MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Wow, I didn't know Santos knocked out Anthony Smith. I guess that loss to Branch set him back while Lionheart beat up on some over the hill veterans and a former title challenger lol. 

Yea it was a MW too though, but yea the loss to Branch hurt a lot. I'm still surprised Lionheart is getting the next shot considering the 3 wins like you said were vs 2 garbage guys albeit the Volkan win was definitely legit

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Here's a question @Buckrock101

How do you see the Pettis-Wonderboy fight going down?

Pettis's strength is moving forward while Wonderboy is a counter striker. I've tried to be as partial as possible but, am I wrong for thinking Pettis has a legit shot to beat him? 

You didn't ask me but I think you aren't wrong in thinking he has a legit shot to win. Everyone has mentioned stylistically this is a great matchup and it is. My biggest concerns are:

1. Can he make it thru the fight without injury? Last 2 losses were via injury. Those were great fights but being the smaller fighter you absolutely wont win with 1 hand

2. What is his clearer path to victory? Not sure he has 1 punch/kick KO power vs a bigger fighter and to outpoint someone so much bigger wont be easy either. He'll need to land combinations which wont be easy vs Wonderboy

I know we all love the standup matchup here but it does hurt Showtime at least a little that its incredibly unlikely he'll get a chance for a submission right? He is such a dangerous grappler and is subbed Charles Oliveira which is impressive. 

You're right Beekay that he is one of those guys that will never fight for a title but is way too much fun to ever be let go. If the UFC cares at all about fighters who always put on fun fights and "go for it" he will have a job as long as he wants

Late to the party, but...

See the source image

LET'S GO DIAMOND!!!

I realize the odds of him winning are super low, but I'm glad he's finally getting a chance. As much as I love Max, it's weird I'll be rooting against him in back to back fights. Sucks he has to go up against two of my favorites in Ortega/Poirier.

16 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Anyone think that Woodley will be dethroned?

I see that most aren't giving Usman a chance, but I think he has a shot to win.  I'm not a fan of either him or Woodley, but I think Usman has the tools.  The wrestling is a wash, which makes this a standup fight.  Woodley likes to fight in spurts.  He attacks with combos, and then retreats to rest.  Usman is more of a pressure fighter.  I think Usman will win a decision.  He has to avoid getting clipped by one of Woodley's bursts of aggressiveness, and he should win.

35 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

No one who's fought Woodley for the title has been able to avoid that so far, so why do you think Usman will be different?

It's not like he is blasting ppl every time out...2 decisions against wonderboy...decision against maia...to me...usman is more aggressive on his feet than those 2...and he has a decent chin too.  He will have to blast usman like he did Lawler to win imo.

Just now, big poppa pump said:

It's not like he is blasting ppl every time out...2 decisions against wonderboy...decision against maia...to me...usman is more aggressive on his feet than those 2...and he has a decent chin too.  He will have to blast usman like he did Lawler to win imo.

He's knocked every one of them down. Lawler, Wonderboy x2, Maia, Till. Usman's unquestionably a worse striker than Lawler, Wonderboy and Till. and Usman being more aggressive is not something that's going to work in his favor. Just look what happened when Till decided to open up. He got put on his a$$.

I think you're not giving Woodley's striking the credit it deserves. He's a really good technical striker, whereas Usman is very elementary. He relies on his length and athleticism, and that's it.