Your First Round Disappointments (Potentially)

coordinator0

What prospects would you be... less than pleased with the Ravens taking at 16 or at another spot if the pick is traded? 

For me the obvious pick is Hayden Hurst whether it's stick at 16 or moving down. He's old for a prospect and still needs to develop. At tight end, a notoriously difficult position to acclimate to in the NFL if you aren't a pseudo slot receiver or pure blocker. Hurst also isn't a tremendous athlete that transcends the concerns about age/development. I just don't see it man. That's the type of player you take towards the beginning of the third round pick when you want someone you can talk yourself into being safe (not that Hurst is).

Two others would be Vita Vea and Da'Ron Payne. They're fine players, but the Ravens absolutely don't need any more defensive linemen and more specifically defensive linemen in the mold that those guys are. Bryan would be interesting, as would Hurst if you clear him medically.

It might be easier to list who I wouldn't be disappointed with, especially if we stay put at 16 xD

TBH I'm not a huge fan of most of the mid-1st round prospects in this draft as fits for the Ravens current or near-future needs.

There is no DT or TE I would want in the 1st round, and outside of Quentin Nelson and maybe Denzel Ward, no OG or CB either.  I can't say I'd be enthused about any of the OTs or WRs unless we trade down at least 7+ spots, and it would be more true with all the C prospects.

any TE as none has enough talent to justify a 1st round pick. none of them is better as what we already have imo.

and i don't agree with you @drd23 regarding spot value, if you are sure about a prospect and expect him to contribute significantly for his career you take him at 16 w/o even thinking twice.

Hayden Hurst (watch he’s the pick since this is the only thing we can all agree on as a forum?)

Derrius Guice/Sony Michel- Not that I don’t like either back, just don’t see much if any separation between one of these guys and a Chubb/Penny, thus taking the latter in the second would be infinitely better IMO.

Christian Kirk- He doesn’t seem to be as much in the first round conversation now as before, but of all the receivers that have been in the first round conversation, he’s the only one I’d be blatantly against. I could see the Ravens falling in love with his punt return ability and just like I hated using prime Lardarius Webb on return units, so would I hate having a 1st round receiver there. What’s more, I just don’t see Kirk as being better at any trait than any of the top options.

Beyond these options, I could probably talk myself into most any pick. Be it a corner or DT, I could rationalize most of these options.

Short of devastating strategic errors or reaches like DB pointed out with Michel and Kirk, there's really no one I'm primed against. It will come more down to who's left on the board after we pick. If we pick Courtland Sutton with Derwin James still on the board...I'll have an issue. 

I've gone back and forth on McGlinchey being a disappointing pick at 16. As it stands I would be fine with him if the Ravens went that route. He isn't a special tackle prospect, but good enough to go in the middle of the first round. Being able to play on either side is a pretty nice plus too especially since Stanley has had some durability issues.

But, let us not forget that Hurst is in-line to be the starter at right tackle. If that doesn't scare you into thinking McGlinchey is fine at 16 then nothing will. James is fine at guard... not so much outside. 

To be honest I just can't find anybody else I would be disappointed with at 16 besides the three I mentioned. I mean there's a small chance somebody we don't expect at all is high on their board... but that doesn't really happen with the Ravens. At least in the first round. So I'm not really putting much concern into the Ravens taking somebody like... I don't know, Mike Gesicki at 16. Just as long as it isn't Hurst, Vea, or Payne I'll be fine.

It will be Hurst, Vea, or Payne.

13 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Any TE, QB or DL* pretty much.  RB would be a slightly tough pill to swallow as well.

* Vita Vea, if he were somehow there, wouldn't upset me.

Same. It wouldn’t be ideal because we don’t need that and we have plenty of young players already there.

But I could at least get excited by the prospect of how dominant that DL could be.

43 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Same. It wouldn’t be ideal because we don’t need that and we have plenty of young players already there.

But I could at least get excited by the prospect of how dominant that DL could be.

If it was Vea or maybe a Taven Bryan I could get behind it. It would also be an option to go with Vea and trade Pierce for a 4. round pick, while Bryan would be a backup to Urban for a year and then sub in once Urban gets injured.

I’ve cooled off on Bryan. I think I rated him too highly initially because I missed out on JJ Watt. But in retrospect, Watt was more instinctive and as a walk on incredibly competitive. Bryan’s athleticism makes me really want to believe in him, but something just seems “off” with him. He doesn’t seem instinctive and gets lost in the backfield too often for me to feel comfortable. I want to be on his bandwagon, but I think when I was, it was a far too bumpy ride.

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’ve cooled off on Bryan. I think I rated him too highly initially because I missed out on JJ Watt. But in retrospect, Watt was more instinctive and as a walk on incredibly competitive. Bryan’s athleticism makes me really want to believe in him, but something just seems “off” with him. He doesn’t seem instinctive and gets lost in the backfield too often for me to feel comfortable. I want to be on his bandwagon, but I think when I was, it was a far too bumpy ride.

I have the feeling, that once he gets an idea of, what he is supposed to do, he will be a completely different player.

Archived