Reuben Foster charged with felony domestic violence

BroncoSojia

27 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Payoff. That's the problem with these high profile allegations. Ultimately you can't unbeat a women. She has to live with that no matter what. So she can either live a life of luxury as payback or get nothing while he goes to jail

That's a cynical...yet accurate take.    If there isn't a video.  If there's a video (which police can verify the timestamp), then the narrative changes completely.   If there's no video, well, it smells like a payoff (which might still save his career, but optics matter, and they sure look a lot better if said video exists and can be confirmed).

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Question, the DA still pressed charges even after she recanted the story and told them she was lying. Is that normal? I know it is extremely difficult to prosecute someone without the victim testifying, but the DA seemed content on going along with this even without her cooperation. What is the best case they could make against Foster? 

It isn't abnormal, especially if the DA doubts her new explanation. The question is if the video claim is true. Winning a DV case without a witness is pretty damn difficult either ways. We'll see if it goes to trial. I doubt it does.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

It isn't abnormal, especially if the DA doubts her new explanation. The question is if the video claim is true. Winning a DV case without a witness is pretty damn difficult either ways. We'll see if it goes to trial. I doubt it does.

That's what I figured but wasn't totally sure since the DA felt confident in their findings. 

10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Nothing. 

And therein lies the problem. An accusation is just an accusation. You should be innocent until proven guilty by the law. But what people do nowadays is automatically claim a girl is paid off or that the man is guilty in these cases. 

I agree that if DV is accused, it should be seriously investigated (regardless of the story being recanted) and (if credible) that person should be charged. That player should be punished by the NFL if charged. But if it's proven that the girl lied, some type of punishment should happen by the law. 

Gareon Conley (who was accused of rape) and Ezekiel Elliott are just the few examples of vengeful women getting away with false accusations and wasting a ton of taxpayer money. 

Just now, Tony7188 said:

And there lies the problem. An accusation is just an accusation. You should be innocent until proven guilty by the law. But what people do nowadays is automatically claim a girl is paid off or that the man is guilty in these cases. 

I agree that if DV is accused, it should be investigated (regardless of it being recanted) and (if credible) that person should be charged. That player should be punished by the law and the NFL if charged. But if it's proven that the girl lied, some type of punishment should happen by the law. 

Gareon Conley (who was accused of rape) and Ezekiel Elliott are just the few examples of vengeful woman getting away with false accusations. 

That's just in law. The court of public opinion is different. And honestly with rich athletes, a pay off is something that isn't beyond the pail. Ray Rices wife basically did everything should could to defend him and started attacking the league because they banned him for punching her in the face.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well, we know there's a video for sure now.   The question is how convincing it is, but this does line up with Foster's defense.

The next hearing I'm expecting all charges to be dropped but he also has a different Hearing in Alabama on the 3rd I believe for Marijuana arrest

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

The next hearing I'm expecting all charges to be dropped but he also has a different Hearing in Alabama on the 3rd I believe with me for Marijuana arrest

That just counts as a strike in the drug policy.  Nothing else.   If all charges dropped and there’s a video that clears him he’s in great shape to avoid a NFL suspension.   

He does need to make better life choices though. The 49ers would be well served to consider the Dez treatment (caretaker aka bodyguard with him) for Foster.  The Alabama arrest and his problems last offseason say this would be a wise investment.    He really has elite talent they should protect their investment.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

That just counts as a strike in the drug policy.  Nothing else.   If all charges dropped and there’s a video that clears him he’s in great shape to avoid a NFL suspension.   

He does need to make better life choices though. The 49ers would be well served to consider the Dez treatment (caretaker aka bodyguard with him) for Foster.  The Alabama arrest and his problems last offseason say this would be a wise investment.    He really has elite talent they should protect their investment.  

That would be his second strike because he how to dilute test the combine so he should have just a fine.

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

That would be his second strike because he how to dilute test the combine so he should have just a fine.

Yup so long as he hasn’t had other strikes. Remember we don’t hear about those not even teams get a notice.   Until the 4th strike and 1st suspension.  But yeah so far it’s only 2 strikes.

I was referring to a NFL suspension.   The risk is still there.  Having the charges dropped doesn’t put him in the clear.   As we saw with Zeke Elliott.   And there is still the weapon charge.  But a video that clears him would really help his case to escape league punishment.  

On 4/25/2018 at 11:26 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Question, the DA still pressed charges even after she recanted the story and told them she was lying. Is that normal? I know it is extremely difficult to prosecute someone without the victim testifying, but the DA seemed content on going along with this even without her cooperation. What is the best case they could make against Foster? 

Pretty sure if it's felony DV, the DA can still press charges and subpoena her if she doesn't want to cooperate (they aren't married). Civil court she'd be doing him a favor. I don't believe the same applies to Criminal proceedings. If no video can be produced, pretty sure it could still move forward, and possibly with some success. Though DV cases and crim law aren't my area of practice. @jrry32

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty sure if it's felony DV, the DA can still press charges and subpoena her if she doesn't want to cooperate (they aren't married). Civil court she'd be doing him a favor. I don't believe the same applies to Criminal proceedings. If no video can be produced, pretty sure it could still move forward, and possibly with some success. Though DV cases and crim law aren't my area of practice. @jrry32

The video is what separates Foster's claim of innocence from the usual victim recants, no?   Like @jrry32 said, it's not uncommon for victims to recant even if DV occurred - so the video is what will influence this case.   The fact there is a video produced that the DA is reviewing, though, it's noteworthy...to say the least.

36 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yes, you can subpoena her, but that strategy is generally a disfavored one. One of the cardinal rules for a trial lawyer is to never put a witness on the stand if you don't know what he/she might say. 

Archived