Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Packers linebacker Quay Walker, who was ejected from Sunday night’s game for pushing a member of the Lions’ athletic training staff, said today that he has spoken with him, apologized and hopes to be forgiven.

Walker told reporters in the Packers’ locker room on Monday that he and the trainer had a long conversation, that he apologized and that he asked that the apology be passed along to the entire Lions organization.

Walker: “Just a selfish act. Just very stupid, dumb, I would say immature of me. Once again, I made the same mistake twice. I just always seem to overreact at times and I did it again last night. In the split-second after I did it, I asked myself, ‘Why did I just do that?'”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/quay-walker-says-he-spoke-with-lions-trainer-hopes-to-be-forgiven/

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers says he won’t hold the Packers hostage. Regardless, he currently holds all the cards.

Under the contract Rodgers received in March 2022, his compensation for 2023 shoots to nearly $60 million. And it’s fully guaranteed.

If Rodgers wants to stay, he’s staying. If they’d cut him (they won’t), they’d owe him the money. And while they could trade him, no other team would take on that financial responsibility if he makes it clear he doesn’t want to be there.

If he wants to stay, he will. And if the Packers decide they want him to go, the challenge in the coming weeks will be to get him to come to that conclusion on his own.

But why would he retire? It’s $60 million. For one more year of football. Sixty million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/aaron-rodgers-holds-all-the-cards-for-2023/

i remember the old Packers' front office offering Favre 20 mil or something to take a pr position with the team. maybe Rodgers gets a similar offer, and becomes a GB "ambassador."

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i remember the old Packers' front office offering Favre 20 mil or something to take a pr position with the team. maybe Rodgers gets a similar offer, and becomes a GB "ambassador."

Except that Favre would have been good at it since he was so beloved by the Packers' faithful.  I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers has that level of affinity with them.  

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers says he won’t hold the Packers hostage. Regardless, he currently holds all the cards.

Under the contract Rodgers received in March 2022, his compensation for 2023 shoots to nearly $60 million. And it’s fully guaranteed.

If Rodgers wants to stay, he’s staying. If they’d cut him (they won’t), they’d owe him the money. And while they could trade him, no other team would take on that financial responsibility if he makes it clear he doesn’t want to be there.

If he wants to stay, he will. And if the Packers decide they want him to go, the challenge in the coming weeks will be to get him to come to that conclusion on his own.

But why would he retire? It’s $60 million. For one more year of football. Sixty million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/aaron-rodgers-holds-all-the-cards-for-2023/

If it's an offer that's significantly less than the $60 million, there's no reason for Rodgers to take it. 

Frankly, his salary next year is guaranteed if he comes back. He could come back, develop "bilateral leg weakness" and cash those checks. Rodgers has made a lot of money, but $60 million guaranteed is a hell of a lot to turn down.

The Pack may have to eat a significant portion of that to trade him as well. And if Rodgers is noncommittal towards playing beyond 2023, there's not going to be a big return for him in a trade.

Simply put, the Packers bungled this terribly by not trading him last year when his value was at its peak. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If it's an offer that's significantly less than the $60 million, there's no reason for Rodgers to take it. 

you sure? Aaron could retire with a planned work out in advance to take a 25 mil salary and be a pr Ambassador.

go to Peru, eat mushrooms, make $25 million, tweet some nice things. that's not a bad gig.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

you sure? Aaron could retire with a planned work out in advance to take a 25 mil salary and be a pr Ambassador.

go to Peru, eat mushrooms, make $25 million, tweet some nice things. that's not a bad gig.

Sure, but it's Aaron Rodgers. 

I think he might just be petty enough to not want to give the Packers that easy out. 

If Rodgers retires, he walks away from $60M and the Packers eat $40M in dead cap space.  He's not walking away from that, unless he really doesn't care about the money (he's already earned $300M so it's not like he's going to hurt for cash the rest of his life).  If his hatred for Gutey is really that intense, it wouldn't surprise me to see him do that.  

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Frankly, his salary next year is guaranteed if he comes back. He could come back, develop "bilateral leg weakness" and cash those checks. Rodgers has made a lot of money, but $60 million guaranteed is a hell of a lot to turn down.

The Pack may have to eat a significant portion of that to trade him as well. And if Rodgers is noncommittal towards playing beyond 2023, there's not going to be a big return for him in a trade.

Simply put, the Packers bungled this terribly by not trading him last year when his value was at its peak. 

Agree with all of this. No way anyone is turning down $60 million. 

12 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Agree with all of this. No way anyone is turning down $60 million. 

You never count out a person with an ax to grind.  I know at least 2 people in my extended family that chose not to work solely because they didn't want to pay for child support, thereby screwing themselves out of money as well as the child they had.    While it's not $60M, apparently some will turn down jobs for many reasons just out of spite even if it hurts themselves.  

Edited by swede700