MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I re-watched the fight also.  This time I was sober, so I could fully appreciate it.  Not sure what you were watching.  Conor was absolutely dominated.  All those that thought that Conor would somehow get his KO were sorely disappointed...and wrong.  You have to acknowledge the beauty in every aspect of this sport to appreciate this fight, and the greatness of Khabib.  In round 1 he takes a shot from 10 feet away, and Conor still couldn't stop it.  Khabib did his best to advance his position, and stayed on top for the entirety of the round.  While he wasn't able to tee off, he continued to work position.  Conor did ok to not take damage, and tried his best to conserve his energy.  We all know that dude has 2 good rounds in him, and that's it.    That round is easily 10 9 for Khabib.  How the hell you say I'd make no decision on this round is ridiculous, and you know it.  Round 2 Khabib beats him at his own game and lands the best punch of the fight.  He gets on top and beats the dog snot out of him near the end of the round.  That is a 10 8 round for Khabib.  People are quick to jump up and say that Conor won round 3, and while I would agree, it wasn't a slam dunk.  As I previously stated, we know that Conor has 2 rounds to take someone out, and then the gas tank is empty.  Round 3, while Khabib isn't being as aggressive with the takedowns, Conor should really be taking advantage, but....he can't.  He lands a few punches...stuffed a couple takedowns....but also eats a few shots.  Khabib had no fear of his strikes, and walked right through whatever Conor was throwing.  Conor landed more, however, and won that round.  Round 4 Khabib gets back to business.  The takedown is there, and Khabib takes it.  Conor the quitter, the tap machine, decides that he is done, and essentially gives up his back to Khabib, and taps to a neck crank.  He doesn't tap to a choke, but a neck crank.  I'm not saying that a neck crank isn't painful, but most fighters would not tap to that, because they have way more heart.

I can respect that analysis but the whole "He quits after the first 2 rounds if he can't knock him out" is old and ridiculous. I realize Nate Diaz is far from a world beater, but if you watched that fight, unless you are just a guy that hates everything about Mcgregor, you could see that in that fight, he had to dig deep in the 4th round because right before the 4th round started, it looked like his *** was about to be handed to him. And then in the 4th, Diaz gets destroyed. 

And....what do you expect? He's only ever had to fight past the 3rd round with Diaz and Khabib, while fighting a full 3 with Holloway. Everything else was Round 1-2. 

I'm not bias towards any fighters besides maybe Dillishaw and and Johnson

16 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I can respect that analysis but the whole "He quits after the first 2 rounds if he can't knock him out" is old and ridiculous. I realize Nate Diaz is far from a world beater, but if you watched that fight, unless you are just a guy that hates everything about Mcgregor, you could see that in that fight, he had to dig deep in the 4th round because right before the 4th round started, it looked like his *** was about to be handed to him. And then in the 4th, Diaz gets destroyed. 

And....what do you expect? He's only ever had to fight past the 3rd round with Diaz and Khabib, while fighting a full 3 with Holloway. Everything else was Round 1-2. 

I'm not bias towards any fighters besides maybe Dillishaw and and Johnson

Oh I'm a conor hater...but I can acknowledge he is not a scrub.  I'll give you that he had to dig deep in the diaz fight.  I'm saying that his power and ability to ko someone seems very compromised after 2 rounds.

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Oh I'm a conor hater...but I can acknowledge he is not a scrub.  I'll give you that he had to dig deep in the diaz fight.  I'm saying that his power and ability to ko someone seems very compromised after 2 rounds.

I think any one's KO ability is shot once they get in the middle of round 3. Only things that happen after Round 2 are MDs, Subs, and luck shots.

7 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Conor the quitter, the tap machine, decides that he is done, and essentially gives up his back to Khabib, and taps to a neck crank.  He doesn't tap to a choke, but a neck crank.  I'm not saying that a neck crank isn't painful, but most fighters would not tap to that, because they have way more heart.

Honestly a neck crank is scarier than an RNC. If you don't tap to a neck crank, you're risking some serious damage. If you don't tap to a choke, you just go to sleep, but you're back ready to fight about a minute later. Zero lasting damage in almost all cases.

I don't think it was really a neck crank though. He wasn't under the chin, but from what I saw, he wasn't rotating the head and putting pressure on the neck. It looked to me like a RNC, but on the chin rather than under it. It might seem like it wasn't really "in", but that can actually be a lot more painful than a choke, and if you have a strong enough squeeze I'm pretty sure you can break someone's jaw. Khabib I think is strong enough to have done that.

So the point is, I wouldn't criticize Conor for giving up or tapping too easily here. He saved himself from Khabib cracking him like an egg.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Honestly a neck crank is scarier than an RNC. If you don't tap to a neck crank, you're risking some serious damage. If you don't tap to a choke, you just go to sleep, but you're back ready to fight about a minute later. Zero lasting damage in almost all cases.

I don't think it was really a neck crank though. He wasn't under the chin, but from what I saw, he wasn't rotating the head and putting pressure on the neck. It looked to me like a RNC, but on the chin rather than under it. It might seem like it wasn't really "in", but that can actually be a lot more painful than a choke, and if you have a strong enough squeeze I'm pretty sure you can break someone's jaw. Khabib I think is strong enough to have done that.

So the point is, I wouldn't criticize Conor for giving up or tapping too easily here. He saved himself from Khabib cracking him like an egg.

It doesnt matter if it was a neck crank, rnc, or just a chin smash. The fact remains he did nothing to fight it. He rolled over gave his neck and did nothing to fight off the choke. 

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Just read on ESPN that T-Wood is thinking about moving to MW to get a 2nd belt? That would be interesting. Would love to see him fight Romero or someone that can match his wrestling

Crazy how everyone is switching weight. No double champs to every champ being a double. Hopefully Dillashaw can be a quad champ and get some really exciting fights.

Edited by eagles101

TJ vs Max and Conor would be intriguing. The reach advantages of Holloway and Conor would be big but I don't put much stock into reach.

Woodley vs Whittaker.... I honestly have no clue how that would play out.

Don't think it would happen though. Woodley is hated by Dana and Dana would not want him getting a 2nd belt.