Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Wow. Beal is the best between both teams, but after that I would take probably Randle, Walker, Barrett, and Fournier before anyone on the Wizards. 

I’d say that I’d take Dinwiddie over Barrett and Fournier but I forgot they had Kemba Walker now. Randle & Walker are definitely better than anything we have outside of Beal and it remains to be seen what Rui is going to be this year. My feeling is that he’s going to put up similar production to RJ Barrett just in different ways, but TBD.

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd go a step further and say if Wes Jr can get even a modicum of effort on defense he will already be more successful than Brooks. The thing about the three's... I agree they 100% have to shoot better. I don't think a lot of them were bad looks, they just didn't fall. 

Wes is already a better coach than Brooks in my book. It just took one game from me to see the effort this team gave, it was more effort I ever saw out of a Brooks coaches Wizards team except when we were in the playoffs 4 to 5 years ago before Wall kept continuously getting hurt and Ernie traded away our entire front line.

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

One thing I noticed with Bertans is that at least he was giving effort on the defensive end even if his shot wasn’t falling. Gooden pointed that out during the game, so it’s clear that Wes Jr has already had an impact on this team and it’s only game one.

I would I equate the Wizards to the Knicks. The Knicks might even have less talent than the Wizards bs we have Beal & Dinwiddie but, the Knicks play hard & play defense bc that’s what Tibs demands and if his players aren’t giving it, they won’t play. 

If Wes Jr can get that kind of effort on D out of this Wizards team, we have an outside shot of being a top 5 team in the East but, they also have to shoot better from 3 or take less bad 3 pointers. You can’t shoot 19% from 3 (5-27 as you said) and expect to win too many games.

They worked their tails off on defense in game one last year, too. I posted about it, actually, and said “hey, if they keep up this effort all year, they’ll be a decent defensive team and should be firmly above the play-in mess.” 

And then the rest of the games happened 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

They worked their tails off on defense in game one last year, too. I posted about it, actually, and said “hey, if they keep up this effort all year, they’ll be a decent defensive team and should be firmly above the play-in mess.” 

And then the rest of the games happened 😂

The difference is that I don’t think Wes will put up with poor efforts like Brooks did. I guess we’ll find out 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Hip injury. Kept him out for precautionary reasons. Can’t help but think how much further along this team would be had they made the Golden State trade? Sigh. 

They’re just fine. The team played great tonight beating a fellow playoff team w/o Beal & Rui. 135-134 in overtime.

19/38 from 3, Dinwiddie Bertans & Kuzma were huge down the stretch hitting hig shots.

Dinwiddie: 34 pts (6-9 from 3), 6 rebs, 9 assts 

Kuzma: 26 pts (5-8 from 3), 11 rebs, 2 assts, 1 steal. Back to back double doubles to start his Wizards career.

Neto: 18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 assts, 2 steals, 1 block

Bertans: 17 pts(4-9 from 3), 2 rebs, 1 assts, 1 steal

Harrell: 14 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assts, 1 block

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They’re just fine. The team played great tonight beating a fellow playoff team w/o Beal & Rui. 135-134 in overtime.

19/38 from 3, Dinwiddie Bertans & Kuzma were huge down the stretch hitting hig shots.

Dinwiddie: 34 pts (6-9 from 3), 6 rebs, 9 assts 

Kuzma: 26 pts (5-8 from 3), 11 rebs, 2 assts, 1 steal. Back to back double doubles to start his Wizards career.

Neto: 18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 assts, 2 steals, 1 block

Bertans: 17 pts(4-9 from 3), 2 rebs, 1 assts, 1 steal

Harrell: 14 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assts, 1 block

Yes they’re fine but I just don’t think Beal fits what they’re building. I think dealing him would’ve been in the best interest of the team. 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yes they’re fine but I just don’t think Beal fits what they’re building. I think dealing him would’ve been in the best interest of the team. 

If they would have blown the team up more for young players & picks when they traded Westbrook instead of vets like KCP & Harrell to go w/ Kuzma in that trade then I could see them also trading Beal. But, when they added the vets & signed Dinwiddie they were then building around Beal.

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I was listening to WJFK the other night and they had the founder of Bullets Forever on. His take was that the Wizards were in a bit of a wait-and-see mode: if the team is doing well, they might be come a buyer at or before the trade deadline (the discussion revolved around Ben Simmons); if they weren't doing well, they could trade Beal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I was listening to WJFK the other night and they had the founder of Bullets Forever on. His take was that the Wizards were in a bit of a wait-and-see mode: if the team is doing well, they might be come a buyer at or before the trade deadline (the discussion revolved around Ben Simmons); if they weren't doing well, they could trade Beal.

Yep, that’s how I see it too. It’s basically a half a season to see where they are and depending on where they are in late January, they may trade Beal.

Edited by turtle28