College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

17 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Your comment in bold seems to be a bit contradictory.  I understand that you are not willing to overdraft for a QB but you're willing to overdraft for a RB?  The reason why I say drafting a RB #1 overall is over drafting is because  over the last 31 years, only two RB's have been selected #1 overall (1986 Bo Jackson / 1995 Ki-Jana Carter).  The reliance on the RB position is nowhere near what it used to be when teams were searching for that one workhorse back. It's generally more of a passing league or RB by committee.  Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Bell/Zeke on the team and I actually do like Barkley but RB's just don't go #1 overall anymore which is why I felt your comment was contradictory to the point you were trying to make.

Peace

If you look back I said trade down to the team that is going to come up and reach on a QB. Ideally we don’t have the exact number 1 pick to be in that scenario id rather pick 2-4 somewhere and be able to get Barkley. But if a team wants to move up a spot or two like San Fran and Chicago I take that trade and draft Barkley.

Im just saying when you look at the 2013 draft and the guys that went in the first round how bad a decision that would’ve been to drat EJ Manuel or Geno Smith number 1 just because you want the highest rated QB.

Im not saying this class is as bad as that one I’m just saying that logic is extremely flawed. You don’t reach on a QB just because you need one and to me that’s true for any position.

11 minutes ago, brownie man said:

If you look back I said trade down to the team that is going to come up and reach on a QB. Ideally we don’t have the exact number 1 pick to be in that scenario id rather pick 2-4 somewhere and be able to get Barkley. But if a team wants to move up a spot or two like San Fran and Chicago I take that trade and draft Barkley.

Im just saying when you look at the 2013 draft and the guys that went in the first round how bad a decision that would’ve been to drat EJ Manuel or Geno Smith number 1 just because you want the highest rated QB.

Im not saying this class is as bad as that one I’m just saying that logic is extremely flawed. You don’t reach on a QB just because you need one and to me that’s true for any position.

You do reach for QB's though because any guy who is perceived as a quality starter at that position probably goes top 10.

All positions aren't the same.  The best kicker in history isn't worth a first rounder but a guy who can be a reliable, above average qb is probably worth a couple of them.

There's no excuse to not get the top guy in this class if able. 

GM muses about benefits of a Darnold return "Right now, Darnold may not be coming out, and he was the one with all the hype," the GM said. "You see him on film, he doesn't seem settled in the pocket. He's not secure with the ball, he wasn't throwing those interceptions last year. Is he a first round kid? Yeah, I could see that. But he might benefit from another season at USC." The GM may get his wish. AM1340's Ben Allbright cited a source earlier this week who said Darnold was "unlikely" to leave USC after this season.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740630-sam-darnold-says-hes-made-no-decision-on-entering-2018-nfl-draft

GM: Not sure teams will clamor for QB Rosen "He hasn't handled the spotlight well," the GM said. "You want maturity from a quarterback. I still think Andrew Luck was that prototypical guy a few years back, Deshaun Watson this past draft. They were poised and polished. (Rosen's) comments on school were worrisome. If he thinks he has to study now in college, in the NFL that workload is triple." Rosen has thrown for 2,620 yards with a 19/8 TD/INT rate through seven games. Despite questions about his maturity, we still think he has a decent chance of becoming the first quarterback taken this spring.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2018-quarterbacks-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-allen-saquon-barkley/6d0qax88ltgs1enp65yfldkuu

GM: PSU RB Barkley could go No. 1 overall "I think he has a shot to be No. 1 — he's that good," the GM said. "He's carried Penn State. He can do it all. A lot of teams, I think, are going to look at what the Cowboys did a couple of years ago with (Ezekiel Elliott). To me, Barkley is that guy, the top player in the draft right now. He’s a workhorse, he doesn't lose the football." The GM went on to say that a contender could move up for Barkley. "He'll put you over the top. Some team (is) going to be willing to overpay because he can make a middle of the pack team into a contender," he said.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2018-quarterbacks-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-allen-saquon-barkley/6d0qax88ltgs1enp65yfldkuu

