What I want and don't want in the draft

James Lofton

12 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you lol

I just don't have the phobia of moving guys. 

IDK why but it reminds me of how we couldn't consider pass rushers from FSU for a decade

Who was the guy that came out maybe 8 years ago? Someone on here kept calling him the relentless one?

Do not:

DT(-only) sooner than Round 2 (preferably not before Day 3)
RB not-named-Barkley sooner than Round 5's comp-section
QB other than a few late(ish)-round fliers
Landry at 14 (like him, but too one-dimensional for my tastes at 14; would much prefer him in the mid-20's/later)
Josh Jackson

Want:

(Open to pretty much anything else) 

15 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

IDK why but it reminds me of how we couldn't consider pass rushers from FSU for a decade

I'd add that athlete/positionless players are pretty much the new wave in the NFL right now. It's just practical to try to have the greatest number of athletes on the field at this point.

So yeah, I don't agree with that either.

Want:

Gute to stick to his board. If he wants to trade up? Fine.  If he trades down? Fine.  He gets a lot of leeway from me in his first year.  I like what he's done so far and have no option but to trust him.

Don't want:

Landry at 14.  Haynes has the same first step and can be had in round 3-4.

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Later rounds?  3-5?  Absolutely.  With a premium pick (first/second), I think we gotta focus on our weaknesses before we get insurance for a strength. 

Day 3. I'd like to grab Cedrick Wilson in the 3rd in particular unless Goedert or Gesicki fall to the 3rd which I doubt.

15 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Who was the guy that came out maybe 8 years ago? Someone on here kept calling him the relentless one?

I know who you're talking about but the hell if I remember his name

18 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Everett Brown?

Yeaaaa that was it. Clay had more sacks in his first season than Brown did in a career. We got the *real* relentless one. 

As for the topic on-hand: really I haven't done enough scouting. I'm lower on Derwin James and Harold Landry than some, but would be far from upset with either. Of the guys I watched, the only one I really don't want is Isaiah Oliver - just felt like he got abused by underclassmen and smaller guys vs USC. 

For as much as I've fought against the rhetoric of "don't draft a guard 1st round" - I don't think this is the draft for us to do it. Also don't want any of the WRs (do like Gallup in later rounds).

What I do want to see is us stick to our board and to value. A lot of things I'm reading on this forum feel very need driven. Sure I'd love to get an EDGE or CB, but if it's not there and we go with someone rated really high at a different position, I'm okay with it. E.g. I'd rather take a Vita Vea/Roquan Smith than a Josh Jackson/Jaire Alexander/Lorenzo Carter. 

Do want:

1) IDEAL: Trade down in round 1. This allows either a trade up in round 2 or 3, or gaining an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, especially early ones in those rounds.
2) A different IDEAL: CHUBB, EDMUNDS, WARD AT #14
3) GOOD ENOUGH : Landry or Davenport
4) REASONABLE ALTERNATIVE  Vander Esch (looking at him as one who can learn OLB)
5) I'm ok with drafting players out of position (DE/OLB, OT/OG, CB/S or S/ILB). I'm also ok drafting RB, QB, ILB, TE, DL, S, interior OL, but not before round 4
6) Want to come out of day 1 and 2 with an OLB and CB. Ideally, with a WR as well.

Don't want
1) Anything other than Edge or CB at #14      (both Edmunds and Esch could play Edge.....and I include Fitzpatrick as a possible CB).
2) To give up Packers 2nd or 3rd round pick for any reason other than using it as part of a deal to move higher in the same round.
3) A DL or OL in the first two rounds.
4) 12 picks taken as they stand now, with no deals made.
4) I probably would not like a pick-for-player exchange where it's the Packers giving up the pick, at least not for a high pick. 

Unknown
1) Packers trade a high pick this year for one next year. Could be good, could be bad. Theoretically better value next year for giving up a high pick this year, I can't make up my mind

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

You ruined my whole day

4 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't have a problem with it, I just don't want Fitz. 

In a worse case scenario, I'd be ok with it but I don't want to pass on Derwin, Landry, Davenport, or Hughes for him. 

But honestly what do I know. I'll trust the process

Archived