Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That pass really needed to be more at chest height, but good awareness to realize that you had a guy all alone at the post (really bad defense though as the one defender is just standing there watching the play ... only reason it was a bucket and not a block was the defender doing absolutely nothing).

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

Good push off combined with a so-so pick.

Hey, push off’s have resulted in some of the best NBA moments of all time. All I know is that Wes Jr is utilizing Deni much better than Brooks. Brooks tried to make Deni a 3 and D spot up shooter which is ridiculous bc that’s not him, just like it wasn’t a good idea to try to make Troy Brown, Jr a 3 and D spot up shooter bc neither are that.

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Getting Russell Westbrook away from Deni Avdija may be the single greatest humanitarian act Lebron James has ever performed. 

I will say, for all the grief I have given you Wizards' fans over the years, this is the first year in a long while you probably have something to start to be optimistic about.

You will need to see how Unseld Jr. actually does when the games matter, but there are pieces there to get back to the playoffs. Still think the team has a 2nd round playoff loss ceiling, and Bertans' new contract is going to hold them back from getting right from a salary cap perspective, but there may be hope.

Of course, it's the Wizards so I would hedge that bet VERY carefully.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

That pass really needed to be more at chest height, but good awareness to realize that you had a guy all alone at the post (really bad defense though as the one defender is just standing there watching the play ... only reason it was a bucket and not a block was the defender doing absolutely nothing).

Oh well, we’ll take it, nothing is ever perfect. They’re not robots playing out there. The thing we should be focusing on is that Deni is developing pretty well which is a good sign for the future.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Hey, push off’s have resulted in some of the best NBA moments of all time. All I know is that Wes Jr is utilizing Deni much better than Brooks. Brooks tried to make Deni a 3 and D spot up shooter which is ridiculous bc that’s not him, just like it wasn’t a good idea to try to make Troy Brown, Jr a 3 and D spot up shooter bc neither are that.

Was just blatantly obvious. Also, did the guy he gave the forearm shiver to make the team?

Just now, turtle28 said:

Oh well, we’ll take it, nothing is ever perfect. They’re not robots playing out there. The thing we should be focusing on is that Deni is developing pretty well which is a good sign for the future.

Again, it showed good awareness. However, that probably won't work against most teams in the regular season if you pass like that as the wing defender wouldn't be caught so flat footed, staring at the play around hm.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I will say, for all the grief I have given you Wizards' fans over the years, this is the first year in a long while you probably have something to start to be optimistic about.

You will need to see how Unseld Jr. actually does when the games matter, but there are pieces there to get back to the playoffs. Still think the team has a 2nd round playoff loss ceiling, and Bertans' new contract is going to hold them back from getting right from a salary cap perspective, but there may be hope.

Of course, it's the Wizards so I would hedge that bet VERY carefully.

It’s the first time we have something to be optimistic about since 2017-18 before Wall got hurt. When Wall was healthy w/ Beal, Porter, Morris & Gortat we had reason to be optimistic about us being eastern conference contenders, but when Wall hurt his knees & tore his Achilles the year after signing his max extension there was certainly zero reason to be optimistic about the team up until now. 

I never thought just adding Westbrook last off-season in the Wall trade was enough to move the needle considering how Russ played & the youth/inconsistency of the front court. 

I still am not too optimistic about this team, they have better depth for sure but the East is much better than when Wall & Beal we’re leading this team 4-8 years ago except there’s no Lebron anymore.

I think the Wizards are a .500 team as currently constructed, at best 45 wins which puts us in the 6-8 seed and likely a first round exit again.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Was just blatantly obvious. Also, did the guy he gave the forearm shiver to make the team?

I don’t know who any of these players are except the Wizards players and the top 6 players on the Knicks, maybe top 7. Despite me caring about the Wizards, I don’t know other teams as well and I’m not the biggest NBA fan until the playoffs. It’s the same way I am with Hockey, I know the Caps but you’ll rarely see me watching a non-caps regular season game.

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

Again, it showed good awareness. However, that probably won't work against most teams in the regular season if you pass like that as the wing defender wouldn't be caught so flat footed, staring at the play around hm.

Maybe, I don’t know why you’re emphasizing this so much on just one play which really doesn’t mean much in regards to what will happen in the regular season. 

It’s almost like you’re trying to prove that despite Deni making a nice play, he still ain’t crap. Like Wizards fans can’t even be a little bit happy w/o you pestering us about it.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Edited by turtle28

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, I don’t know why you’re emphasizing this so much on just one play which really doesn’t mean much in regards to what will happen in the regular season.

Because it was one of only two plays that you posted of Deni since I was last here?

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s almost like you’re trying to prove that despite Deni making a nice play, he still ain’t crap. Like Wizards fans can’t even be a little bit happy w/o you pestering us about it.

I get that this may be a little PTSD from my previous laughing at the Wizards. I did say it showed good awareness on his part (third time now!), but that it wasn't as "WOWZA!" as the highlight made it out to be.

He's young and coming off an injury. However, it looked like he had a good handle and good awareness. Still needs improvement, but there's good stuff there.

Does that perhaps calm you down a bit?