First Round Locks: Players and Teams

HBL052086

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Unless someone unexpected falls, I would very much expect the Lions to be targeting a left guard. Will Hernandez, Isaiah Wynn, Connor Williams, Billy Price, or even Mike McGlinchey should be among their targets. 

Even after their disaster of a pick in Laken Tomlinson?

12 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Unless someone unexpected falls, I would very much expect the Lions to be targeting a left guard. Will Hernandez, Isaiah Wynn, Connor Williams, Billy Price, or even Mike McGlinchey should be among their targets. 

McGlinchey doesn't seem like someone that could play LG to me. I don't like him as a prospect at all to be honest, but he's extremely light for a 6'8 interior OL. He does have really good blocking form, but I think he'd have a hard time with squatty interior DT's getting underneath his pads and pushing him back.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Even after their disaster of a pick in Laken Tomlinson?

That was a different front office. Martin Mayhew drafted Laken Tomlinson. Bob Quinn drafted Taylor Decker in the 1st round and that has worked out wonderfully for them. Bob Quinn clearly values his offensive line very highly after spending big on Lang and Wagner and spending two high picks on Decker and Glasgow. They have drafted for need two years in a row in the 1st round and LG is the position that fits the mold this year. They signed Blount so RB can wait until like round 3 or 4. They don't need another 1T after signing Sylvester Williams to back up A'Shawn Robinson. They will probably target a 3T in round 2 or 3 to go with Akeem Spence and Jeremiah Ledbetter. A 1st round pick there would be nice but isn't as urgent as drafting a starting LG. They need another edge rusher but with the signing of Devon Kennard it will just be a rotational role. 

The Tomlinson pick really wasn't even bad anyway, he had a solid year for the 49ers and he had multiple really good games in his time with the Lions. He was solid in the run game and did well against bull rushers that he could jump set. His struggles came against quicker DT's that he couldn't get his hands on. The real issue was Ron Prince. He didn't teach the guys anything and his schemes were trash. Tomlinson probably would've developed into a good player if he had been drafted to a team with a competent OL coach.

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

McGlinchey doesn't seem like someone that could play LG to me. I don't like him as a prospect at all to be honest, but he's extremely light for a 6'8 interior OL. He does have really good blocking form, but I think he'd have a hard time with squatty interior DT's getting underneath his pads and pushing him back.

I don't think that would really be an issue for him. He plays pretty low even though he's 6'8"

On 4/6/2018 at 5:25 PM, Ozzy said:

Sure they could not take him and go a different way, but to take not a RB who is arguably the best RB prospect to come into the league since Adrian Peterson.  That could be pretty stupid.  Especially with the success of RBs in general in the league and how important they are to their teams.  In terms of player ranking their is no elite OT they could get at that spot which is a huge need, Nelson would be solid because that is a big need as well at OG.  Could go DT with Vea but with how poorly Shelton played doubt they do that.  In terms of pure talent, no one is more complete of a prospect than Barkley.  

Sorry, but you're wrong on a couple of points here. Guard is arguably our strongest unit. Bitonio and Zeitler are both very good guards. Not quite elite, but a step below it. Nelson would be wasted here, unless the coaching staff thinks Bitonio could move over to LT. And Shelton absolutely did not play poorly. Supposedly they just want a DT who's better at collapsing the pocket and getting after the QB, which isn't what Shelton does. As a run stuffing DT, he's one of the best. I guess they just didn't want to pay him a bunch of money since he doesn't do what they need out of a DT, so they thought it was better to get a third round pick for him instead.

I'm not against taking Barkley. I'm not a huge fan of taking RBs that high, but there's no other player I really want that fits a position of need for the Browns. There's Chubb, and while the Browns could use another DE, I don't view it as being a huge need. I think most Browns fans want to trade down from the fourth spot. I think Barkley is a great talent, but I don't think Dorsey will take him.

Archived