Dez Bryant Released

WizardHawk

3 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Removing the top receiver and inserting new receivers is an extremely difficult process. It is why the bust rate on receivers via draft tends to be so egregiously high over the last 15+ years. Learning route trees and the proper timing can be immensely difficult to do going from one system, be it in a college or from another NFL team, to another. 

Dez has been playing hurt year after year and been in a run first offense for a while now; its hurt his numbers. Combine that with the Romo injuries, and his bout of dropsies (Even Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc had a year or two with drop problems) last year and his numbers look flat. But make no mistake, Dez is a warrior, who plays with passion amd fight on every down. Remember when he dragged 4 DBs to the end zone as little as 5 months ago? Thats the kind of player you get in Dez.

No one complained Dez and Dak werent on the same page when Dez was healthy and catching 8 TDs in only 13 games in a very run heavy offense with a very raw rookie Dak throwing the ball. Only after playing hurt (with foor, ankle and hamstring bugs last year) did he become an issue. 

Sorry but I know far too much about the situations on a football field to believe there is any basis for "Dez and Dak dont work well together" other than grasping at straws to place blame someplace. 

What you should blame is opposing teams. Opposing defenses. They take the field too. And after realizing Williams didnt even try to run a decent route, and the protection was no longer going to keep Dak safe consistently, they played what they saw on film - Cloud Dez so he cant beat you, place a LB rolled to Cole's usual route path, and rush the weak side. Thats how you stopped this offense last year and any pee wee league coach could have said it after just 15 minutes of watching the Cowboys offense. So ebery D we played did this. It eliminated our two weapons with Zeke out, and made our QB run for his life and look like a fool.It made Dez look pathetic. It made Cole look useless.

Upgrade the LG spot so Tyron isnt seeing both inside and outside shoulder rushes. Upgrade the receiver spot opposite Dez. And Dez, Dak, and even Cole, can look like they did in 2016.

You know, it simply strikes me as sooo incredible that virtually every defense has the personnel to shut down our stud WR and still have LB's fast enough to shut down Beasley, who seemed uncover-able ONLY a season ago. 

Yet, with that going on Witten couldn't be effective and they still had the defense to limit our potent running attack.

And here we are, with our defense, not being able to stop a team like Denver (45 points, REALLY????), a 2nd year QB in Goff, a banged up Seattle team with the playoffs on the line.

Point is, if teams can counter our greatest weapons THAT easily, they are not that great. Get over the man crush. Dez is on the backside of his career.

And for new WR's learning all of the routes, etc? Tell that to A. Jeffrey and T. Smith. They had Nooooooo trouble picking up their game in Philly.

12 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

You know, it simply strikes me as sooo incredible that virtually every defense has the personnel to shut down our stud WR and still have LB's fast enough to shut down Beasley, who seemed uncover-able ONLY a season ago. 

Yet, with that going on Witten couldn't be effective and they still had the defense to limit our potent running attack.

And here we are, with our defense, not being able to stop a team like Denver (45 points, REALLY????), a 2nd year QB in Goff, a banged up Seattle team with the playoffs on the line.

Point is, if teams can counter our greatest weapons THAT easily, they are not that great. Get over the man crush. Dez is on the backside of his career.

And for new WR's learning all of the routes, etc? Tell that to A. Jeffrey and T. Smith. They had Nooooooo trouble picking up their game in Philly.

It doesnt take personnel. It takes scheme. And when a defense doesnt fear the man opposits the top receiver, and the star tailback is out, it is very simple to scheme Dez out of the game and complicate things for Dak by also making it difficult for Cole to run his route. 

And Jeffery had a season identical to Dez's. 

Smith was a non factor most games. 

Ertz, Defense and outstanding protection was what Philly won with. Not Smith and Jeffery lol

You are also ignoring, again, that Dez played injured all year.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

It doesnt take personnel. It takes scheme. And when a defense doesnt fear the man opposits the top receiver, and the star tailback is out, it is very simple to scheme Dez out of the game and complicate things for Dak by also making it difficult for Cole to run his route. 

Ertz, Defense and outstanding protection was what Philly won with. Not Smith and Jeffery lol

Agree that having no other playmakers hurts Dez's ability. However teams weren't even doubling him at the end of the year. Using their 2nd corners on him.

Dez can still be productive but he isn't even a top 15 WR. 

We need to keep him this year but we need to start planning to be without him.

29 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Agree that having no other playmakers hurts Dez's ability. However teams weren't even doubling him at the end of the year. Using their 2nd corners on him.

We need to keep Dez this year but start planning for life without him.  Exactly.

Given the option of an oft-injured WR on the backside of his career that doesn't gel with our QB or a proven DB, also on the backside of his career but still highly effective and reuniting with his coach from a championship defense, I would cheerfully accept the DB.

Especially if you all plan on releasing Dez next season anyway.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I didn't ignore it. I put in capital letters PRECISELY, when pointing out he was injured the past 3 years.

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

No receivers get doubled anymore. This isnt the 90s. What they do is run a cloud over their way, keeping the zone defenders at the edge of the zone closest to that receiver in an attrmpt to put as many men closer to that receiver as possible in hopes it impedes his route and the passing windows.

In man coverage, they will play a safety deep over him, but shallow enough for it to be a wide robber concept im an attempt to, again, impede his route while keeping him from getting vertical. 

You rarely see double coverage anymore. All the new rules that favor the passing game and receivers have made it impossible to do so without some scrub carving your secondary apart. The emphasis on the 5 yard press rule after the Pats-Colts matchup mid 2000s did away with most of it, then the defenseless receiver stuff secured the fact that double coverage as we once knew it is over.

If I were to bet on the outcome, I think the Cowboys will keep Dez until they see how the draft plays out. Then things get interesting imo. I think if Dez tries to show up to the offseason program on April 16, the F.O. will just send him home.

All in all, I think Dez is a Dallas Cowboy for 2018 at his current salary. The team cannot afford to use a 1st in the draft to replace him when they desperately need help on defense. 

Something that I picked up on Twitter from yesterday, possibly from Fisher, but not sure.

Anyway, isn't it amazing how this team kills any potential trade value? They did it last year with Romo, when they all but said he would be released.  Now they've done it again with Dez. If you no longer want him, fine. It makes no sense, but that's beside the point now. Why would you, as a team exec/coach, go out and tell everybody your under 30, multiple pro-bowler, 1x All-Pro "does very few things really well" ?  Who does this? 

22 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The Cowboys don't trade players. When was the last time we traded a player for anything good? Jerry, for being such a renowned businessman, sucks at this.

When Jimmy Johnson was the HC.

38 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The Cowboys don't trade players. When was the last time we traded a player for anything good? Jerry, for being such a renowned businessman, sucks at this.

Being a good business man doesn’t mean you’re a good football guy. Jerry has no football acumen to speak of, but has convinced himself that he does. That’s why we overvalue our own talent, undervalue others’ talent, and get fleeced in trades.

This one isn't courtesy of Jerry though it appears. Stephen is the one doing all the talking...he and the mystery staffer. SJ has become more and more a talking point with the organization. And, at least on the surface appears to have a better grasp of football operations than JJ. At least from my POV. I guess, I would just expect a little better of him in this situation, but then again, he does carry the same last name. 

Whatever the case, after nearly 30 years in the NFL business, I find it difficult to believe either can be this blatantly stupid.