead and McVay have a plan. I’m guilty of it but we all react to things without seeing the entire picture first. The Rams have built their team through the draft for 5 seasons. That’s when Snead became the GM in 2012. They kept stockpiling picks from the RG3 trade then the Dallas trade then the Bears trade (all in the 2012 draft) then in 2013 they moved up to get Tavon with their pick then with the Redskins pick in that same round they moved down to get Tree. I can go on and on how seem like every year the Rams been moving all around the draft to get picks and players they targeted. I mentioned how the Rams had Kupp and Johnson III on the all-rookie team. How did the Rams get those two players in the 2017 draft? Snead traded down in the 2nd round ended up with (2) 3rds to take Kupp and Johnson III.

My point is at some point you have to go for it while you can once you built your team through the draft for all this time. The Rams aren’t sacrificing their future because they have a lot of homegrown talent and the players they brought in are on short term deals. Cooks will get extended and we will see in 2yrs if Peters get extended. Outside of that the Rams aren’t tied to guys like Suh or Talib for a long time. The Rams won’t have a 2nd next year but will have (3) 3rds , two of which is compensatory for losing Tru and Watkins and they will have a compensatory 6th for losing Davis. If Suh leaves and goes somewhere next season the Rams will get a 3rd or 4th compensatory pick for 2020. On top of that the Rams are projected to have the 2nd most cap space in 2019 and the most cap space in 2020. So they are set up great long term while going for it now while they aren’t paying Goff big bucks. It’s genius what Snead is doing but many people don’t really get it and I understand some I don’t get others. Like just listen to Steve Wyche, he totally gets what Snead is doing both short and long term. The other media people don’t get it and that’s why they are back and forth on how to feel about the Rams offseason so far.

Also, I brought up Pederson in regards to McVay because its just laughable how people like @jrry32 are literally acting like McVay can do no wrong and is now somehow the NFL's brightest mind (on offense). Which is laughable. Not saying McVay ia Trestman because.....hes not. But Trestman is a perfect example of a rookie HC who took a Bears offense and elevated it from mediocre to one of the best in the league. Only to crap out and now coaches in Canada IIRC.

I think that he needs to prove himself. One year doesnt prove jack. It shows us what is possible for sure. But to say that the NFL fans should value his opinion on football over that of BB or Payton is just laughable.

So really what I want to know is if 2017 makes McVay the future GOAT...what does it make Pederson? The guy who you know, actually was a better coach last season in his 2nd as a HC? The future Mega GOAT? 

And why are people here just assuming that McVay is behind this? Hes not BB. Or Payton even, who I am 100% sure has much more say in trades/signings etc. 

And just to throw this out there: Kyle Shannahan is maybe the best offensive mind in football right now. If and when the Niners get some real skill position players on offense...man oh man. 

Shannahan and Mcvay going at it twice a year (at least) for the next decade (hopefully) is going to be incredibly fun to watch. 

2 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Also, I brought up Pederson in regards to McVay because its just laughable how people like @jrry32 are literally acting like McVay can do no wrong and is now somehow the NFL's brightest mind (on offense). Which is laughable. Not saying McVay ia Trestman because.....hes not. But Trestman is a perfect example of a rookie HC who took a Bears offense and elevated it from mediocre to one of the best in the league. Only to crap out and now coaches in Canada IIRC.

I think that he needs to prove himself. One year doesnt prove jack. It shows us what is possible for sure. But to say that the NFL fans should value his opinion on football over that of BB or Payton is just laughable.

So really what I want to know is if 2017 makes McVay the future GOAT...what does it make Pederson? The guy who you know, actually was a better coach last season in his 2nd as a HC? The future Mega GOAT? 

And why are people here just assuming that McVay is behind this? Hes not BB. Or Payton even, who I am 100% sure has much more say in trades/signings etc. 

You keep talking about Pederson but everyone knows that he's overrated and that he won the SB with a lot of luck. I would like to see him going to the Browns and win the SB but he doesn't have ball for that. 

1 minute ago, Non-Issue said:

It was a good trade at the time. In hindsight, it was a bust. No two ways about it. We didn't give up what we gave up for a one year rental of a 3rd option/decoy. 

And the Cooks trade could be a bust too. I keep going back to it, but WR acquisitions are almost always dicey. I mean hell, even Randy Moss went to the Raiders and didn't live up to the billing. They're just incredibly scheme dependent/QB dependent.

That being said, I aint mad at the staff for the trade. It made perfect sense to me at the time. I would support that move 100/100.

It aint like draft picks are a guarantee either. What does having Laquon Treadwell under contract for 4 years do for anyone? Ya feel me?

Oh yea this is 100% hindsight...I thought it was a little rich last year. But only after this past season would I call it a "waste" and even that is a little strong cause he did get in the endzone.

