MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Ideally, Max wins against Ferguson, vacates the FW crown, Aldo wins it back and rides off into the sunset before Frankie becomes a 2 weight world champion afterwards. Reason I say that is, no chance they do Aldo-Edgar 3 for the vacated belt, right? 

Not ideal to me lol. Even if Max loses and does so in the next 4-5 months he can easily go back to FW and fight whichever fighter was 1-2 fights away and if they got that win in that timeframe it sets up perfectly. 

11 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

They're not screwing Poirier.

I understand why he'd be frustrated, he's beaten pretty much everyone he needs to beat to deserve a title shot. But the problem is just that there are so many amazing fighters ahead of him. Tony and Max have better cases than Dustin. Very little or no question about that. If it was Conor getting a rematch for a title/interim title, then yeah maybe he has a right to complain. But these guys are both on 10+ win streaks, and Max has successfully defended a title several times. He's not getting skipped over by some nobody like James Vick

Poirier is 16-4-1 in the UFC and finished Alvarez, Gaethje, and Pettis in his last 3. You really expect him to take a fight against Al Iaquinta in what would probably be an ESPN+ card? 

He's already acknowledged that Tony is ahead of him. He wants either a title shot or a fight to get him that title shot, and I think that's pretty reasonable. Max does not have a better case for an interim title fight at LW, unless he is vacating the FW title. I get everyone is obsessed with double champs at this point but an interim belt isn't that. Cowboy does not have a better case to draw Conor. Yes, Poirier most likely loses both of those fights, but he's earned one of those two spots. 

Edited by JonStark

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

It's a pet peeve of mine when people say a champ like Holloway (or Conor, when he first went to challenge for the 155 belt), needs to "get in line" at the new division. Guy's on a 13 fight win streak (10 by stoppage), undoubtedly one of the best P4P fighters in the world, and you're going to discount all that because they weren't at 155? Tony I could see an argument for being ahead, but Max deserves a title shot at 155 more than Dustin does, if he wants to go to 155.

I agree with that. Not to mention his last 4 fights he finished guys who were legit threats to him as well. 

I know its been less than 3 years but its hard to forget Poirier getting his clock cleaned by Michael Johnson in 95 seconds...

53 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Just realized Thiago Santos fought 5 times in 2018! Tied a record, thats crazy especially since he took a loss in April and didn't fight til August. 

How do you think Santos v Jan B. goes? I think Santos will take it, all depends on how the TD attempts go for Jan but I'd bet on Santos

Ya...i see thiago winning too.

20 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Conor's not even talking about going to 145, so why are we talking about him?

And maybe Max wins against Tony and vacates at 145. then he doesn't hold anything up. So much in 145 is still up in the air, too much so to say he's holding the division up

Doesn't matter. If the fight was right, he probably would. He can beat anyone there and needs a win. Definitely an option so you can't pretend it's not.

If Max stays off the canvas, I think he'll obliterate Tony trading punches. Big If.

17 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Wooooow

A little sad we're not seeing Tony vs Max, but I'm still super excited for this. It should also make Dustin happy, which I'm happy about, because it would suck if the UFC lost him

I'm glad to see it because Max deserves an "Avengers" tour tbh. He's getting to avenge that loss 7 years ago to Poirier when he was 20. Next? McGregor. Too bad Dennis Bermudez retired.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm glad to see it because Max deserves an "Avengers" tour tbh. He's getting to avenge that loss 7 years ago to Poirier when he was 20. Next? McGregor. Too bad Dennis Bermudez retired.

Oh for sure. It slipped my mind at first that Holloway and Poirier fought already. That was Holloway's first fight in the UFC. Crazy to think how far both have come from the first fight to this one. Huge moment for both guys.

saw some guy on Twitter call for an Edgar-Volkanovski title fight at 145 if Max is done there. That would be amazing. even as an interim title fight, that would make a lot of sense right now.

I'm guessing they'll wait until after 236 to do sign anything for featherweight, since Max will probably just go back if he loses this. Although since it sounds like Nunes-Holm isn't happening, they might end up making Aldo vs whoever for an interim title, since they need a headliner for the Brazil card.