All per Rotoworld 

2 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

GM muses about benefits of a Darnold return "Right now, Darnold may not be coming out, and he was the one with all the hype," the GM said. "You see him on film, he doesn't seem settled in the pocket. He's not secure with the ball, he wasn't throwing those interceptions last year. Is he a first round kid? Yeah, I could see that. But he might benefit from another season at USC." The GM may get his wish. AM1340's Ben Allbright cited a source earlier this week who said Darnold was "unlikely" to leave USC after this season.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740630-sam-darnold-says-hes-made-no-decision-on-entering-2018-nfl-draft

GM: Not sure teams will clamor for QB Rosen "He hasn't handled the spotlight well," the GM said. "You want maturity from a quarterback. I still think Andrew Luck was that prototypical guy a few years back, Deshaun Watson this past draft. They were poised and polished. (Rosen's) comments on school were worrisome. If he thinks he has to study now in college, in the NFL that workload is triple." Rosen has thrown for 2,620 yards with a 19/8 TD/INT rate through seven games. Despite questions about his maturity, we still think he has a decent chance of becoming the first quarterback taken this spring.

GM: PSU RB Barkley could go No. 1 overall "I think he has a shot to be No. 1 — he's that good," the GM said. "He's carried Penn State. He can do it all. A lot of teams, I think, are going to look at what the Cowboys did a couple of years ago with (Ezekiel Elliott). To me, Barkley is that guy, the top player in the draft right now. He’s a workhorse, he doesn't lose the football." The GM went on to say that a contender could move up for Barkley. "He'll put you over the top. Some team (is) going to be willing to overpay because he can make a middle of the pack team into a contender," he said.

All per Rotoworld 

No different that the picking of nits that happens to the top qb prospects every year.

Jameis threw too many picks...Mariotta runs too much...Goff's offense.....Watson's system...Trubisky's experience......

College football is the only sport where they promote going back to school and continuing to regress under inferior coaching in an amateur environment. It makes no sense. Helton and Martin have done more to hurt Darnold's development than help it. Going back would give him more experience... in picking up bad habits.

He needs to turn pro and develop under world-class, professional coaches.

53 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

College football is the only sport where they promote going back to school and continuing to regress under inferior coaching in an amateur environment. It makes no sense. Helton and Martin have done more to hurt Darnold's development than help it. Going back would give him more experience... in picking up bad habits.

He needs to turn pro and develop under world-class, professional coaches.

I tend to agree with this.

Most college offenses don't correlate to nfl concepts and schemes.  Getting better at those just makes you a better college qb.

Besides, why go back if you're a top 5 pick?

22 hours ago, brownie man said:

However, we have traded back in the past and missed out on the QB. Extra first rounders are nice but they ultimately do nothing if you do not have a franchise QB. This team has not picked the best QB of the class since Couch. If we could put rookie Couch on this roster right now, he would be a very good QB. If Rosen or Rudolph or Mayfield, or Allen has the potential to be the guy on this team then you pick him. We missed on Wentz because of a trade back (8 players with at least 2 more coming... It was a good trade not saying it wasn't. Hindsight is always 20/20) and Watson because of the trade back philosophy. Everyone said the 2018 draft is going to be a QB draft. There will be a very good franchise QB available to us. If we past on him for an RB and another trade back then this organization is doomed to crumble and rebuild again. 

Now in an alternate scenario, what if we got our franchise QB via free agency? Then you take Barkley without thinking. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I tend to agree with this.

Most college offenses don't correlate to nfl concepts and schemes.  Getting better at those just makes you a better college qb.

Besides, why go back if you're a top 5 pick?

If you like college brah. see Matt Leinart. 

johnny would of gone back but he was in hot water. 

16 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

They just need to pay Cousins what he thinks he's worth (too much I assume) and draft the best players.  They have the money to spend on a franchise type QB, so they need to spend it.  It's not rocket surgery.

This would be the best case scenario IMO.

I'd love to see Cousins, trade down from 1 for a slew of picks and BPA.

Archived