It is a very hard position to trade for, and I think most teams don't value the position that highly. They don't want to be paying Wideouts 20 mil and trading as much as they do for QBs, I think that's why the Giants are stuck in a weird place with Odell. It's like easier to have and move a 7-18 guy like a Cooks, rather than a top guy like an Odell, Aj Green or Julio.

Ha no you are definitely right about that, a lot of draft picks don't. But you do give yourself multiple years to evaluate and change. And the player time to adjust. 
I mean Sammy got dealt in August, who's to say he doesn't live up to his billing in year two or 3 if we pretend he's a draft pick.

On the Eagles we have Nelson Agholor, 1st round guy like Sammy, seemed like a bust.
But he were sit year 3, and he was confident...the 2nd year staff learned how to best use him. An he was electric...doubling his yards, receptions, big plays and quadrupling his touchdowns.
If he was here just that one year, he would've walked. We likely would've had to trade an asset to get a wideout or draft one. Which domino effect could've taken away our ability to move up and draft Wentz, not draft Derek Barnett..who was a big part of that dline in his rookie season and made an impact to get us a ring. He also made Vinny Curry expendable so we could sure up other spots.

I mean it could all work out, he could set the world aflame down there with the quick outs and his speed. But my only point is it puts a lot of stress on you landing on things and they've already shown they can misstep. And at some point soon it'll get hard to do this because Goff will be on a $24 mil a year deal for 6 seasons.

Just now, Flounch said:

You keep talking about Pederson but everyone knows that he's overrated and that he won the SB with a lot of luck. I would like to see him going to the Browns and win the SB but he doesn't have ball for that. 

Keep? I brought him up the one time. 

Being that I am way more familiar with my own team and therefore with the inner workings of its organizational structure, I am going to use players or coaches or execs on Philly as references when talking about some things.

However, not gonna address any thing else you just said. Its so stupid I cant even read it without giggling

19 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:
21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

When the NFL decided to make MIN@PHI the opening game, clearly no one in their office frequents FF.   If they did, LAR@PHI would have been the no-brainer choice.  :D

I have no idea why some of them are so salty. I mean, I want to make clear that the majority of them don't care one way or the other about the Rams. But some of them are crazy salty.

I just like having consistent competition ha

Back in the 2000s it was really just the Eagles and whatever team decided to get up that year. There wasn't anybody at our heels and pushing us.
It made the team complacent in a couple ways.

Now I think Howie Roseman would never be like that, but I like that we know we have teams coming from us all over the NFC.
I want to be the best and beat the best...and the NFC is getting so good.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Oh yea this is 100% hindsight...I thought it was a little rich last year. But only after this past season would I call it a "waste" and even that is a little strong cause he did get in the endzone.

It is a very hard position to trade for, and I think most teams don't value the position that highly. They don't want to be paying Wideouts 20 mil and trading as much as they do for QBs, I think that's why the Giants are stuck in a weird place with Odell. It's like easier to have and move a 7-18 guy like a Cooks, rather than a top guy like an Odell, Aj Green or Julio.

Ha no you are definitely right about that, a lot of draft picks don't. But you do give yourself multiple years to evaluate and change. And the player time to adjust. 
I mean Sammy got dealt in August, who's to say he doesn't live up to his billing in year two or 3 if we pretend he's a draft pick.

On the Eagles we have Nelson Agholor, 1st round guy like Sammy, seemed like a bust.
But he were sit year 3, and he was confident...the 2nd year staff learned how to best use him. An he was electric...doubling his yards, receptions, big plays and quadrupling his touchdowns.
If he was here just that one year, he would've walked. We likely would've had to trade an asset to get a wideout or draft one. Which domino effect could've taken away our ability to move up and draft Wentz, not draft Derek Barnett..who was a big part of that dline in his rookie season and made an impact to get us a ring. He also made Vinny Curry expendable so we could sure up other spots.

I mean it could all work out, he could set the world aflame down there with the quick outs and his speed. But my only point is it puts a lot of stress on you landing on things and they've already shown they can misstep. And at some point soon it'll get hard to do this because Goff will be on a $24 mil a year deal for 6 seasons.

But the thing is....you cant reasonably compare a player going into his 5th season to one who has never played a down in the NFL. Completely different situations. 

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're not getting a first in that scenario. We just saw it play out this year with Landry.

... Jarvis Landry? Of course he ain't going for a first! He's not worth a first! Who the hell would do that?

Honest question:

How many other teams would give up their first round pick for Cooks right now? (Excluding the top 15 picks for argument sake since the Rams gave the 23rd). 

I dont think any team picking between 20-32 makes this trade.

Tbh I think BB did it because it was just too good to pass up. The Pats broke down Cooks' tape from 2017, decided what his grade was and his value...and LA came along and offered them some thing that is wayyy above market value. The Pats would have been idiots to say no to this. Especially because were talking about a guy literally on his last year of his contract and making 8.9 million.

Archived