Packers Big Board #9

Packerraymond

Who is #9 on the Packers Big Board?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is #9 on the Packers Big Board?

• Vita Vea
    • Leighton Vander Esch
    • Quenton Nelson
    • Mike Hughes
    • Calvin Ridley
    • Roquan Smith
    • Jaire Alexander
    • Taven Bryan
    • Mike McGlinchey
    • Connor Williams

Nelson, and here's why...

If you're going to respond to me about how the value of a G is extravagant at 14, you're preaching to the choir, because I don't like that aspect of it either.

But (for me) Nelson is the last remaining player in a tier of prospects who I have labeled as special/blue-chip, and it's bad form to pass on such prospects just because you do not feel pressing need there -- really, really bad form.

If you truly have a personnel/financial logjam at the position and just can't fit a guy in, that's one thing, but we do have a pretty substantial need at G. It's not a pressing need, but a need all the same. I already gave need/positional preference to those within his tier, even to those who may not be as good football players right now (but I feel they can be as good or better pros).

Take the player with special talent/ability, or at least is in a tier above the remaining, and re-adjust your broader draft plans accordingly.

And yeah, I would probably feel a knot in my stomach sending in the card for an IOL, but again, 10+ years of giving Rodgers a clean pocket and opening holes for the run will help me get over it eventually. Rodgers and the offense remain the key to our team's success.

Also, in today's NFL, pressure up the middle is a much bigger problem than pressure off the edge, and let's not forget about the defensive lines that teams in our conference are building (Minnesota, St. Louis, ...).

2 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Nelson, and here's why...

If you're going to respond to me about how the value of a G is extravagant at 14, you're preaching to the choir, because I don't like that aspect of it either.

But (for me) Nelson is the last remaining player in a tier of prospects who I have labeled as special/blue-chip, and it's bad form to pass on such prospects just because you do not feel pressing need there -- really, really bad form.

If you truly have a personnel/financial logjam at the position and just can't fit a guy in, that's one thing, but we do have a pretty substantial need at G. It's not a pressing need, but a need all the same. I already gave need/positional preference to those within his tier, even to those who may not be as good football players right now (but I feel they can be as good or better pros).

Take the player with special talent/ability, or at least is in a tier above the remaining, and re-adjust your broader draft plans accordingly.

And yeah, I would probably feel a knot in my stomach sending in the card for an IOL, but again, 10+ years of giving Rodgers a clean pocket and opening holes for the run will help me get over it eventually. Rodgers and the offense remain the key to our team's success.

Also, in today's NFL, pressure up the middle is a much bigger problem than pressure off the edge, and let's not forget about the defensive lines that teams in our conference are building (Minnesota, St. Louis, ...).

Nelson? LOL. He will not be around for our pick.

22 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

BPA- Vita Vea.  He is a physical freak. Don't expect him to make it to 14.  He would eat Nelson alive.

I had Vea quite high on my board before the Wilkerson signing, but now he's off my board; we'd have a logjam on the DL and have to sacrifice a good player for a possible, marginal upgrade. At least Nelson would fill some sort of need and upgrades pretty considerably. Vea is not un-draftable, he'll just get taken a lot earlier than I would spend a pick on.

And no, lol he most certainly would not "eat Nelson alive." He may win some reps on Nelson but they would mostly be hard-fought wins.

Archived