Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So he’s a good dude, everyone just hates him for no reason? 

I would say he’s just different. Like an RG3 or Arenas type. If things are going well and the team in doing amazing, they put up with him but when it doesn’t go well, they get tired of it fast because he acts a certain way all the time. I don’t think he’s the type to take loss like it’s the end of the world - even in the playoffs - and that rubs people the wrong way. 

So, people hate how he acts but no one says he’s a bad guy. It’s not like he’s an a-hole or getting in trouble off the court or in fightswith teammates, that’s what I equate as a bad guy. Teammates just haven’t been able to connect with him and they don’t like his personality. 

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I would say he’s just different. Like an RG3 or Arenas type. If things are going well and the team in doing amazing, they put up with him but when it doesn’t go well, they get tired of it fast because he acts a certain way all the time. I don’t think he’s the type to take loss like it’s the end of the world - even in the playoffs - and that rubs people the wrong way. 

So, people hate how he acts but no one says he’s a bad guy. It’s not like he’s an a-hole or getting in trouble off the court or in fightswith teammates, that’s what I equate as a bad guy. Teammates just haven’t been able to connect with him and they don’t like his personality. 

This has been proven wrong by 5 different nba locker rooms.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

All I’m saying is he’s not a bad person. 

To be fair, you also originally said he’s not a bad teammate.

I don’t think he’s a “bad guy” in the sense that he would hurt you or bully you or steal from you or try to nail your wife. I don’t think he’s a criminal or anything like that, or even a “mean” guy. 

But he’s still a bad teammate. He kinda reminds me of Andy Bernard from the Office, if you’re familiar with the show. Annoying, divisive, probably two-faced, overly sensitive, demands to be the center of attention, demands to be treated as if he’s better than he is.

And the biggest thing is that he’s selfish. Fully invested in the stuff that makes Dwight look good, like blocks and rebounds and getting his post touches — half assed effort on the stuff that only helps the team win, like showing against pick and rolls and setting screens and running the floor to draw defenders in transition. And he whines when he doesn’t get he wants, but he also whines when you criticize him for not doing what you want. 

Look, you sign a starting C for the MLE, you know you’re not getting David Robinson or Hakeem. You’re getting a guy with some serious warts. And despite his warts, Dwight is still a pretty effective player. He’s still better than Gortat (although I’m just warning everyone now, a season of watching Dwight refuse to do the little things will help you realize the value of that stuff Gortat willingly did). We’re a more talented team this year than last, thanks in large part to what amounted to swapping Gortat and Scott for Howard and Rivers. That’s a good thing. 

But you also have to take the good with the bad, and trying to convince yourself that Dwight Howard is just a sweet misunderstood goofball is willingly fooling yourself. He’s more than that, in a bad way, and that’s why people don’t like him. But it’s not like this team is overflowing with great chemistry anyway, and he doesn’t have to be likeable — he just has to be effective, and hopefully they’ll get good production out of him.

• Like 1

The real problem, @turtle28, is that he kills locker room chemistry regardless of whether he's a bad teammate or if he's just a misunderstood jokester. No matter how it comes down, he inevitably is shown the door because the rest of his teammates don't want him to stay.

Yes, he was by far and away the best center available for the MLE, but there's a reason he was available for the MLE. As I said when he was signed, this either works out great (and potentially propel the Wizards to the ECF) or it goes horribly (another 6-8 seed and first round exit ... they are too talented and the bottom of the East too bereft for them to miss the playoffs barring injury).

58 minutes ago, Woz said:

The real problem, @turtle28, is that he kills locker room chemistry regardless of whether he's a bad teammate or if he's just a misunderstood jokester. No matter how it comes down, he inevitably is shown the door because the rest of his teammates don't want him to stay.

Yes, he was by far and away the best center available for the MLE, but there's a reason he was available for the MLE. As I said when he was signed, this either works out great (and potentially propel the Wizards to the ECF) or it goes horribly (another 6-8 seed and first round exit ... they are too talented and the bottom of the East too bereft for them to miss the playoffs barring injury).

I get it, and E did get it right, I forgot which I had exactly said. 

I guess for me it just remains to be seen. I’m a patient guy and I’m willing to see how Wall/Beal/Morris & Howard get a long seeing as they’ll be the strongest personalities on the team before I’m going to just say it’s definitely going to be a repeat of the past.

Edited by turtle28

• 1 month later...

https://es.pn/2pveVVX

“How about Otto PorterKelly Oubre, and Markieff Morris for Gibson and Butler? Would the Wiz have to toss in a pick? I'm unconvinced. Minnesota gets three legit rotation players for a post-Butler playoff push, and two versatile young wings in Oubre and Porter. This deal pushes Minnesota a hair over the tax, but they'd be able to duck back under. (The simpler deal -- Porter and Oubre for Butler -- takes Minnesota too far over.)”

I make that move in a second.